PDA

View Full Version : EU taxpayers footing USAir shot-in-the-arm

jet_fumes_junkie
18th May 2005, 04:39
er-boos execs have learned the lessons form loan-shark movies..."what is that usair, on the brink of bankruptcy? sure you can borrow $250 mil...all you gotta do is be the first north-american wh:mad:re and buy 20 a350's...there's a good boy, now roll over!:} "

man o man, we'll be paying for the fat-laden "salads" at the golden arches in euros in no time!:ok:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20050516/ca_pr_on_bu/us_airways_america_west

ironbutt57
18th May 2005, 04:51
Wait....didnt think Euro-bus was financed by the gov't.... only given "loans" to launch new products.....so it shouldn't really matter should it? Hope the whole plan gets tossed by the US govt anyway....

Gillegan
18th May 2005, 04:57
European taxpayers footing the bill? I thought that Airbus wasn't government subsidized. Rather, the money from the various euro governments were loans subject to the normal commercial conditions. I'm sure that Airbus shareholders wouldn't allow the company to sell aircraft below cost - just to attain market share.

ironbutt57
18th May 2005, 06:34
Looks like business as usual....bribing airlines to buy their product...of course mr "jet fumes junkie" if it weren't for those nasty americans..(immigrants from europe i think) you,d be spending ur time goose-stepping yourself to the schnitzel cart instead...

sammypilot
18th May 2005, 07:44
I seem to remember that when the Starfighter was being sold many years ago the price included the bankhanders paid to those with the purchasing power. It got to the stage where almost 50% of the price of a Starfighter was represented by the ex-offico payments.

Dutchie
18th May 2005, 07:47
@jet_fumes_junkie

Have seen it all before, just look up the history of a company called ATA in the states and see what mr Boeing offered them.. :rolleyes: It is called business :cool:

MarkD
19th May 2005, 00:26
US taxpayers support the Export/Import bank backing the Boeing sale to Air Canada (who somehow are finding $125m for USAir/AmWest). So both sets of taxpayers are involved, indirectly!

panda-k-bear
19th May 2005, 15:58
Ironbutt - I totally agree with you. I hope it's thrown out by the authorities. That way the heap of cr@p that is USAirways can damn well fail just like it deserves to - as does United, come to that. Maybe the new entity should be called "44". Because that's 4 x (chapter) 11.

Why use European taxpayers money to prop it up as well as U.S. taxpayers money (anybody remember the ATSB?)