PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player Codecs Problem

BMM389EC
18th May 2005, 09:47
Hello All

I'm suddenly having problems playing mpeg movies using Windows Media Player. I keep getting "Error downloading codec" with a blank screen and all you get is the sound. Doesnt matter what it is-downloaded off the net or off the camera. Havent changed any settings on it recently so not sure. Any ideas?

Wing Commander Fowler
18th May 2005, 11:20
It may only just be giving you problems because you have recently downloaded an update through windows update. Thinking service pack 2 or media 9 or so..... Have you tried viewing the movie while connected to the internet as then it should hopefully be able to find the codec on microsofts site?

Alternatively select the sticky at the top of the forum, usefull software (ultimate guide), media players and download the free codecs.

BMM389EC
18th May 2005, 13:46
Hello
Thanks for the reply-I havent downloaded any software updates recently and have been online when I tried to watch?
I'll try the downloads as suggested.

spannersatcx
18th May 2005, 16:44
Which version are you using? If 9 might be worth downloading 10 and trying that?

BMM389EC
19th May 2005, 03:42
Using version 10 now. Go back to version 9?

Tonic Please
19th May 2005, 12:53
Going down to 9 might help, but if 10 cant find a codec for some reason, I dont think 9 will find it any better :confused:

Try the links in the sticky up top for now and see how it goes, on 10. Then try 9. If not, come back and i'll suggest some other things.

Dan

Conan the Librarian
19th May 2005, 14:23
daft thought, but I noticed a few files in my library that would not play had an extra .mpg4 extension or similar. I renamed the files to .mpg and they play fine now.

Conan

olderairhead
22nd May 2005, 10:59
Go here (http://www.xpcodecpack.com) and download the codec pack. It will have everything you need.

BMM389EC
22nd May 2005, 12:22
Thanks, but when I click on it the page just refreshes and nothing happens?

Tonic Please
22nd May 2005, 14:30
Right click on it, and press SAVE AS

:)

BMM389EC
22nd May 2005, 15:02
I tried that-it just saves the web page.

spannersatcx
22nd May 2005, 15:57
Just click on the link (left button)the download window should pop up automatically.

olderairhead
24th May 2005, 10:01
BMM389EC, I am assuming you are using IE, if so then your privacy and security settings may be set too high. Try medium for privacy and medium - low for security. Also if you are running a firewall you may have to change some settings there also to allow popups.

Try the above and if it is successful and you get your download don't forget to reset your settings to what you had previously.

Hope this helps. :D