PDA

View Full Version : So what is the fastest you have driven your car/bike?

BRL
19th May 2005, 11:14
Going on the current thread, how fast have you had your car or motorbike on a public road?

BlueDiamond
19th May 2005, 11:17
... on a public road?
Could you delete that bit, BRL? :E

tall and tasty
19th May 2005, 11:18
Confess I have done 130 mph on the M23 in my bros Daytona.......at 0400 in the morning

TnT

BRL
19th May 2005, 11:20
We have all done, we have all sped, I don't care what anyone says fact is it is true.

We are all quick at condemming that copper but how close have you been to that... ? ;)

Flip Flop Flyer
19th May 2005, 11:21
Legal:
BMW M3 SMG, sans limiter: 285 km/h on ze German autobahn.

Illegal:
Porsche 911: 255 km/h on Danish motorway (limit 110).

Both at night and on empty roads. Nice thrill; I do enjoy going fast!

Best Average speed:
147 km/h in a 2002 Laguna Diesel over 980 km from BRU to CPH.

gruntie
Sustained 170mph on autobahns between Stuttgart & Frankfurt, early one Sunday morning.

Heatseeker
Got 49 mph out of my Lambretta 150 once

H

Scumbag O'Riley
19th May 2005, 11:25
In the US, 145mph in Montana.

In the UK, remember doing 118mph on the M1. I know this because I looked at the speedometer when the police car drew up to the side of me. He wagged his finger and took off at a rate of knots. I slowed down to 100 and passed him a few miles further on. No further action, those were the days.

BlueDiamond
19th May 2005, 11:29
208K (about 125M) Forwards

99K (about 62M) Reverse

:E

Biggles Flies Undone
19th May 2005, 11:33
146 on the Autobahn. Not telling about this country ;)

Parapunter
19th May 2005, 11:38
106 on the M23 at midnight in a company car Vectra. Got nicked & banned for that, hence not very happy to see plod getting away with 160 on a motorway.

Flypuppy
19th May 2005, 11:42
Afsluitdijk, Northern Holland, 260 kmh on a Kawasaki ZX-6R.
Somewhere in middle Europe 255kmh in an Audi S4.
Alledgedly. :E

G SXTY
19th May 2005, 11:50
130mph on the M20 in a VW Jetta.

Of course, being an advanced driver, I was well within my limts and purely testing the capabilities of the vehicle.:mad:

waldopepper42
19th May 2005, 11:55
151mph on a Yamaha YZF-R1, somewhere in Europe :E :E

ORAC
19th May 2005, 11:59
About 260kph on the Dubai - Abu Dhabi highway. Then got passed by 3 locals in Ferraris with about 80kph overtake - 2 on my right and one on the shoulder on my left...... :ooh:

Flying Lawyer
19th May 2005, 12:18
In mph -

Car: 162 mph / Porsche 911
I enjoyed the experience, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I had a blow-out coming down through 110 mph. Thankfully it was a rear tyre so no problem but, if it had been a front ....... :eek:

Bike: 138 mph / VFR750
The bike is good for more, but I'm not. I enjoyed the thrill, until my nerve ran out, but wouldn't do it again because I'm not a good enough rider.

Perfect conditions in each case, and no-one at risk except me.
All legal.

Pendulum swing? Surely not. I'm confident the grannies will take heed of the very clear title of the thread and resist the temptation to go off on some tangent. ;)

Capt.KAOS
19th May 2005, 12:26
Public road: 153 mph (V10 Diesel Touareg) German Autobahn (A44)

Circuit: 167 mph (Ford Mustang)

c-bert
19th May 2005, 13:20
125 mph in my Focus ST170 in France. Dead straight motorway with no other traffic though. Woke the missus up....:mad:

angels
19th May 2005, 13:37
Got nicked for doing 44 mph on a 40 limit in my trusty Morris Minor called Annabelle. I protested she wasn't capable of doing that, but still got fined 40 quid. More than a weeks wages in those days (mid 70s).

Fastest in UK is around 120 on the M25 one Sunday night. Fastest ever was around 145 on the autobahn twixt Frankfurt and Heidelberg. While on that short journey I saw a mega-prang involving some five cars and a coach. Two bodies on the road.

I've always driven slower since that day.

effortless
19th May 2005, 13:38
Just under 150 in a Volvo south of Rotterdam last year.

It was you you b*st*rd sitting on my tail all the way down to Brugge.:* :*

I do 125 mph regularly in Germany and I have done 140.

Jesters
19th May 2005, 13:44
135mph the other day in a VW Golf TDi.

And was still getting 40mpg out of it!

Krystal n chips
19th May 2005, 13:50
Not sure if this counts--however---mid 80's--left Wymondham at about 0345hrs----arr. Disley--0700hrs---this was before the Newark by- pass and when you had to go through the town and traffic lights etc. You won't find any M'ways on the route either-just the good old A17. Have a look and do the maths. Unlikely to be repeated I may add.

Capt.KAOS
19th May 2005, 13:55
Cheerio, must admit it was downhill and btw the truck is limited on 155 mph. Still not bad for a 2,5 ton oil burner...

Onan the Clumsy
19th May 2005, 14:03
When I got my Lexus (the worst car I ever owned btw) my mate said "oh giz a drive" and got it up past 100 on a country road next to the airport.

Some weeks later he foolishly asked me to drive his Mercedes SUV home for him. I got it up to 107 mph, then I looked down and realised I was still in third gear :p

Rollingthunder
19th May 2005, 14:04
Not quite sure but made it from home to work at the airport in 87 seconds once, on the bike. Stopwatch on the panel. Two cop cars coming in the opposite direction never had a chance.

BillHicksRules
19th May 2005, 14:24
Dear all,

105 mph in a 1.1 ltr Citroen AX (downhill on M74 through Scottish Borders)

110 mph in Renault Scenic on M6 by Penrith.

Cheers

BHR

c-bert
19th May 2005, 14:48
Oooh, oooh, that reminds me. I got 100 mph out of my 1.4 diesel Citroen AX downhill (M3 just before Southampton). The manual reckoned it could only do 95 and I was fairly certain the wheels were going to come off.

BillHicksRules
19th May 2005, 14:56
C-bert,

It seemed like light speed to me at the time :eek: :eek: :eek:

Was almost deafened!!!

Cheers

BHR

Gouabafla
19th May 2005, 14:59
Reckon I once hit about 35 mph pedalling like the clappers downhill and with the wind behind me.

FlyTCI
19th May 2005, 15:17
Did 110 mph in 20 zone at night.
Do i dare to tell I ended up in a building a few seconds later:ugh:
Thank god I was in a safe Lexus. Walked away without a scratch. Sorry can't say the same thing about my car which I had had for two weeks. Became the guy to look for when ppl needed Lexus parts. Just got a need for speed.

Drive safely folks.
:ok:

cavortingcheetah
19th May 2005, 15:18
:) Sufficiently fast and lithesome enough to loose the chap in the police car behind me.
But then, all the boys in blue are such frightful morons aren't they? And none of them have a clue, either about crime prevention or driving. Last one to stop me, tried to call me by my Christian name as he booked me. Tart's parlour springs to mind.
Entrapment or sexual harassment a good defence. They are rather a useless element. Still need to prove their keep.:ugh:

fleigle
19th May 2005, 15:23
I've done 115 on my 850 BMW a few times on 2-lane roads but last year I did Salt Lake City to Wendover (Utah) in an hour exactly, its 100 miles. The road surface is fairly poor in places and the truck traffic wind-blast was like an explosion each time. The legal speed limit felt really slow afterwards.

effortless
19th May 2005, 15:26
Cheerio
Effortless, could have been, but I find I can't get close enough to a car in front to prevent a Dutchman squeezing in the gap between, no matter how small........
I know what you mean. I had a Belch ten feet behind me at 120 for miles coming down from Rotterdam. When I put me brakes on he came past sideways. He was still swearing at me. :confused: A couple of clicks later he was back at the 10ft mark. I decided to let him go.

