PDA

View Full Version : Which are the best flying schools in the UK?

clarkie56
18th May 2005, 18:44
Hi Guys
I now have the opportunity to start my training to be a commercial pilot, but I am dismayed at the lack of info, on the best schools.
I had my first interview and test with cabair last week, dressed down and was made to feel, (this place is not for you old boy) and the trainee who showed me around was so far up his own
**** he nealry disappeared. I also had a days growth onw my chin, and he declared that had I come to school like that, i would have been sent HOME!!!
Can anyone plaese advise, the best all rounder???

Clarkie

rich330
18th May 2005, 19:35
Please can someone help me in trying to find out which is the best school to go to, to train as a commercial pilot within the uk, as there doesn't seem to be much info out there. Also as I'm looking to be a commercial pilot I do not know what is the best route to take. i.e Integrated or modular? Any help would be great.

The Pink Panther
18th May 2005, 19:36
Clarkie,

As far as I can tell (and I haven't actually started my training yet), Oxford appear to have the best record. Cabair are one of the only other British FTO to do the fully integrated course, but for reasons I am yet to determine are referred to unkindly by some.

The only other British registered FTO that can give you a fully integrated course is Flight Training Europe, (Jerez). If I'm wrong on this I'm sure I will be corrected by more learned people on this forum.

Despite doing the modular course CTC cadets appear to be sought after.

Let's be realistic here, this is your opportunity to start the most wonderful career on the planet, a shave and some nice threads really are what you want. You've gotta assume that they're looking at future captains, and casual gear with bum-fluff is not what the PAX want to see.
:hmm:

The Pink Panther
18th May 2005, 19:47
Rich,

As i posted to Clarkie, Oxford appear to have the best name. As for modular vs integrated, it's usually the integrated course that most airlines prefer. Having said that :\ BA have taken cadets from CTC who go the modular route - what gives? :ugh:

If you're asking these questions check out www.baileyjamison.co.uk. His e-book is about 16 pounds sterling and will bring you up to speed like you've wanted to fly since you were in short trousers. For those of you who have wanted nothing else since you were in short trousers PM me and I'll give you the gen without breaking copyright.

; - )

arpansingla
18th May 2005, 19:53
I'd advise you to do a search there is plenty of info about all the FTO's in the UK. I dont think there is one school where you will find it has 100% satisfaction from the customers but then its fair to say no one is perfect! I think the pick of the bunch are Oxford, FTE (Jerez) and Cabair for integrated and if you want to go modular then there is Pilot Ground Training, Bristol Ground School, Riverside, Oxford, FTE, Cabair, Naples Air Center, Bournemouth, Aeros, Professional Air Training, Atlantic Flight Training to name but a few. Search using the names i have already mentioned.

Also with the integrated/modular debate there are also various threads about people's feelings on this, along with the pro's and con's. I'd advise you to do a search using 'integrated' or 'modular'

IMHO i would say Oxford and integrated is the best way to go due to what i've heard. That is if you have adequate money to spend and are willing to work very hard!

All the Best
Arpan

The Greaser
18th May 2005, 20:00
I had some assessments many years ago at Cabair and I got exactly the same impression as you.
Remember you are the customer, this is not the RAF, you are paying a shed load of money for this, ignore Cabair and go modular if necessary.

Good luck.

silverknapper
18th May 2005, 20:13
Don't listen to anyone here. Do a search, and construct an opinion of your own. Too many people try to justify the route they took or are taking. Also many people post opinions here who haven't actually completed their training. Quite how they feel they can comment on a route when they haven't done it I'll never know.
Too many people hark on about Oxford. They aren't all they're cracked up to be, ask they guys who have been there and don't have a job. My personal opinion is that a modular route is best. You'll save over £20k on an integrated course, and plenty modular guys get jobs. Indeed as highlighted aboce CTC is modular, and they have the best employment rate of all schemes.

jb5000
18th May 2005, 21:18
But also don't get drawn into the trap of thinking that CTC have the best employment rate *because* they are modular.

7006 fan
18th May 2005, 21:20
What's the old saying:
Sloppy in appearence, sloppy in attitude. OK it may be a Force's view but, if one cannot be bothered to have a shave in the morning...!?! It's not hard work.
Shaving is supposed to protect one from a heart-attack as well
;)

Alex Whittingham
18th May 2005, 22:25
That's true. CTC have the best employment rate *because* they deliver a top class product that the airlines want.

scroggs
19th May 2005, 07:49
Rich, as you'll no doubt discover, contrary to your post, there is actually a great deal of information available about almost all UK flight schools, and it's all here on Pprune Wannabes! You do need to learn to use the 'search' facility at the top of the page, and you'll need to learn to distill the rubbish from the useful info. Ignore anything that seems too emotional!

The modular vs integrated debate is always in progress, and provokes strong feelings on both sides of the argument. The deciding factor for many people is the budget they have available - you can go the modular route for not much more than half the cost of the integrated schools.

As for who recruits from which schools, Oxford, Cabair and FTE (integrated) and CTC (structured modular - thanks Alex!) would all like you to believe that the airlines recruit only from them, and that - of course - their students are preferred by far over and above anyone else's. Of course, none of that is true. These are all very good schools, but they don't have an exclusive route into employment. As you'll find by reading around these forums, people get into the airlines using every variety of training provider available, so don't be too influenced by the big schools' marketing hype. Determination, motivation, resourcefulness and luck are the main requirements to be successful in getting employed.

Scroggs

The Pink Panther
19th May 2005, 18:28
"Don't listen to anyone here"

This include you then?

FougaMagister
19th May 2005, 18:54
Good on the moderator to intervene here!

To the wanabees I would say: THINK FOR YOURSELF! Do YOUR OWN research. Do not listen too much to FTOs' marketing hype. Get documentation on them, their programs, their organisation, their setup, their pass rates (at all levels). Do a selection based on that info - that means writing to them and getting their documentation. Visit those you feel may be more suited to YOUR OWN needs. Ask all relevant questions - don't be shy; if they want your money, they had better take the time to answer you. Talk to students and ex-students. Ask to see their planes/sims.

Assess whether integrated or modular would be better for you, and choose accordingly.

Oxford and Cabair are neither the best nor the worst FTOs in Blighty; I did some ATPL refreshers at Oxford and was impressed with the manuals and the feeback. I also did my MCC there and was very satisfied. But I think their facilities are below standard and their integrated courses are overpriced, bearing in mind the amount of actual flying done Stateside. Also, Oxford airport can be quite congested and you do spend a lot of time at the holding point.

Modular allows you to pick and choose your FTOs and to pay as you go (do not pay up front), therefore making them work hard for your next cheque. It's also cheaper; if you end up saving £15,000, that's nearly the price of a type rating after the frozen ATPL (not that it should come to that). Smaller FTOs don't make you feel like a number. As you guessed, I went modular, and if I had to restart my flight training all over again (God forbid), this is one decision I wouldn't change (I wouldn't change much, actually).

If, after you've done all that, you still feel that integrated is the best way to go for you, then fair enough; but at least, DO the damn research so you make an informed choice! Thinking for oneself is one of the most important attributes of a competent pilot.

Cheers :cool: