PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat Procedure BMed

flybywire
18th May 2005, 11:22
Hello BMed crews!!!!

I am trying to go to Beirut for a week next month and have bought a standard ID90 BA ticket. I was wondering what the procedure (if there's one) to request permission to the captain/purser for the use of a jumpseat is, in case the flights were completely full... Loads are good at the moment but there's only 1 flight per day and the thought of getting stuck for days is a bit scary!

Any info would be very apprecaited....and if you ever fly out of LGW (SH) leave me a private message with name, position and flight and I'll sort it out for you :)

Thank you!!!

FBW:)

flybywire
18th May 2005, 21:51
Anybody knows? :confused:

Don Coyote
19th May 2005, 14:46
The flight deck jump seat is a no-no.

The cabin crew jump seats can be made available (at captains discretion) to passengers travelling on BMED travel privileges. This is also subject to which aircraft is operating the route as one of the aircraft has limited jump seats.

flybywire
19th May 2005, 18:53
Thank you guys..
This is what happens in BA mainline (at least at LGW).
If it is one of us travelling or somebody we know we leave a note for the purser/captain of that flight few days in advance at the crew ops desk (as a courtesy). Then we also request it at the check in desk.

If there's no crew seat available because of extra crew members, IF the crew agree the SNY sits in the F/D for take off and landing and the staff can take the the crew seat. But of course this is only out of courtesy of the crew who operate that particular flight.
I don't mind doing it, I in fact I did it for a Virgin crew a few days ago since she was desperately trying to go home to MAN and all flights were full!

So all I was wondering is if it is usual practice to leave a note where could I leave it, and if BA crews are allowed on a spare jumpseat (crew seat) or if it is only for BMED crews.

If any of you is going to Beirut on the 13th of june or coming back on the 19th I'll bring you chocolate to thank you for the info!!! :ok:

Ciao!!

Flyingwise
20th May 2005, 16:40
I was promised the jump seat once out of BEY, even spoke to the Captain , who met me in the departure hall. I get as far as the boarding gate only to be informed that he had changed his mind.

Ground staff were amazed, apparrently, he found out that I was BA crew and not BMed crew, so he refused to take me....cheers pal....

Good luck, getting out of BEY can be a complete nightmare, get back up tickets with Air France to CDG. I ended up having to pay £814 one way club, just to get home............ :mad:

Have to say the BMed cabin crew are excellent.....:ok:

tofster
20th May 2005, 19:07
Hey there FlyByWire!!
So now I get to help you for a change! I'm afraid that the policy at Bmed is that only Bmed cabin crew can take jumpseats on Bmed aircraft. So that is the reason that why the BA hostie on here would have been turned down, nothing personal I'm sure.

I know this isnt the news you would want, be careful on the BEY trip, when I was at Bmed they were always pretty full.

Best of luck honey, see you online soon!!

flybywire
20th May 2005, 23:26
Thank you guys...
Wow....looks like it's going to be Bangkok for me then!!! Shame since I miss BEY so much, but the full BA fare is too high and man, isn't it depressing when though you fly for BA you have to buy very expensive tickets!!! :(

Flyingwise why did you have to buy a club ticket? I mean....since there was a spare club seat...why didn't they just upgrade you??? We do it all the time here at LGW!!! True LGW flight/cabin crews and ground staff are very friendly and take care of each other. Once I even got upgraded to Club at the boarding gate just because the dispatcher recognised my name on the list! :ooh:

Tofster....thank you, I might see what's available on the ZED site. When do you start? I really hope I will be on one of your first flights...we'll have some serious FUN!!!! :E

Thank you again guys...

Love

Flyingwise
21st May 2005, 07:42
'I'm afraid that the policy at Bmed is that only Bmed cabin crew can take jumpseats on Bmed aircraft. So that is the reason that why the BA hostie on here would have been turned down, nothing personal I'm sure.'

Oh yeah sure, no problem for Capt to actually meet you and tell you no problem , chat about your holiday and them 20 minutes later off load you because you re BA (CSD) yeah nothing personal. The guy was a total vvanker. I am waiting for him to ask me for a jump seat or up grade and I know how to handle him. A BA skipper would not have done that !

FBW

I had to buy a ful l fare because the flights were leaving full. BA in BEY were not selling any W/T seats, they could only offer me Club. Good luck getting out there, it\'s a great place, plenty to see, you still have to be careful, keep a low profile and stick to the main tourist areas. Have fun

Jet A1
21st May 2005, 09:54
I have been in the position where we allowed a Bmed the use of a crew seat down the back only to find 10 mins later that our Zero Fuel Weight increased to max due to rush cargo and that meant no staff onloaded and our j/s pax offloaded. Sorry - but what can you do ?

wiggy
21st May 2005, 13:25
I'll second that Jet A1

A while back mon Capitane was asked to OK the jump seats to get about half a dozen staff pax ( including some of the operating Cabin Crew partners) back to UK. Captain checked the figures, OK'd it, and behold our staff pax got on and settled - then, just before doors close, the Station Staff rush on and inform us the Zero Fuel Weight was now above limits ( i.e. the station staff had got their sums wrong)...... so we had no choice offload all the staff pax and depart with empty jumpseats............

Of course all us Nigels were instantly painted as lying, devious, b**** and no amount of CRM :eek:, trying to explain the concept of Zero Fuel Weight, etc, would change our Cabin Crews minds....the fact that
(a) we had tried and
(b) we had been stuffed by circumstances outside our control
was completely lost on our colleagues, who I'm sure thought we were allvvankers , as Flyingwise to eloquently put it.
( I guess you've never promised something and then been unable to deliver, Flyingwise)

Sometimes we can promise the seats but later, in the rush of departure, a genuine reason arises that means the seats can't be used.......we can only do so much guys.....

flyer55
21st May 2005, 14:39
Why not buy an ID 80 or you get back up tickets for MEA / Emirates via DXB. Thats one thing aboug LGW you can either leave a note at the Ops desk which PSR/CSD would pick up or maildrop the Despatcher on that date. They probably treat you the same way as GB .

longbow
21st May 2005, 17:47
Don Coyote is right in that the crew jump seats can only be used by people travelling on BMed concessions (not just cabin crew).
Flying wise[B]- I remember that incident in Bey, The Captain thought you were travelling on those priviliges, and when told by the groundstaff that you were BA, he had no option to deny you. A BA skipper would have done exactly the same. It's not him that is the 'vvanker'. It's not you that gets suspended is it?.

flybywire
21st May 2005, 23:33
Hello again...

I just want to say two things....
Flyingwise,I really don't get it! If you were on an ID90 ticket and WT loads were so bad but there was space in CW for you to buy a ticket....why didn't they simply allocate you on a CW seat!? Simply UPGRADE you? Why buy a ticket?? Don't tell me that only BMED crews/staff can be upgraded!!!

You are right to say that most BA skippers wouldn't have done it!! In fact our (BA) crew seats are available to all staff. I indeed sat in the FD a few days ago to allow a Virgin Atlantic cabin crew to sit on my crew seat and so manage to fly back home to Manchester. We do these things between us, we take care of each other, it doesn't matter whether you are BA, Virgin, Delta crew etc! Or even a partner flying on ID90/ZED ticket!! We often do it for non-crew sby pax as long as we give them a full briefing (02, different brace pos. etc)

I actually lived in Beirut and Amman few years ago before I started flying and that's why I go at least once a year, I miss it and miss my friends, but I don't want to get stuck there, or indeed at LHR (even worse!!). So I have now requested ZED flights with AF/ME via CDG as a backup. I don't even need to endorse them since AF and ME are partners.
Shame on my own company. :yuk:

Thank you again guys. I will get there somehow... Inshallah!!!! :)

Love

***Love at first Flight***