I used to come down from Nottingham at a fair lick every Sunday night. I stopped doing it after every car in front of me came to a v. sudden halt. I really scared meself but didn't hit anything. We all backed off and were told that a plane had landed short at Castle Donnington. So all you really safe and skilled drivers learn from me. It isn't just the other idiots on the road you have to worry about. I nealy hit a 737.

panda-k-bear
19th May 2005, 15:29
130 on the A1M after accelerating out of the Hatfield tunnel at a fair rate of knots, then about 135 on the autoroute heading down to Perpignan. Both in different cars - 1st one German, 2nd one Italian. Won't bore you with the details.

jayteeto
19th May 2005, 16:17
150 on a motorbike (Honda) and 155 in a car (Jaguar), both on the A1 in Northumberland. Absolutely terrified and will never do it again. :ooh:
Fastest crash?? 120 on a different Honda, the bike ended up in about 20 bits and I did not have a scratch. I potter around on my Harley now, much more sedate.....

ehwatezedoing
19th May 2005, 16:17
210km/h Acura Integra.......Then I scared myself and slow down....

GROUNDHOG
19th May 2005, 16:30
Lamborghini..... nearly 50 mph but it would have gone much faster without the sileage spreader on the back.... best tractor I have ever driven.

BOFH
19th May 2005, 17:40
We would always hire cars in Germany, and I always chose fast, safe ones. Would usually tool around at 240 kph when possible.

What no-one's said yet is that it's damn hard work. One eye in the mirror for the unchipped chap who's doing 30 kph faster than you, and the other two on the road ahead for the inevitable miscreant doing 120 kph overtaking someone doing 110 kph overtaking a lorry doing 100 kph.

Before the chipping became fashionable my fastest was 280 kph in a Merc with some cigar-smoking businessman (we were students, and hitchhiking). The clench factor was so great I think I took his seat squab with me when I alighted.

BOFH

B Fraser
19th May 2005, 17:54
175mph as a passenger driven by Barry "whizzo" Williams in a 911 C4S at Millbrook.

160mph on a very quiet French road in my mean green machine :suspect:

cavortingcheetah
19th May 2005, 18:18
:) GROUNDHOG.

That was the challenge, was it not? Of the three,
I am afraid that I think Bentley lost.
;)

Helli-Gurl
19th May 2005, 18:22
I can go from 0-bitch in 0.2 seconds and dont need an engine to get me there!

;)

xx

Flying Lawyer
19th May 2005, 19:09
Lucky you B Fraser :ok:

'Whizzo' is an outstanding driver - and one of the nicest guys in British motor racing. Very good company over a pint, and always willing to spare time to help amateurs like myself.

He once took me for a quick (in both senses) ride on a rally practice stage. What a driver!

Aerofoil
19th May 2005, 19:14
150 mph at night in the rain!! (not my most sensible moment! ):(
Toyota MR2 GTi

pilotwolf
19th May 2005, 19:51
Too fast!

...On and off duty!

PW

jabberwok
19th May 2005, 20:07
Used to do 120mph regularly on both bike and car but no longer - reaction times are too slow now. All perfectly legal - no speed limit here.

BOFH is right though - if you are not totally focussed on your driving and the road ahead you shouldn't be doing it. Needless to say the car should also be capable of these speeds and you should have appropriately rated tyres.

Darth Nigel
19th May 2005, 20:12
Nothing exciting here:

In England back in '75, I managed to get a rented Capri up to 96 mph (at least that's what the nice policeman said). M1 heading sarf, middle of the night, not another car in sight except for some other lost punter who (strangely) was having no trouble keeping up with me a mile or so back. Had even less trouble passing me with his blue lights on. Oh buggah, as they say.

In the US somewhere around '81, I was the proud owner of a 1972 Plymouth Fury II. The previous owner but one had been the RCMP, who had used it as a Highway Interceptor somewhere flat and wide. Damn thing would pass anything on the road except a petrol station :{
Got that beast up to around 130 mph on a taxi-way at Hanscom Field late one night; the accelerator still had about 2" of movement left before it hit the metal! But the car felt like it was about to depart controlled flight (or maybe achieve it), so I eased off. Just before easing off, I floored it (briefly). The engine roared even louder, and the nose came up a bit, and I was pushed further back into the seat.

