PDA

View Full Version : Another Saddam?

Grandpa
19th May 2005, 22:19
The name is Karimov....

The country : Uzbekistan.

Ex-Communist apparachik, managed to seize his country under Yeltsin patronage.

Good friend of Putin Bush, received a lot of money and weapons as a reward for his help (US air base was installed there) against fundamentalist.

His troops opened fire on the mob after a riot in the city of Alendji and killed HUNDREDS of opponents.

The country is in decay, Usbek citizens are hungry, no work, no food, and at the same time Karimov, his family and allies make a lot of money.

Nobody seems daring to say anything to this dictator.

Reminds me of Saddam, 20 years ago, when he was so usefull against Iran he got all attentions from western world and received any weapons and WMD he could spread on Iranian troops and Kurds.

"A son of a b.tch for sure, but he is OUR son of a b.tch!"

West Coast
20th May 2005, 03:29
"Another Saddam?"

I'm sure French businessmen in many quarters are taking notice.

Alpha Leader
20th May 2005, 04:31
No video footage of George Galloway licking Karimov's boots (or backside :yuk: ) yet ....whilst setting up a charity, of course :ok:

fleigle
20th May 2005, 06:21
"I'm sure French businessmen in many quarters are taking notice"

Ils arrive a demain, toute suite, vraiment.;)

Mes apologise Grandpere, mais j'ai oublier beaucoupe.

airship
20th May 2005, 12:24
Before West Coast et al turn this thread into just another anti-American vs. anti-French shooting match etc...

If we're honest with ourselves and admit that neither country can be very proud of their track records in this respect; that we'd just be going over old ground; and that any slanging match would really just be about who was the worst, 2nd worst etc., could we perhaps move onto the interesting part of Grandpa's post about Uzbekistan and events in the making before they become history...?! :O

Why should the USA and Russia still need bases in the country? Now that there is a NATO presence in Afghanistan and at least a large part of it is now pacified, why keep the US base in Uzbekistan anymore? Should any civilised nation these days be seen to be consorting with bloody dictators? Why?! :uhoh:

ATNotts
20th May 2005, 12:33
Wise words Grandpa.

However not much chance of regime change here for as long as Karimov continues to support the "war on terror" as far as the Americans are concerned, and keeps Islamic fundamentalism at bay on Russia's doorstep.

Lets revisit the situation 5 years hence and see how we (the world) could have handled it better.

Grandpa
20th May 2005, 20:37
Some people see in this thread only a reason to jump on old reluctant horses and try to hide the subject behind the usual smoke screen.

THIS ISN'T ANOTHER PLAY OF DUBYA/CHIRAC EPISODE XXX!!!

No, it's the occasion to ask question to OUR leaders.

The fact is Karimov's cruel dicatorship is feeding the fundamentalism in his country (remember the Shah in Iran, and many others).

Is it in the interest of Democracy and justice to support such a b.st.rd!

I red somewhere the ex-Ambassador of UK in Uzbekistan has taken a courageous stand on this problem.

Loki
20th May 2005, 20:47
Grandpa:

That`s why he is the ex-ambassador.

Dismissed by our government on some hastily concocted pretext and smear, the gentleman in question had the integrity to expose the appalling crimes of the regime and our government`s quiescence.

Caslance
20th May 2005, 20:59
Such has always been the fate of bearers of inconvenient tidings throughout the ages, Loki. :ooh:

airship
20th May 2005, 21:05
But Caslance, please tell me that we've improved from the bad old days? After all, back then, the bringer of bad tidings often lost his head...?! :(

Caslance
20th May 2005, 21:07
Details.... mere details..... :E