PDA

View Full Version : Birdstrike at MAN

richierich
17th May 2005, 21:21
At Manchester today for a couple of hours and couldnt help but notice a Monarch A330 that, slightly before rotation, started to make an awful noise which did not sound good at all...The aircraft continued to make this noise whilst climbing and sounded extremely dodgy and like it was struggling.. Word from the aircraft to the tower a couple of minutes later was they had taken a large bird into an engine........would it not be normal procedure to return after an event like this??????

chiglet
17th May 2005, 21:55
T'was an A300, and he did.
watp,iktch

lomapaseo
17th May 2005, 23:43
No doubt the noise was from a couple of bent fan blades whoppin the air instead of shaving it.

The same noise can be heard in those bird ingestion tests that the engine manufacturers run. Now days that have to run on like that for about 20 mins or enough time to make an air-turn-back

Avro504k
31st May 2005, 19:15
Yep, twas a Monarch A300 bound for CHQ. I know. I was on it. Takeoff was pretty
noisy down the back where I was, but the noise and vibration declined to
something close to normal once power was reduced. The only nasty
bit was the unpleasant smell of burned bird that drifted through the cabin during
the takeoff roll. Return to MAN was uneventful and nicely handled by all
concerned.

Thanks are due to the folks who turned out on their days off to fly us to HER
that night on a replacement A330. Boos and hisses are due to Swissport for checking
in the same two pax twice throwing out the tally and delaying our eventual departure
by a further two hours over the 12 already incurred