PDA

View Full Version : in an effort to drink less beer.....

low orbit
19th May 2005, 05:35
im going to spend all of my pocket money on a new lens for my camera and take lots of pics, instead of just falling asleap behind the wheel as i skid across the sky.....

i have a canon ef series camera and im looking at either of the following

canon 28-135mm f3.5 -5.0 usm with IS or the slightly more expensive 70-200 mm L f4.

anybody with a little more experience than i have with these things, please pipe up- as i have a feeling there maybe some massive buyers remorse if i choose the wrong toy.

Incipient Sinner
19th May 2005, 05:44
Depends how much you want to spend of course, I've had Canon's 75-300 IS USM for a while now and it's fantastic but you need something smaller too. Yesterday I received my new toy, Canon's 17-85 IS USM, which is also luvverly.

For all your Canon buying I'd thoroughly recommend 7dayshop.co.uk

futurshox
19th May 2005, 06:01
I recently bought the 28-135 IS USM and have been getting some great results with it. It is a very good size for general walkaround usage. It's also good in an aircraft (tested for the first time on Sunday!) as it is small in physical size - the 70-200 lens is quite a bit longer in length which makes it tricky in an enclosed cockpit. If you want to do any photography around town, or simply not have a heavier camera to carry, the shorter lens is probably your best choice. But then if you want to capture more faraway things, go for the longer lens. Not used one myself but have always heard good things about it.

acbus1
19th May 2005, 06:59
in an effort to drink less beer.....

im going to spend all of my pocket money on a new lens for my camera.....
Yep, it's all about focus. :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
19th May 2005, 07:10
28-135 sounds about right to include the interior shots. Anything bigger cuts bits off the sides.

Enough to get reasonable landscapes as well.

ORAC
19th May 2005, 07:20
My problem is I tend to impulse buy such things after Ive had a few beers..... :O

tubthumper
19th May 2005, 10:54
In an effort to drink less beer....

Nope. Don't get it.

IB4138
19th May 2005, 13:48
To stop YOU drinking it, I've been out and bought two cases this morning, thereby removing it from sale to you and the public in general.;)

Onan the Clumsy
19th May 2005, 14:06
You need to post this on AH&N (http://www.pprune.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=86). Ask MOTF and the others that produce those fantastic pix.

Jerricho
19th May 2005, 15:50
Is it possible to have too much beer? I don't think so.

ExSimGuy
19th May 2005, 15:56
Okay - let's hijack this thread back to the original subject . . .

and talk about the effort to drink more beer (sounds highly commendable!)

Jerricho
19th May 2005, 15:58
Why complicate things with quantifying consumption.

Damn it.......... it's beer. It's there. Drink. Enjoy. Sing. Dance. Sing some more. It's your god given right.