PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Distance Learning or Residential

stevejames53
19th May 2005, 15:23
Hi people,

I'm coming to the end of my MEng Aero Eng degree soon, and am looking at Riverside Flight Centre to fulfill my dream of becoming a pilot.

I've been in the academic environment (lectures etc) for the past 4 years (not including college!) and I believe in myself that I could do the distance learning option, but I'm wondering if i would be better off going to do the residential option since I've had loads of experience of doing lectures etc.

I am definately strong enough to resist the temptation to go out on the lash as my efforts during my 3rd and 4th year have proven this to me.

Has anyone been in a similar position to me?

Any comments/input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

(also - I know this might be the wrong place, but has anyone been to Riverside and had any problems with not having any MCC time? Tony Cornish said that it was possible to get the MCC time whilst training for a type rating with an airline when(/if) I get employed? not saying he's a liar as he seems like a good bloke, but any comments on this would be appreciated)

FlyingForFun
19th May 2005, 17:38
I always used to advise people to do a residential course, unless you have either restricted time or restricted money. Seems to make sense that it's going to be easier to study whilst following a structured program and surrounded by other people who are studying the same thing as you. At least that's the way I'd imagine it would be - I did distance learning because I didn't have the time to do the residential course, so I can't speak first-hand for residential courses.

But when I started saying that a few years ago, some people said they actually preferred distance learning, because they could go at their own pace - classroom study either goes too fast or too slow for them.

So I guess the answer is that it's very much a personal decision. If I had the choice I'd have done residential, but you have to choose whatever you're happiest with.

FFF
------------

PS - to answer your other question, I have no idea about Riverside, I have no personal experience of them. But, in general terms, it is possible to do the MCC together with your first type rating. Problem is, though, that most employers don't seem to be interested in applicants who don't have the MCC already, which makes sense really because why would they pay for you to do the MCC when there are other pilots with the same experience level who already have the MCC

stevejames53
19th May 2005, 19:10
FlyingForFun,

Thanks for your input - it makes for interesting reading.

Out of interest, where did you go to train? Are you employed as an airline pilot now?

Thanks,

Steve

silverknapper
19th May 2005, 19:23
It's a very personal thing. I did D/L and it was best for me. Had enrolled for residential but changed my mind. It was great. I could play golf when it was nice, and make up for it later. If I couldn't be bothered one day I wouldn't do anything. Similarly on days when Mrs SK was working late or I was in the middle of something I liked, I could plough on till late. As FFF says you work at your own pace. And the refresher course really does get you match fit.
You obviously aren't thick so won't really struggle with the material. Indeed if you grafted you could have it done quicker than residential. I did it in the same time, around 6 months. And I would say I spent on average 3 hours a day at it. It ain't difficult, just tons of it.

FlyingForFun
20th May 2005, 17:37
Out of interest, where did you go to train? Are you employed as an airline pilot now?The written exams I did with Bristol, who are IMHO without a doubt the best distance-learning school - but again, that's a personal thing, just because I liked the style of their notes and the general setup that doesn't mean that you will too.

I'm currently employed as a flying instructor. I haven't been looking for airline work yet. I only finished my IR a couple of weeks ago, and haven't done the MCC yet - besides which, I enjoy what I'm currently doing too much to be in a rush to get a job watching an autopilot.

FFF
--------------