PDA

View Full Version : ATPL exams time limit?

PIGDOG
17th May 2005, 15:40
Just a quickie, I hope some one can help.

How long do your passed ATPL exams last for?

Also, is it possible to sit an exam seperately?

I'm just finishing an A/C engineering degree and I was wondering if it was possible to sit the A/C system structure and engine exams on their own. Just thought it would be easier since I'm up to date with it.

Thanks

silverknapper
17th May 2005, 15:53
You would have to do an approved course before you sit them. Don't know if you may be exempt if it was a CAA engineering course. Doubt it though.
Exams last 3 years, and you have 6 sittings to get them in.
You can sit them on their own - but you would be wasting sittings only doing one exam. To be honest AGK isn't that hard, there id just a lot to it. Certainly it will be no where near your level so you should be fine in the future.

helicopter-redeye
17th May 2005, 16:30
Once you take the first exam the clock starts ticking ....

This is why people do them in blocks. 18months S2F from first sitting to time out.

As SK says, you need to have done the course as well.

h-r

jb5000
17th May 2005, 16:46
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been covered before.. but why is it that you have to take a recognised course?

Surely its possible to simply buy the material and learn it on your own, after all you would still have to sit the exams?

If simply passing the exams is not sufficient to demonstrate that you know everything well enough, then whats the point in taking them at all?

Any thoughts appreciated!

James

Whirlygig
17th May 2005, 20:48
The JAA requirements are that you undergo a certain number of hours theoretical instruction. This can only really be "proved" if you go on an approved course. I suppose this way they think you might actually learn something rather than learn answers by rote from a question bank!

Cheers

Whirlygig

helicopter-redeye
17th May 2005, 21:09
then whats the point in taking them at all?

Them's the rules. Endex.

:\ :8

smith
18th May 2005, 14:18
JB500

Maybe you could buy the medical books, sit the exams and become a doctor?

Most schools actually give you course work and mock exams to prove you are ready for the finals. Also all correspondance between the CAA and you personally is through your school ie. booking exams and getting exam results. This cuts down the work for the CAA and saves them getting calls every 5 minutes from anxious students looking for exam results etc.