PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew Uniforms

EAAFA
17th May 2005, 09:11
I would love to know what flight attendants around the world think of the uniforms they have to wear, so please submit your comments.

I work for Qantaslink and I'm very happy with the appearance of our Morrissey designed uniforms (the quality of the fabrics and workmanship is another story). This is the first time ever that the regional arm of QF has a better uniform than mainline (our print has a rich red ochre base, while mainline's is a dull brown. Very unflattering).

I'm particularly interested in comments from airlines with more exotic uniforms, eg. Singapore, Malaysian, etc. Your uniforms are great from a brand recognition perspective, but what about safety and practicality? Any moves on the part of cabin crew to change the uniforms and bring them into the 21st century?

RaverFlaver
17th May 2005, 09:16
I'm particularly interested in comments from airlines with more exotic uniforms

I guess that counts ours out!

I don't think AO's uniform needs to be discussed as it already has been, and besides, I wouldn't know where to begin......tee hee

Ok, in one word........."WRONG"!!!

Have a great night all,

RaverFlaver :)

SkySista
17th May 2005, 09:31
Raver, i heard you guys were getting new duds.....! Is it not on then?? :confused:

Also, EAAFA, there was a thread about uniforms awhile ago, i think more about past ones. I'm sure you've heard of Cliff and the UniformFreak web site... it's a must-see! :ok:

Sky

RaverFlaver
17th May 2005, 09:41
Skysista,

Apparently we are. Although none of us have been shown or told what the changes/new uniform will be.

I have been told too that it will still be months (around 6 or 7) before we do get it, due to decision making, ordering and everything else that goes with it....I'm sure it will be an improvement, I don't think it could get worse. lol.

Night,

RaverFlaver :)

apaddyinuk
17th May 2005, 12:16
My BA's Julien McDonald uniform is great and looks fantastic on most of us....However, like Qantaslink....Materials are a different story!!!

Flying_Sarah747
17th May 2005, 23:28
I too LOVE my BA Julien MacDonald uniform...It's stylish and sexy, even though all the buttons on my jackets are now attached with saftey pins...even the ones on the sleeve!! HAHAHA!!! But jokes aside, I love wearing it, much better than the Costello one!!!

flybywire
18th May 2005, 11:48
I agree....BA's new uniform is really smart, sexy and feels very good. Even the truosers...so comfy although size 6 is way too big for me!! :O
Sarah ALL my buttons, including the in-flight gilet ones are attached with safety pins!!! I just cannot bother anymore, I was going blind trying to sew them flight after flight!!!

Also new name badges and wings-they look so stylish and I am very proud to wear them-but what's the deal with the poor-quality pins!!! they open and hurt!!
I am now (almost) a one-boobed girl ;);) :}

FBW:)

apaddyinuk
18th May 2005, 11:56
Yes, I now carry a box of safety pins for when I or my colleagues buttons go flying!!!

And FlyByWire.....That size 6 doesnt fit you but perhaps another size 6 might....nothing sweems to be the same, my 15 1/2 shirts are all different sizes!!! ha!! Still love it though! Better than any of the uniforms iv worn in the past for various airlines!!!

EAAFA
18th May 2005, 11:57
To skysista, thanks for the suggested website. I've seen it before and found it a bit on the creepy side.

To the BA flighties, there's a lot to be said for a uniform that makes you feel sexy. I felt the same way when our (Qantas) uniform was introduced, but in no time it started to lose its shape. Pants with saggy bums and knees are definitely not sexy.:yuk:

flybywire
18th May 2005, 21:43
That's true apaddyinuk!!! My two size 6 skirts-one fits the other too big!!! One made in portugal the other in the philippines!!!
And how come that 2 companies that were supposed to make our uniforms went bust in the first 6 months... :}

I had Julien MacDonald on one of my flights months ago and he didn't seem particularly happy unfortunately....but I do think that it's a great uniform and it now feels like a second skin (also thanks to crew ops :ugh: ). Shame the materials are so cheap.

Saw some Austrian Airlines crew in AMS crew centre yesterday....wow red tights and red flat shoes :ooh: I suppose they're supplied by the company, I can only imagine myself looking for red tights/stockings in sainsbury's!!! :E

I loved my Air Europe Italy uniforms, both the light and the dark blue ones, very "Italian", sexy and easy to take care of. Loved the foulard and how all of us used to wear it in different ways all the time :}

Hated Air2000 old uniform, a bit like the Costelloe but even cheaper and never understood why I had to wear horse mouth-bits on my shirt!! :yuk: And on the summer skirt!!!! :yuk:
When it became First Choice Airways, we had the pink and green one....oh my God that was and still is an insult to the word style!!! I used to feel like I had fallen into a pool of pepto-bismol (the stomach medicine!) and then got wrapped in candy floss!

BA Costelloe wasn't confortable for me, but it surely meant a lot. I wore that uniform with pride and it meant that all those years of night flights, rude passengers, hundreds of there&backs to larnaca and tenerife were worth it in the end!!!

The most beautiful one though, in my opinion, is still Singapore Airlines'. That is really super.

Ciao

KiloMIke
18th May 2005, 23:55
The SQ & MH uniforms do look good. Think its called a 'kabaya'.

I do recall someone telling me once that SQ put padding in them to give the girls bigger busts as Western men preferred that. Dount it was true but you never know.

Think the Aer Lingus uniform is nice and the new Aerolineas Argentinas is quite nice too.

Talking of red the latest VS one is very smart and a vast improvement on the drummer boy look.

SAS uniforms look good too and suit all ages & sizes.

fly_guy100
19th May 2005, 00:30
I think that the Emirates female uniforms looks extremely elegant and classy looking, although I think they could spice it up with the male uniform, at least add a vest, looks more professional!

SkySista
19th May 2005, 00:53
Well, if you ever get the chance to see them close up.... oh my!!!

At an EK open day once, as I was waiting in the lobby, a whole SQ crew checked in to the hotel. In a word...

GORGEOUS!!!!

The uniforms are so very pretty close up. I did not realise there was so much detail to the design. I realised I was kind of staring, but I think the girls get that all the time, as a few of them smiled at me as they walked by. :D

Of course, they were all TINY TINY TINY, I am an AU 6/8 and I could easily have picked up one under each arm and carried them - so little! Also, I have no idea how they manage to do ANYTHING in those uniforms - they looked so tight fitting to wear, unless, of course, they have one for "show" and one for in-flight...

I have not seen a crew who looked better after a long haul flight either - immaculate hair and makeup, and all giggling and chatting away....

I do like the EK hat though! :p

blueloo
19th May 2005, 01:19
Sky, they look immaculate after the flight because there are so many crew on board. On one flight i paxed, with 2 other crew in the pointy end of a triple7 (12 seats, 3 pax), there were at least 7 crew looking after 3 of us, with numerous other different cabin crew walking up and down.

PerthFlyer101
19th May 2005, 09:40
The etihad uniform designed by Italian designer Ettore Bilotta is amazing.

Dark blue and gold, simple and elegantly designed. An elegant multinational crew complement dressed in the worlds best. Perhaps the reason why they were voted The Worlds Leading New Airline last year!

DesertCrew
19th May 2005, 11:39
the etihad uniform is actually dark grey with a creme coloured scarf/hatlet. GF have Navy blue with Gold buttons and a mauve hatlet, maybe your getting them confused?
I do agree with you though the Etihad uniform is nice, didnt like it at first but its definately grown on me the more Ive seen it.
I think the EK uniform is very stylish and professional.

fly_guy100
19th May 2005, 14:06
Do you think Emirates will get new uniforms in the near future?

jmccrew
19th May 2005, 17:46
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/flyerbtn/index.html
here is the Thomas Cook Airlines UK, uniform think its very smart !

jetsetterbfs
20th May 2005, 01:42
My goodness, flybywire, you must really have had an awful time at First Choice. Although, I'm not getting into all that again!:p

I'll agree when I first saw the new pink uniform I was pretty unimpressed, but now I think it is really quite nice. It definitely stands out, and is very suited to a holiday airline. I recently operated a trip in South America and every passenger in every airport stopped our crew and commented on how stylish we all looked. The Americans, in particular, loved it.

In an ideal world the blended colours on the ladies' blouses would be changed...but when you have a glamorous crew, the uniform really looks good.

