PDA

View Full Version : 2 new Ryanair bases to be announced in June/July

phil_2405
19th May 2005, 18:50
Whilst reading a bit of news about Ryanair thinking about starting up a UK mobile phone venture, I came across the following comment:

Cawley said it would announce two new bases in June or July. - Deputy Chief Executive Michael Cawley.

Any ideas?

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1116454563.html

GoEDI
19th May 2005, 19:06
Presumably any 2 of the orange dots on page 9 of this document. So I'll hold out for EDI then! :)

http://www.ryanair.com/site/about/invest/docs/240205boeing.pdf

LBA
19th May 2005, 19:54
What would the orange dot next to LPL be?

MAN?LBA?DSA?EMA?

BombardierCR7
19th May 2005, 19:58
What would the orange dot next to LPL be?

A rough guess - the one that will be the cheapest!

Richard Taylor
19th May 2005, 20:08
Prestwick South?

GrahamK
19th May 2005, 20:58
Blackpool = Prestwick South? :E

ProfJackRabbit
19th May 2005, 23:30
Carcasonne & Florence-Pisa to become bases
& Basel to get a London route, announced sometime this month (before the bases)
exciting times....

mmeteesside
20th May 2005, 06:41
Any chance of that elusive North East base yet? The 'play-off' routes have been operating since January now so they must have some idea how well each route is doing?

- Durham Tees Valley - Rome Ciampino
- Newcastle - Milan Bergamo

mmeteesside

phil_2405
20th May 2005, 07:42
Carcasonne & Florence-Pisa to become bases

Is this confirmed?

Maude Charlee
20th May 2005, 08:34
I doubt it's going to be NCL. The loads to BGY are really not good at all. Barely half full unless there is some sort of footie game when all of a sudden the flight is chock-a-block all week.

aeulad
20th May 2005, 08:37
6716 pax used the NCL-BGY route in March. Is that not more than a 50%LF based on bums on seats?

Regards

Mike

LBA
20th May 2005, 08:43
BGY seems to be a difficult one to work in the north, Jet2 dropped it after a year and replaced it with Venice.

BPL321
20th May 2005, 09:34
I will have a guess and go for Blackpool as 1 of the 2 new bases.

Heard FR are probably going to announce some more routes from BLK so could be a fair bet since they are doing so well on the 3 routes they already have from BLK.

(Dont know where they are going to put all the a/c mind you!)

aeulad
20th May 2005, 09:37
I really would'nt say Blackpool. It just seems too close to Liverpool.

Who is to say the bases will be in the UK anyway? One might just be the route announcement for Hamburg Lubeck. Pisa has been on the cards for ages.

Regards

Mike

LBA
20th May 2005, 09:39
BLK would need serious expansion to be a Ryanair base!

BPL321
20th May 2005, 09:40
They dont have to be the UK thats why it was a guess.

BLK has a big catchment area. I dont see LPL having a major effect on BLKs expansion. A good example is the FR Girona service from BLK.LPL has the same route but it doesnt seem to have much impact on pax numbers out of BLK.

WOWBOY
20th May 2005, 14:38
Looks like they are targeting easyjets BRS base with a proposed base in CWL???

Do you think BAA will let Ryanair have lower landing charges at EDI, as they wont start a base with the high landing charges etc??

nclairportfan
20th May 2005, 15:47
6716 pax used the NCL-BGY route in March. Is that not more than a 50%LF based on bums on seats?

Based on the March figure above - assuming 62 flights per month that means each flight had just over 108 pax.

GoEDI
20th May 2005, 16:10
Do you think BAA will let Ryanair have lower landing charges at EDI, as they wont start a base with the high landing charges etc??

Probably not, which is fair enough, so tough. If FR were to start routes they'd no doubt all be subsidised like all the ones at PIK, so even less of a need for cheaper charges, atleast to begin with.

RAT 5
20th May 2005, 16:50
Carcassone?? get real. It's a short runway with predominatley a circling approach. Small apron with no hanger or large a/c maintenance facilities. Is the home of an aerobatic school. It is a flying club airfield. Blackpool not dissimilar.
Strange no-one has made mention of Eindhoven or Niederhein. Both have had energetic visits from RYR management recently. The former has a new terminal it needs using, and the latter has lost its home based airline. Geographically they are in great locations and both have a large populous capture area. With CRL and these two, RYR would have a strong prescence across a central swath of Europe.

airhumberside
20th May 2005, 17:00
Im sure Blackpool is a possibility for a new route but not a new base.

Would Forli in Italy make a good base?

POL1W
20th May 2005, 17:12
Don't think that is going to go down as a Ryan Air roaring success story! Can't see them doing much more at Newcastle. What are the loads for the Teesside - Rome like? Could be a better option as Baby really don't appear to be taking MME seriously at the moment, with its handfull of flights which don't operate on a daily basis.

nclairportfan
20th May 2005, 18:03
CAA provisional stats show:

FR got 6989 pax who used MME - CIA route in March.

EZY NCL - CIA got 7445 passengers in March.

April stats show NCL - BGY got 6841 pax. No MME figure on stats available at the moment.

eurostar builder
20th May 2005, 18:08
How about Bournemouth.

phil_2405
20th May 2005, 18:18
How about Bournemouth.

I think Bournemouth will, and rightly so, concentrate on getting more Thomsonfly business, rather than a Ryanair base at the airport. A few new routes from FR wouldn't go a miss thou :ok: Something to keep T.fly on their toes!

