PDA

View Full Version : ATSB Report Coulandra Qld 10Feb04 Accident (Incl pictures)

Time Out
19th May 2005, 09:44
ANALYSIS

The circumstances of the accident are consistent with a loss of control due to insufficient main rotor RPM being maintained, and incompatible control inputs from the instructor and the student following the initiation of the simulated engine failure by the instructor. The reported actions by the instructor indicate that he was attempting to recover the situation and allowing the student to follow him through on the controls. The student also recalled attempting to manipulate the helicopter’s controls during the descent. It was unlikely that the instructor could have maintained effective control of the helicopter with both pilots manipulating the controls. Procedures for clarifying who is in control at all times, should be established and followed.

The helicopter manufacturer warned that to recover lost main rotor RPM, the pilot must immediately roll on throttle and lower the collective simultaneously. Both pilots reported that they could not lower the collective to the full down position. The activation of the low rotor RPM warning horn during most of the descent confirms that the collective was seldom in the full down position. The instructor reported attempting to increase the throttle position, but it felt like the student had frozen on the throttle. There were no defects found in the examination of the helicopter that would have explained why the collective was not able to be lowered to the full down position or the throttle increased. The manufacturer cautions that once the main rotor RPM decreases below 80%, pilots may not be able to recover control even if the flight controls are correctly positioned. Both pilots recalled seeing the rotor RPM needle in the vicinity of 80% during the descent. The student’s recollection suggested that the rotor RPM may have reduced to below 80%.

The investigation was unable to resolve the differences between the statements by the instructor and the student with reference to the way in which the throttle was reduced.

The seat structures are designed to deform during a high G vertical impact, reducing the load transmitted to the seat occupant and increasing survivability. However, in deforming, the seat structure loses significant strength. In this case, the seat structure lost sufficient strength to allow the left anchor point of the left seat lap belt to tear free, increasing the risk of injury to the seat occupant.

SAFETY ACTION

In February 2005, the Robinson Helicopter Company advised the Australian Transport Safety Bureau that it had modified the R22 helicopter type seat structure design to strengthen the seatbelt anchor points for both seats.

To see the rest of the report, go here (http://www.atsb.gov.au/aviation/occurs/occurs_detail.cfm?ID=607)

Friendly Black Dog
21st May 2005, 22:05
Sorry folks...this one got away to easily.

1. Perfectly serviceable aircraft

2. Beautifull SE Qld day

3. UNANNOUNCED THROTTLE CHOP in an R22!?! contrary to Robinson safety notices

4. At no time did the instructor, and I use the term very loosely, say"Taking Over/I have control/ Get the hell off the controls".

5. Student now paraplegic

6. Instructor (ignorant ???)now blanket mailing Aus operators with resumes...here's the tip...look out for the worlds oldest man

7. I feel better now.:yuk:

rotaryman
22nd May 2005, 03:37
Friendly Black Dog:

I bet this individual has no assets! so no point in sueing? Ive seen it before.

What about the Operator that employed this Idiot?

imabell
22nd May 2005, 04:23
the aircraft was going in a northerly direction in the auto.

after initial impact it bounced up in the air and did a 180 before coming to rest. it is hard to see but the branches of the mangroves on the left have been cut off.

they are very lucky to have surved at all but is is sad to know the injuries sustained by the student.

http://www.bluetonguehelicopters.com.au/pprune/22s.jpg

http://www.bluetonguehelicopters.com.au/pprune/22s2.jpg

:sad:

Friendly Black Dog
22nd May 2005, 07:39
Actually heard a rumour that it's the other way around...instructor is sueing the student! Correct me if I'm wrong, but pilot in command still means PILOT IN COMMAND!

rotaryman
22nd May 2005, 20:06
Friendly Black Dog:

Bloody Typical.!!

Reminds me of the Accident in Cairns a few years back! a certain Operator and a Cross hired Longranger..Flying in Disgusting WX! AIS is U/S Pilot flys to green island picks up 6 Japanese Pax, That required transers to Cairns CBD,,Flys the A/C into Trinity Inlet! Killing a 3 month Pregnant Japanese Woman on her Honeymoon!!

What happened to the Pilot!!

@$%@ All!!!!:mad:

The pilot was back flying a month later after a Quick Check ride with his C/P...:yuk:

overpitched
22nd May 2005, 22:08
I know the decision to fly is the pilots ultimate responsibility but to just blame the pilot in the Cairns accident seems to me to be over simplifying the situation. From my memory of the accident report the pilot was under a lot of pressure to get home whatever the wx.
If you are a low hour pilot working for an operator with that sort of attitude than there are bound to be problems and I don't think they all rest with the pilot

rotaryman
23rd May 2005, 05:50
overpitched:

Sorry if thats how you see it!

It was simple!!! The Pilot was very Experienced with some 3,500+ hours, NVFR,over water Operations and Antartic.

BASI determined that the Operator had a Poor culture within its Operation that encouraged pilots to fly in conditions that say " a more prudent Pilot would not "

The Aircraft was not servicable!! The AIS was u/s and when asked why he flew the aircraft? the Pilot responded with...

Ermm i was using my GPS!

He was under NO! Pressure to get Home..He was at Cairns Airport and chose to fly out to Green Island and Collect 6 Japanese Guests who wanted to get off a Very wet Island and return to Cairns!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ was the Motivator!!!!

The pilot bowed to the pressure placed upon him by his Employer and Chief Pilot!!
The Passenger paid the Ultimate price!!!and her unborn Child!

It also Damaged the Japanese Tourism industry for a long time!with a few Operators going to the wall!!,,

So tell me do you believe the Operator or the Pilot is responsible or Both? Certainly nothing happened to either!!The Pilot was ordered to conduct a check out flight a month later!!

Yea Green Island to Cairns......!!!!:yuk: :mad::sad:

overpitched
23rd May 2005, 06:00
Rotary Man.

I do agree that the ultimate responsibility rests with the pilot.

However I'm sure given the FREE choice we would all do the right thing everytime, but as I'm sure you are aware there are plenty of operators in this country that push their pilots to break the rules and then leave them stranded when things go wrong.

rotaryman
23rd May 2005, 06:11
overpitched:

I couldn't agree More!!

This particular Operator! " and i use the term Loosely " Sacked the Pilot to Appease an Angry Japanese Tourism Market not long after he was checked out as O.K :confused:

Unfortunatley CASA are a toothless Tiger and no action was ever taken against the Operator!:* :mad: :sad:

6 months later the Operator has another B206 hit the Reef!!

But this is what happens when you put $$$$ before Safety.

:ooh: