PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Terminal go ahead @ Dublin

redout
18th May 2005, 20:55
From RTE Tonight

Govt to proceed with second airport terminal

18 May 2005 21:44
The Government is to sell a majority stake in Aer Lingus and will give the go ahead for the Dublin Airport Authority to build a second terminal.

A third terminal may go ahead if it is deemed necessary.

The long-awaited Aviation Strategy was unveiled by Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen.

Advertisement

A majority stake in Aer Lingus will be sold off but the State will retain a significant shareholding.

The new terminal in Dublin Airport will be owned by the DAA who will put its operation out to tender.

Mr Cullen stressed that the Authority itself could bid to run it, and could also bid to run a third terminal that might come on stream if passenger volumes grew sufficiently.

The building of the second terminal would be supervised by a panel of experts and the DAA would consult with the airlines on its design and construction.

The announcement was delayed because of tensions between Fianna Fáil and the PDs who wanted to ensure competition at the airport.

mini
18th May 2005, 23:51
Another political fudge.

No doubt it will arrive overdue & over budget, planning for the third terminal will start immediately they say... give Mary & Co a face saving escape.

Best they sort out the existing terminal first, reminds me of Luanda...

As for the sell off of EI, why did that (obvious) decision take so long?

And as for the 'Don...

MarkD
19th May 2005, 00:15
seems like govt trying to push out several things at once - "take out the trash day".

how long after 2015 will T3 be bought back at huge cost like YYZ T3?

conor_mc
20th Sep 2005, 14:40
New plans for T2 announced today - see here (http://www.dublinairport.com/AR_Dublin/Live/Lv_Pres_View_NewsItem.asp?intStory_ID=147) and pdf doc here (http://www.dublinairport.com/AR_Dublin/pdf/PressFinal.pdf) .

apaddyinuk
20th Sep 2005, 15:20
Conor thanks for the plans,
WOW....Looks impressive but yet again it shows the lack of planning that went into Pier C....Why didnt they just do that in the first place. I wonder if Pier C ever made its money worth considering its about to be more or less altered beyond recognition.

I also fear that Dublin will become a Taxi nightmare with all the single taxiway dead ends inbetween the piers such as LHR experiences at the moment! I still feel a totally new plan is needed where the maintenance hangers now lie and they should be relocated to the far side of the new runway....assuming they are still going ahead with that!

But all in all, it will be exciting when its complete, however, I worked in DUB when they were building the current terminal extension and that was a nightmare, I dread to think what this will be like during the contruction!

By the way, does anyone know if they are still extending the LUAS to the airport or even that metro thingy?

DW11
20th Sep 2005, 15:45
Is it just me or are there actually bugger all extra stands and that's before we mention cargo.

On the rail front you have the following

Irish Rail want to run a spur line from just north of Howth Junction(Moyne Road) and run DARTs to the airport.

The RPA want to run the (currently non-existent)Metro from O'Connell Street to the airport.

There's also various grand plans for the LUAS.

Who knows what we'll end up with.

conor_mc
20th Sep 2005, 15:58
If you look at pages 11 and 12 of the pdf doc, the only visible difference between "Northern Extension (2007/2008)" and "Terminal 2 and Pier E (2009)" is the five extra airplanes parked on the tarmac in the bottom right of picture.... is this supposed to impress us?

akerosid
20th Sep 2005, 16:55
Looks good; however, my main concern would be the lack of planning for freight facilities. There seems to be no prospect of expanding the current freight terminal or providing dedicated freight parking stands, particularly nose in for large widebodies.

This is a potentially very large growth area - and very important for the economy - but one which the DAA seems willing to ignore. Surely, given its interest in increased competitiveness and building new markets, particularly in Asia, this is something the government should address.

No sign of any plans to extend 10/28; looks like we're stuck with the current 8,650' until the new runway opens seven years from now. With fuel costs increasing, the attractiveness of not being able to derate on takeoff and having to limit payload in certain conditions will make DUB all the more attractive to long haul operators. :rolleyes:

One Step Beyond
20th Sep 2005, 20:59
With fuel costs increasing, the attractiveness of not being able to derate on takeoff

De-rating/flex TO's use LESS fuel than a ref TO. Reason being you reach the more efficient higher levels in less time. The advantage is in reduced engine wear, even flexing by a few degrees can up to double engine life.

akerosid
20th Sep 2005, 22:54
I'm sorry, One Step Beyond, I phrased that very badly. I was actually trying to say exactly that, but made a hash of it.

However, it looks as if there'll be no derated takeoffs for any long haul flights for the foreseeable future, since we're stuck with the runway as it is for the next 6-7 years.

While other airports around Europe can get the full benefit of new long haul airliners and the economic advantages they bring, we restrict their usefulness and efficiency. And we're amazed when these airlines don't want to/can't serve Ireland.

(Just out of interest, is it ever possible - and if so, what proportion of the time - to derate power on n/s transatlantic flights ex-DUB?)

One Step Beyond
21st Sep 2005, 10:50
Actually my reply was wrong. I meant to write "De-rating/flex TO's use MORE fuel than a ref TO"

So as TO power increases, time to altitude decreases, thus overall sector consumption is decreased.

Don't know about flex TO's on trans-Atlantic flights, but I suspect possible most of the time. Airlines will flex if at all possible, even if it's only a couple of degrees. To always use a ref TO would suggest that every trans-atlantic departure is at it's maximum allowed weight which I doubt is the case.

On the subject of the terminal, when it's all finished, most of the gates are going to be down cul-de-sacs, a configuration not exactly known for its efficiency. I hope they're planning enough taxiway space to hold all the inbounds when each push blocks up the whole pier.