Dan319
20th May 2005, 22:22
Ryanair in talks with Malta airport. Wanted Palermo as base in central Med but very inefficient so dropped.
Could Malta be this new base perhaps with expansion into Africa???:cool:

Jamesair
20th May 2005, 22:25
NCL - BGY APRIL 6841 PAX

I calculate that at 60 flights giving 114 pax per flight

nclairportfan
20th May 2005, 22:36
Looking good for FR @ NCL then! Load factor should increase over the summer months too.

mmeteesside
21st May 2005, 09:41
They will probably choose Durham Tees Valley with those figures, I just think EZY being at NCL might divert them away, saying that they compete with them quite well at STN though

mmeteesside

LBA
21st May 2005, 10:08
Competing against Easy doesen't seem to bother Ryanair, they both have bases at STN,LPL and LTN, I think Ryanairs routes to secondary airports complement Easys routes quite well.

nclairportfan
21st May 2005, 10:08
I think there is room for them at both NCL and MME, perhaps with different routes.

I would love to see NCL to BOH, SNN, Limoges, Nimes, Murcia, Stockholm, Oslo.

I think as WW are providing MME with an odd, somewhat indifferent service they could pick their routes from there. Naturally the usual sun routes would do very well at MME as would frequent services to STN and possibly BVA.

Who knows what will happen? I presume both airports would be asked to supply bids, and the best bid would win!

Maude Charlee
21st May 2005, 11:59
FR currently pushing hard on the MME-CIA route for June. Promising to undercut EZY on every seat by at least 50% for the route during the whole month of June.

As I said on the NCL-BGY routes, barely half full. April's is only 60%. March figures boosted substantially by at least a week of full flights where almost 75% of pax were Scottish footie fans. Without them, initial loads had been around the 60-70 mark. Even now, loads just scraping 3 figures on about 4 days of the week and double figures on the rest.

NCL-DUB has gone very quiet lately too. FR definitely have more promising routes from other bases, so I doubt NCL will have a permanent presence for a long time to come.

WOWBOY
22nd May 2005, 14:13
Does amy one have a rough idea of what countries the to bases will be in?

EDI looks unlikely because of charges!

CWL is a good idea,will target Easyjets BRS base.If they did start a base in CWL where would they fly to?

BGY?
CIA?
PIK?-Causing WW to go back to GLA??
BVA?
etc....

HH6702
26th May 2005, 08:28
ncl to milan some times have 140pax on flights and other times just 70 it all depends on which day of the week it is.

Strong rumours are going around newcastle that another low cost carrier is going to base at least a few aircraft giving easyjet a run for there money. Maybe this will be ryanair or maybe jet2?

beaucaire
27th May 2005, 06:39
While one of the two possible new bases could well be in the UK, the second one seems likely to be in France.
France has so far no official base ( Beauvais is not a base )but the chances to see Carcassonne beeing promoted to "base" status are slim in my eyes.
The airport is simply to small to handle large amounts of aircraft or passengers and will see additional flights ( a recent article in "Midi Libre" speaks about two more destinations ) in 2006 but no based aircraft.
I would see Nīmes ,Marseille or Nantes as possibilities,considering their existing airport infrastructures.
Montpellier would be nice but the city and airport managers are at odds ( politically divided... )and uncapable to speak one common language in front of airlines - so I don't see MPL as base.

Nakata77
27th May 2005, 10:03
Bournemouth base with 3 B737-800's

to

Nimes NEW!
Biarittz NEW!
Milan NEW!
Rome NEW!
Murcia NEW!
Stockholm NEW!
Oslo NEW!
Glasgow Prestwick
Dublin
Barcelona Girona
Bergerac NEW!

No joke

beaucaire
27th May 2005, 10:24
Where does this info come from ??

phil_2405
27th May 2005, 16:29
A Ryanair Bournemouth base is unlikely I believe because the terminal just could not cope with those kind of increased passenger numbers without significant investment e.g. a new terminal!!

nclairportfan
27th May 2005, 18:21
BOH is not an orange dot!

Baron rouge
29th May 2005, 16:16
BOH is not an orange dot!

For your information those orange dots have no meaning as to where exactly the new bases will be. they are evenly spread on the map and just mean new bases could be anywhere the company receives a good incentive.

MerchantVenturer
29th May 2005, 21:32
Given that all the orange dots won't turn yellow until the company reaches 100 million annual pax - currently something over a quarter of that figure - it does seem odd that an airline would 'announce' publicly that the airports 'shown' are the ones it intends to deal with and no others.

However, the orange dots certainly are placed at or about airport sites, although I note Baron rouge's comments.

malagajohn
30th May 2005, 07:54
Bit of talk in Spain recently about a Ryanair base at Don Quijote airport in Cuidad Real

There are rumours of Spansih doemstic flights as well

- typical Ryanair base - 45 mins fast train ride to Madrid - not sure of the cost but probably 25-30 euros return

Ryanair have avoided Barajas due to slow turn around times and lack of slots

Don Quijote due to open second half of 2006

FlyLowCost
30th May 2005, 11:52
From good source the two airports in Spain that are running to become the new Ryanair bases are Murcia and Seville.

The first one will get a second runway by the end of the year and so they could avoid the actual morning flights limitation due to military activities. All the FR flights ex MJV to UK and Ireland are the best yield routes of all the entire network.

SVQ offers some nice empty facilities in a great cachtment area with good chance to expand new domestic service to destination like SCC, SDR, GRO, ZAZ, REU, VLL and VLC.

dwlpl
30th May 2005, 11:54
Ryanair said in April once the City of Luebeck ownership of the airport at Luebeck was transferred to Infratil it would base 4*737's there.

The transfer is expected to take a few months to complete.

FlyLowCost
30th May 2005, 12:19
The base in Luebeck is also subjected to runway extension.