:cool:

And briefly, on an occasion in Scotland, I was doing about 55 mph without benefit of either car or motorbike. Just me and the road. My mate (who was riding the motorcycle from which I had fallen) claimed it was quite funny to see, as I slid along with helmet, boots, gloves and @rse raising sparks from the road. Ruined a good set of leather biking gear, not to mention the underwear. Didn't need to go to the bathroom for almost 4 days after that one!
:E

maxman
19th May 2005, 20:39
150 mph on a Yamaha FZR 1000 a long time ago, I was young and stupid.
Recently, 150 plus, Donnington, Ron Haslam race school, highly recommended if you need to get speed out of your system.
It doesn't matter how good you think you are, the instructors will make you look slow!
Angels, I think I have you beat, caught speeding at 45 in a 30 on a Honda C90. Thirty quid fine 3 points.
I cannot believe I just admitted that
:\

Cool_Hand
19th May 2005, 20:46
110 on a striaght country road, was pretty cool until the road ceased to be smooth and flat, hit a bump, took off landed and bounced down the road in what was quite a hair raising time constantly thinking 'Do not turn the wheel' it was a very narrow road.

Also, about 50mph on a push bike, electric speedo claimed 53, but I doubt the calibration was good up to those speeds, also rounded a corner and nearly killed myslef.

fritzi
19th May 2005, 20:48
Legal:

275 km/h in a Volvo S80 T6 (limiter removed) in Germany

Illegal:

230 km/h in a BMW 530i on a Swedish highway at 2am.

Capt.KAOS
19th May 2005, 21:01
175mph as a passenger driven by Barry "whizzo" Williams in a 911 C4S at Millbrook. Probably looking through the side window most of the time ;) Remember Whizzo quite well. Crossed wheels with Williams, Gerry Marshall and Tony Lanfranchi (both died this year and will be sadly missed) several times in Historic racing.

jumpseater
19th May 2005, 21:55
This may not count as it wasn't my car....
928GTS 150+ indicated early 90's.
I can recall being and feeling absolutely focussed whilst doing it, it was only for a few minutes, five at most I'd guess. Afterwards it was a bit 'chuffin eck, did I really do that?' I was driving these types and similar regularly and at quite high speeds too. If some one comes in and says my toy has a rattle from the dashboard at 85, you can't tell them, don't drive it at that speed then, you have to investigate and sort it within reason. And you need someone you can trust to drive it SAFELY, while the spanner jockey does his stuff, laying on his back in the footwell, :yuk: looking for the aforementioned rattle. Occaisionally you'd have to take a punter for a demo drive....
Not big or clever, 'commercial pressures m'lud', (would that work FL?, I've had extra training too!). The owners daughter took the keys, the owner having got in the bath after I set off, and was still in it when I arrived.:E

Loose rivets
19th May 2005, 22:08
Oh grief!! I try to be the mature word of wisdom to the young ones these days.....but I can't resist telling stories about how fast I used to go in the old days. It must be something in blokes blood...come to think of it, it is. Speed causes the release of certain drugs that are very pleasurable. Long time since I read the article, so can't remember the technicalities.

The words ‘There I was, two hands-full of opposite lock...looking out of the side window...pedal on full noise.....' Still linger in the imagery of the smoke filled pub. Mad as a hatter.

Legal: 162 mph on UK roads. (edited out ) regularly.

Illeagal...and the most memorable: (edited out ) mph in Dartford tunnel. Needless to say, I was Northbound and had it to myself

Riding a fully dressed 1,100 Suzuki one day, and the road ahead was straight and totally clear. Farmland on the left and open on the right. I thought I would give it a squirt. Suddenly an XJ6 bounced out of the high corn onto the grass verge, a tweed clad farmer at the wheel (funny how I noticed that, but it's true)...no means of knowing if he would stop.

It doesn't matter how much practice or training you undergo. The unexpected is well....unexpected.

In recent years, I got myself a supercharged pointy thing that was good for the hi 100's, and sitting at 79 mph and taking into account getting old, I still could not find many, if any, reasonable places to enjoy this kind of oomph on today's roads.

I used to spend an hour at a time at night, and not see a single person or vehicle. Year after year I would have hundreds of miles of roads, in effect, to myself. When the national speed limit was introduced, things changed a little, but not much. I seem to remember being able to average nearly 50 mph across London at night--when the lights were with us.

A contemporary of mine has just bought the latest Suzuki. Its 0-100 time, repeat 100 time, is less than 4 secs. and it still has (I think) 4 more gears to go.

I can't understand why extremely fast cars are still allowed. It does not seem logical to have 200 mph vehicles and a 70 mph limit.

The Supra twin turbo is for instance, so quick, that a routine overtake (of say 3 cars, from say 80), could see it nearly doubling that speed at the finale of the maneuver. "Nice to have all this...FLASH----FLASH ....er..power" comes to mind.

Fg Off Max Stout
19th May 2005, 22:22
Calling Andy 'Dead Dog' Green, if you're a Pruner you need to post on this thread now.:ok:

Atlas Shrugged
20th May 2005, 00:24
302kph down Conrod Straight (EB Falcon) before they put that pain in the ar$e kink in at the end.............but then again, I used to race for a living.

Blacksheep
20th May 2005, 04:57
The hairiest ride I ever had was taking my '49 Humber Hawk up to almost seventy on the M40 back in '72. Well, No. 1 daughter was insisting she wouldn't wait any longer...

I did once get up to 115 once, in a rental car - when I was younger and more stupid. Very exhilerating, but very dangerous. Also expensive. I got booked. Cost me 30 pounds and 3 points. They'd ban me today of course, but I wouldn't argue too much about that.

B Fraser
20th May 2005, 11:13
Crossed wheels with Williams, Gerry Marshall and Tony Lanfranchi

I put a squeeze onto Gerry Marshall at Goodwood once and forced him onto the grass. He got his revenge two bends later at St Mary's :uhoh:

What a bloke :ok:

Canary Boy
20th May 2005, 11:38
Silverstone, late 60's, approx 140 mph in a Sunbeam Tiger; (Sunbeam Alpine with Ford V8, skinny tyres and pretty ordinary suspension/brakes). Now that was hairy. :D

Thruxton, last year, approx 170 mph in a Ferrari 360, all the gizmos and, once used to the G, relatively boring. :zzz:

tubthumper
20th May 2005, 11:55
This kind of immature, cavalier, bragging shows a complete lack of maturity and basic common sense which I find rather worrying in an industry whose prime concern must, at all times, be safety.

Oh, all right then.

135. Porsche 944 Turbo. Somewhere near Tubthumper Towers.

Biggles Flies Undone
20th May 2005, 12:03
Good to see mention of Whizzo - what a great character :ok: Now that Gerry and Tony have gone to the great racetrack in the sky, there's only Whizzo and John Cleland left of the crowd I used to share a beer or five with in the Kentagon after marshalling at the Brands clubbies :(

Very happy times :D

Helli-Gurl
20th May 2005, 12:23
I've had dinner with Derek Warwick a few times, thoroughly nice guy ;)

x

matkat
20th May 2005, 12:27
155 coming of the Tay bridge going towards ST.Andrews road was clear sun was shining,I was driving My Ferrari 355 GTS F1,any PPruners who live in the Fife area and ever See Me say hello car reg.is C6 DMG.

Rushton
20th May 2005, 12:42
Illegal Petrol Section

115mph in BMW3 M6 6pm one Sunday evening.

Illegal Diesel Section

105mph M1 Peugeot 306 Estate (when i had a private hire licence) was late collecting some aircrew from East Midlands.

Silly Section

71mph (indicated) in a Citroen 2CV - down hill with nil wind.

Legal Section

110mph Isle of Man single carriage way road, Mercedez 300 series diesel. Again when doing private hire - was racing another Merc from same company to get back to Ronaldsway Airport for the next fare - nearly got past him too, but ran out of road.

B Fraser
20th May 2005, 13:08
Biggles...

I've also been driven by Richard "Dickie" Attwood. I was introduced to this old codger who then proceeded to scare the living daylights out of me. I then found out who he was and that the Japs had named a corner after him at one of their circuits. A splendid chap :ok:

Mike Wilds (ex F1 driver and WTC champion) instructs on choppers at Booker and me and my buddies sometimes use him as an instructor at our track-days.

