PDA

View Full Version : Rating dispatch stations

FougaMagister
18th May 2005, 14:04
I feel like throwing a match in a barrell of gunpowder...

One for the crews: what are your preferred (or worst) airports dispatch-wise? In other words, from your own experience and on your route network, which stations do the best/worst job of dispatching/turning round your airline's flights?

I do not intend this to be a scientific study or poll, just to get some opinions as to how our job is rated (hopefully my station won't fare too badly;) )...

Cheers :cool:

Yeah Whatever
6th Jun 2005, 20:56
IN MY EXPERIENCE THE SIMPLER AND LEAST CLUTTERD A HANDLIG AGENT, KEEPS IT'S MODUS OPERANDI THE MORE EFFECTIVE IT BECOMES, THE MORE MOTIVATED THE STAFF AND THE QUICKER THE TURNAROUND, DON'T OVERCOMPLICATE THINGS!

ALSO AS WITH ALL THINGS MONEY MAKES A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE.

THERE ARE TWO STRAIGHTFORWARD WAYS OF LOOKING AT THINGS.

IF YOU OPT FOR CHEAP, YOU GET NASTY
IF YOU OPT FOR DEAR, YOU GET GOOD.

YOU CANNOT HAVE CHEAP AND GOOD, THE TWO NEVER HAPPEN TOGETHER.

Cheers Buddy
6th Jun 2005, 20:56
Flying for Ryanair in LPL - Usually handle myself!!! Just the other day I had to get the airside marshaller to chock my plane, whilst one of my cabin attendants escourted the pax to arrivals. All this due to no attendance to my arrival from the agent from the circus!!! - no joke!!
Ill let you form your own opinions as to how good the handling is from Servisair here. I dare not put into words on pprune what I think of them! LPL - "Above us only chaos!"

JB007
8th Jun 2005, 19:44
EDI...very poor attitude! The Union boys are alive and well...

templar
29th Jun 2005, 15:39
Anywhere italian..( lin,mxp,lin,pmo,aho,vrn,psa,olb,goa,fco,trs,trn) and greek ( aht,zth,aja,cfu,kgs) Italians the worst I've encountered. Slow, lazy, flippant with poor work ethic. If there is football on you are well and truly shafted. Greeks caused us major headaches last year with worldcup/olympics fever. We were once left sitting for almost an hr cos Guisseppe was watching Ac milan on his portable. On top of this consider inadequate staffing levels at peak times compounded by slots from hell if you're even 5 mins late due to ATC capacity at certain times.

T+

Ckin Gal
3rd Jul 2005, 09:01
i've learnt my lesson. after asking our loaders to unload to boeing holds (only 733/735 mind,) they then decided to slowly load the bags. really frustrating!!! another delay due loading yesterday. must not expect loaders to move speedily. a new mantra.

Penguin2000
4th Jul 2005, 11:00
Hey FougaMagister

I'm assuming that your a dispatcher and jsut wondered do you enjoy the job? I was a dispatcher until recently and loved it and i am to, curious about what flight crews think of us dispatchers. Anybody got views on dispatchers at Scottish airports?

Ducki
4th Jul 2005, 11:40
I am a dispatcher in the midlands, and I love my job. I get a buzz out of getting a 20 min turn around when the aircraft are running very late, if you are straight with all the crews involved and tell them what you are doing and why, and that we are doing it so they can get to the pub earlier when they get back they will often be alot more helpful. The loaders are great too, the dispatchers help load the bags with the loaders and they help us in return. Its a case of I scratch your back, you scratch my back.

duece19
4th Jul 2005, 19:56
erm, well Im a flightcrew, and I must admit, there is some exciting dispatchers in Scotland. Some very nice ones :O and some not so nice ones.

As a flightcrew, im depentand on you as a dispatcher, therefore I appriciate your efforts even when everyting isnt running smoothly. I think of it as it we are working in one team, we all have the same goal, to hit the pub as early as possible.

:E

Anyway, I think most flightcrew appriciate all hard work you groundstaff put in to our operations to keep it rolling.

thanks very much

duece

FougaMagister
27th Jul 2005, 12:44
Penguin 2000: yes, dispatching is a good job if you can handle the stress (mostly induced by tight turnaround times) and the odd bad-tempered crew/ramp team/airline duty manager etc. But I guess that is valid for every job...

There is indeed lots of satisfaction in turning round, say, a 737 in under 25 minutes in order to make up for the late arrival of the inbound aircraft (delay 93...), or in getting it right on trim-wise, or simply in sending an flight a few minutes early.

There are a lot of things to be aware of during a turnaround, so it's all about forward planning (and thinking) - knowing what will happen in 5 minutes time. So it's a bit like flying really.

Most crews I work with seem to have a fairly good opinion of us, even though sometimes we (and they) are let down by the lack of means at our disposal or by the airport facilities themselves, but as long as we explain honestly the reasons, then it's usually OK. Most crews also appreciate that we work really hard on their turnaround (and sometimes on another one at the same time!).

Altogether a good job, but for the many (very) early starts and the poor rates of pay :{

Cheers :cool:

Matty J
7th Aug 2005, 18:29
As has already been stated, anywhere Italian!

Working for FR at STN our FRL (Forli) flight is late in almost everyday!! The FD Crew can't stand the place and the stories ive heard from the Cpts and F/O's about the work rate and attitude are unbelievable!!

Genoa and Verona Bresica were always bad ones aswell.

Matt.