PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Forum Please

DEFCON4
17th May 2005, 11:13
To the long suffering moderators of the Cabin Crew forum, would it be possible for us hooligans at Qantas to have our own seperate forum?I know we cause you a lot of grief and I would like to apologize for our sometimes over the top behaviour.It may be easier for all concerned if we had our own playground away from the adults.
Similar perhaps to the BA private forum.
What do you think?

west coast girl
17th May 2005, 12:04
as long as you don't start bagging london based crew again.
the faaa just sold everyone down the shute with the AO EBA -you've lost the airbus -and all as you want to do is have a go at a few crew trying a change in UK.
Give us a break!

RollzRoyce
17th May 2005, 12:33
I had brought this topic to the attention of the moderators a few months ago. They said they would look into it. Never heard from them again. A Forum specifically for Qantas crew would be excellent!!!

Rollz :ok:

ozskipper
17th May 2005, 22:30
It would be useful and we seem to be major contributors...

Besides, it would spare the long suffering mod's and non-qantas contributors from the pains of our public punch-ups!

TightSlot
17th May 2005, 23:59
Well, I'll ask the question of the powers that be and get back to you. I'd like to make the following points though...

Firstly, in addition to this forum, and others, don't forget that there is also the entire "Dunnunda & Godzone" zone in which you can play. The mods in this area are rather more battle hardened to some of the more colourful aspects of OZ discussions. Also, since the readership there tends to be either from that part of the world, or interested in it, then it may be assumed that they understand how the game is played. A lot of the readership in CC forum are not QF, and judging from the complaints that mods receive from these people, are appalled by the behaviour of some QF contributors.

Secondly, I'm not convinced that what some of you want is a forum for the discussion of Qantas issues: You could do that here, and indeed, since the latest bout of moderator stick waving, it is noticeable that the tone/content of several QF threads has changed to that where individuals actually discuss issues, and do so politely and intelligently (by and large!). I suspect that what some want is a private forum where you believe you'll be able to abuse each other without the annoying restriction of a moderator. Some people just aren't happy unless they're in a fight.

Finally, I'd ask you all to remember what PPRuNe is: It is Danny's internet forum. It is not a public service. It is paid for by primarily by advertising revenue. The moderators are all unpaid and all have day jobs to pay the bills: Often, they do the same day job as you. You may disagree sometimes with what we do, but without us, these forums would very quickly disintegrate and the site would become unusable. Most moderators will tell you, if asked, that 1% of the users create 99% of the requirement for moderation.

Lastly, I am going to do what I should never do, and will probably wish I had not - namely comment on an issue: In this case Qantas. I only have a very basic understanding of what is going on there, but one thing sticks out like a sore thumb. Qantas management are clearly operating on a "Divide and Rule" basis, setting one camp against another. With this policy, they have achieved spectacular success. If some of the venom displayed on PPRuNe towards other QF crew were to be channelled more effectively towards the problems, it is possible that rather more might be achieved. Some of you will disagree with this, and say so here. Some will see these comments as evidence of supposed moderator bias one way or another. Some will just see an opportunity to settle an old score. Some will see it for what it is, namely good advice offered with the best intentions from someone who has been in the business for almost 30 years and flying for 25 of them.

Discuss...

west coast girl
18th May 2005, 08:16
defcon4
the faaa has spent a huge amount of member's money on setting up & maintaining a web site with lots of pretty pictures .
are they big enough to launch a dedicated link such as pprune where members can discuss issues without fear or favour?
are they up to taking constructive criticism or prefer there usual style of dictatorial directives on red pieces of paper e.g the ridiculous call to strike over xmas?

RaverFlaver
18th May 2005, 12:42
DEFCON4,

would it be possible for us hooligans at Qantas to have our own seperate forum?I know we cause you a lot of grief

I think that's a great idea......

And would it be possible for you not to pm others and block the the ability for us to reply.....

Have a great night,

RaverFlaver :)

Woomera
19th May 2005, 03:00
Someone suggested I come over here for a look! :ok: This forum is about as robust - or rough and rugged as Dunnunda forum!

"Firstly, in addition to this forum, and others, don't forget that there is also the entire "Dunnunda & Godzone" zone in which you can play."

Thanks. It was relatively quiet over at Dunnunda! :{

"The mods in this (that?) area are rather more battle hardened to some of the more colourful aspects of OZ discussions."

I like that! Recognition at last! :ok:

"...since the latest bout of moderator stick waving, it is noticeable that the tone/content of several QF threads has changed to that where individuals actually discuss issues, and do so politely and intelligently...."

You are doing better than us Woomeri in controlling the Aussie rabble. I'll contact you privately for lessons and suggestions! :O

There are specific airline forums but they cater for the entire spectrum of that airline's staff, not a specific employment sector. Whilst I'm simply visiting here, I could not imagine a dedicated forum, for a specific sector, of a specific airline, would be justified.

Just my two cents worth.

Tightslot - you're doing a great job mate! :ok:

Have fun kids!

:}

Woomera

Rollingthunder
19th May 2005, 04:12
If I remember the drill correctly:

Make a contribution financially to PPRuNe - to help support its efforts and your desired forum. I notice most of you haven't even have helped with personal titles.

Have a moderator who can vet that members of the private forum are actually QF staff members and do the usual mod things.

Ask humbly.

Woomera
19th May 2005, 07:09
".....but it would be nice to have a dedicated forum for QANTAS employee's."

I thought you had one? Isn't it's called QREWRoom? I guess the problem there is you have to behave or Geoff makes you stand in the corner for a few hours!

:}

Dedicated forums defeat their purpose. They are "closed" forums, open only to identified and confirmed employees of that specific airline. Anonimity is probably gone. As a single carrier forum, they exclude the possibility of interaction with other airline's staff - and wouldn't you all like to know what great and generous EBA offers are being made to Australian, Jet* and Virgin cabin crew? :E

Also, as they are "closed", other PPRuNers - including nosey Mods like me - can't wander in for a look around and a chat.

Danny would be able to confirm, but I suspect closed single airline forums have not been a success, either for PPRuNe or for PPRuNe users.

Just my two bucks worth!

You got a top Mod here girls. His care quotient is obviously far higher than the Woomera care quotient! :suspect: Treat him nicely - he's obviously unaccustomed to dealing with Colonial riff raff like us!

It's beer o'clock - I'm off back to Dunnunda for a soothing ale. :ok:

Avagudday!

Woomera

DEFCON4
19th May 2005, 08:17
I believe this is a pilots only affair.
So mods where are we at with this?I am more than happy to spend a few bucks to get something Up and running.Perhaps the moderators could determine the shape and form of this puppy.
What do you think?

Argus
21st May 2005, 04:10
TightSlot

Your divide and rule observation is on point. However, it's not clear to me whether QF management actively encourages the inter tribal warfare; or merely stands by and exploits the situation for its own purposes.

My intuition tends to favour the latter. I suspect much of the QF FA vitriol on PPRuNe emanates from those long serving Qantas employees who were weaned on the mammae of the Public Service. More recently recruited staff appear to have a somewhat different outlook. And there's the rub.

Why would QF management actively act as agent provocateurs and run the risk of being exposed, when its staff do such a magnificent job by themselves?

Whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad.

qfcsm
24th May 2005, 13:03
Hi TightSlot,

Can I make a suggestion please?

I see your point that private forums restrict participation so how about forums thus:
“Airline Specific Public Forums”

That way you can set up a Qantas specific forum without all the administration stuff of authenticating users..

Just a thought….. Cheers.

TightSlot
24th May 2005, 18:48
Thank you all for your suggestions and questions. For the time being we live with what we have: There is a likelihood of some PPRuNe redesign in the future, and at that point we will revisit this issue (mental note - Yuk! I'm beginning to sound like a manager - and a bad one at that!)
qfcsm - interesting idea - thanks. DEFCON4, thanks also.

PPRuNe Towers
24th May 2005, 23:07
Before you get over excited the private forums are moderated exactly the way this one is. Same expectations and standards - in fact a significant number of the private forum mods run to a far stricter interpretation of the rules you all signed up to.

It's fascinating that those same mods have forums that have had very significant successes in terms of dealing with management and union issues.

Regarding areas of the site you can check out yourself Rotorheads is far, far and away the most successful helo forum in the world. We've lost count of the number of users who come, stay and clearly state it's because it is moderated by talented and knowledgeable industry insiders and users are forced to go for the ball and not the player. Same goes for this forum too.

Regards
Rob Lloyd