UL730
20th May 2005, 18:16
Had to flash my lights at this vehicle when he would not move out of the way. Credit to him - he was shifting at the time but not quite fast enough...... made a strange bang as well... never really understood why...

:\

http://www.peterrenn.clara.net/ssc.jpg

Respect to Andy Green

GrumpyOldFart
20th May 2005, 22:10
Errr... there is a statute of limitations on this stuff, isn't there?

On a fast road, not a long way from Heathrow, daytime, got an indicated 148mph in an early (i.e. before all this emission control [email protected]) production XJ12. 90+ at the top of the slip road. I bottled out long before I suspect the car would have.

Older and wiser now and, having attended countless other peoples' accident scenes since, I really wouldn't do it again. I can still remember the rush, though. :cool:

bladewashout
20th May 2005, 22:32
125 aged 18 in my dad's Saab 900 Turbo, story of things to come.

155 Ferrari 348 in Belgium coming back from Spa race circuit (a kart race!), stone hit the underside of the wheel arch with a hell of a bang and I had a brown trouser type reality check.

145 in the UK, Ferrari 355 spyder, quiet dual carriageway.

But the 'best' is about 130 through the Hatfield tunnel in the same 355 spyder red-lining each gear. The sound with the top down was unbelievable. Repeated on regular sunday afternoons whenever anyone could be persuaded to jump in for a ride, as it was just up the road....never got bored with it.

BW

As I See It
21st May 2005, 01:05
100Mph Blackpool prom in my old Triumph Spitfire

152Mph M55 West, Cavalier Turbo

147Mph M55 East/West, M6 North/South, M61 North/South Mondeo SI

Used to drive Blackpool - Bristol weekly, 2 hours flat for 200Miles, Ford Granada Ghia 2.8i.

All days gone by, when I sold the Mondeo I bought the worlds slowest diesel, don't speed on any road, heavy oil made me see sense, oh and the plethora of safety cameras blighting the country, thankfully never prosecuted for speeding and never having had an accident, in my defence I was testing the various cars and it was always done late at night.

If you're the Police and want to question me about it, then it's all bravado [email protected]#t, your honor.

henry crun
21st May 2005, 03:01
Back in the days before speed limits and motorways in UK, a certain racing car driver, whose name I forget, was tearing up the A1.

The police decided he was driving too fast for the conditions and set off after him in their Riley Pathfinder.
Alas, they could could not catch him, but undeterred they continued northbound.

Eventually they saw his car parked outside a pub in Stilton and issued him a summons.

When said driver appeared in court and was asked if he had anything to say, he said " Yes Sir, I would like to make a strong recommendation that the police get faster cars". :)

Paraffin Budgie
21st May 2005, 11:36
A strong rumour has it that a local driver here bought one of those gadgets that fools radars into thinking you are travelling at 300 mph.

Anywhere else......dismiss the case (I suppose)

Here......Toyota Corolla driver has his car and licence taken away for going way, way too fast!

Pinky the pilot
21st May 2005, 12:14
In pre metric days........135mph in an XBGT Coupe, the engine of which (351 Cleveland of course) was worked to well beyond stock Phase 111 GTHO standards. And it was late at night.
A shade under 140mph on one of the first Kawasaki 900s.
Much much later; 185kph in a TA22 Toyota Celica with a worked Twin Cam. It was still accelerating but we ran out of road........

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looke ddeath in the face.

cosworth211
21st May 2005, 12:35
An indicated 150mph in my old Nissan Pulsar GTI-r (pushing 300bhp)

An indicated 158mph in my old Sierra Sapphire Cosworth (pushing 360bhp)

The Cosworth started pouring out smoke at that speed so I aborted the run :ouch:

Much more sensible these days mind ;)

Firestorm
21st May 2005, 14:45
CBR 600 - 140 mph on a UK motorway.
Golf GTi - 135 on an different UK motorway, with a rozzer on my rear bumper. He was in a real hurry, and wanted me out of the way, but I couldn't find anywhere to pull into lane 2 for ages. Didn't even wag his finger at me!

Loki
21st May 2005, 15:24
Regularly manage a ton plus in my Beemer on a bit of dual carriageway in the home counties (not saying where/when for obvious resons)