PDA

View Full Version : 36 years old - still time to be a corporate pilot?

kloe
19th May 2005, 14:31
Good day, I am wondering at the age of 36 whether it is getting late to switch avenues and attempt to get into a corporate pilot position. I currently have approximately 740 hours total time and building. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Duff beer
19th May 2005, 15:05
Never too late.

Try Net Jets based out of Portugal. The commute would be a bit of a bummer though!

Also, try the right forum. This isnt really a 'rumour or news'.

Good luck

White Knight
19th May 2005, 15:09
plenty of time and best of luck:ok: :ok:

CPTVOR
19th May 2005, 15:19
Never too old. Got my first job on a corporate jet at 38 yrs old with 300 hrs TT. Right place, right time. Netjets Europe wont consider you without 1500hrs. Get that resume out to as many operations as possible and eventually you may get lucky.
Good luck

Astra driver
19th May 2005, 19:39
I was 36 and had about 800 hours total when I started my corporate flying career about 6 years ago. I took a 75% pay cut from my previous job when I first started as a flight instructor, making that switch was the best thing I ever did. I'm now finally making the same money as I would have made at my old job and I'm a lot happier to boot.

36 is deffinitely not too late to start.

galaxy flyer
19th May 2005, 23:04
Not a problem and good luck. I just got a CL-604 job after being out of corporate for 20 years. I look forward to meeting you on the road.

You need (hate the word) to network. Get a good resume and knock on corporate flight dep't doors. Be pleasant and ready to learn. Don't press to the point you are being shown the door. Most flight dept bosses have been just where you are and are very understanding. If they are welcoming and listen to your efforts at finding a job, you know they will good to work for, if an offer comes.

GF

rightbank
20th May 2005, 20:08
Got my first full-time flying at age 44. Currently flying as a Biz jet captain. Never give up. Its not impossible the older you are, just harder. As CPTVOR says you need to be in the right place at the right time. Best of luck.

pistulaza
24th May 2005, 07:21
I am 33 years old and since 2 year captain of a bizjet, i am flying with a lot of colleagues that are older than me and olso with no prewious experience, they are very good and sometime theyr maturity help them in our job, never too old good luck!!!:ok:

theWings
24th May 2005, 09:17
Hey kloe, I'm relying on late thirties not being too late!

I'm in just about the same position as you but see great opportunities out there as this sector expands over the next few years (if EBASE reports and a/c sales are anything to go by). I realise I will probably have to pay for a TR and take a huge pay cut for a while, but I certainly expect to spend the next few years flying bizjets.

At our age, I am sure we bring certain qualities that younger guys can't and are therefore possibly more attractive to corporate outfits' CPs. Possible niche area for the 'older, wiser' driver? (Comments?).

Anyway, previous posts seem to be reasons to be hopeful, if not cheerful!

Good Luck!

the Wings

pilotbear
28th May 2005, 10:00
Hi there, just be persistant. I just got my first corporate jet job at 44.

Fox Alpha
4th Jun 2005, 01:02
I flew small turboprops for only a year before getting on the Citation X. Corporate jet companies in my experience have wildly varied minimum requirements in comparison to the norm of big airlines. Some will recruit directly from commercial schools, others demand many hundreds of hours of previous commercial experience. Every company is different. It is a good way to get jet time perhaps sooner than heavy jet operators would have you. And I started at 38. Good luck.

kloe
4th Jun 2005, 16:46
alpha fox how many hours did you have at 38 when you got the corporate job?

thanks

Fox Alpha
5th Jun 2005, 12:48
About 1600 as I recall.

LearjetGA
5th Jun 2005, 17:41
Go for it!

I was a lawyer when i quit everything for flying. Was doing a big load of money (daddys compay). I packed my things, kissed Mama good bye and left for the US where my first salary (or was it a gratuity) was exactly 1/12th of the previous month. Six years later i just cannot get enough of my job.
I look at some of my buddies who did not do it and they still question themselves: What if ...

Best of luck

Welcome

Doodlebug
8th Jun 2005, 23:09
Hi Kloe!

Nope, not too late. The age can count in your favour, as prospective employers will be more inclined to believe you than the 20-year-old when he hears 'No interest to go to the airlines', for obvious reasons.

Best of luck, see you on the road!

Bug