And the new Air Therapist uniform on our longhaul flights is pretty nice as well, very Virgin.

Of course not a patch on BA. (Nothing's as good as them, eh FBW?:yuk: )

Our buttons don't fall off!

Chris

SkySista
20th May 2005, 04:13
In my opinion, I don't think Emirates would be wise to change their uniform toooooo much....

the hat is definitely a keeper - it it their 'symbol' - everyone recognises it.

Maybe changing the colour and the cut (slightly) would make a nice change.

I'm thinking red suit (or at least part of it red) to match the hat, with the cream colour of the scarf as trim, high collar style jacket similar to EY's, slightly more fitted (but not too much, I know they want it baggy). Would really lift the look and the CC would look great in it... they have had the current one since they started, haven't they??

anyway, enough of that. thanks blueloo, I didn't realise SQ crewed with a higher amount than the rest - that does explain it!! (Perhaps also why they consistently win awards for service - more time to spend on pax???)

Sky

flybywire
20th May 2005, 09:10
Chris Chris Chris....

Yes buttons didn't fall off on FCA uniforms since ladies had no buttons. The zip of the jacket, though, ask the poor guy at the dry cleaning at Jubilee house. What about the cheap and nasty crew bags....many crews had bad backs because of them...now finally the company seems to have understood, after over2 sets of bags, 3 sets of wheels in 2 years and lots of money wasted!!
New In-flight waistcoats, oh my god they look like oversized bibs.
And the cabin crew wings...here at LGW are called AQUAFRESH for a reason!!

If you're happy with the FCA pink uniform, good for you!! I am really glad for you.

I am not here to criticize what you find attractive, the initial post clearly stated what your individual experience is, so as far as you give your opinion without starting that really cheap querelle again I give mine.

BA have lots of problems and many times these are left for us cabin crew to solve but the uniform is really stylish, it is recognised itself and has no need to be very "virgin" or very "american airlines" or whatever. And guess what, it feels good to wear it. (At least I feel good in it, I am sure you wouldn't) and I am very proud of it, proud to represent the airline, despite not being British... and that says a lot!

Enjoy your work, your uniform and please, for god's and everybody's sake.....don't start again!!!

Chill out.

FBW

wan2fly
20th May 2005, 10:49
Hi

BA uniform looks really smart - I have a friend who works for BA and said the quality is pants !! - Hw said he had heard that Julien Mc had threatened to take his name off the design due t the poor quality - dunno if that is true though !

See the pics of the Thomas Cook Uniform ( above) - Now that IS quality - We have LH uniform which has been changed slightly - the buttons are embossed with TC and the waistcoats and scarves/ties etc are different. Its German designed and German produced - so its bound to be great quality - I think its fantastic smart and really great to wear - In my Opinion its better than the BA one lol - but then I wear it and Im biased!. All of TCX crew in every country have the same uniform. However here in UK we have VERY strict rules on how to wear it - In Germany for instance they can wear it how they like very strange.

Just ask a TCX girls about the Butterfly knot in her scarf and she will probably thump you one lol !!

Im not sure about the FCA one - too informal for me - blokes do not wear ties for instance and looks a bit naff.

flybywire
20th May 2005, 23:39
wan2fly I must agree with you TCX uniform is really nice. I especially like the female trousers.

Yes what you heard of Julien MacDonald is unfortunately true. But that was due to the fact that BA couldn't launch the new uniform at the same time and after one year there are still people wearing the old one. He wasn't pleased about that!!!

Love the trousers so much-very comfortable, smart,warm in cold weather and not too hot when it's hot. They also saved me lots of money that I would have spent in tights and stockings!!!!

Ciao!!

KiloMIke
21st May 2005, 00:05
Have to agree that it seems to be taking ages to get all the BA staff into the new uniform. Makes it look quite shabby.

As for SQ crewing levels I dont actually think they are any higher than anyone elses. Perhaps someone from SQ could shed some light on it.

jetsetterbfs
22nd May 2005, 00:52
There is a lot to be said for intelligent debate as opposed to infantile squabble.

Did I say I disliked the BA uniform? I have re-read my post, and, heavens, no, I have written no such thing.

I shall go on the record, and quite defiantly state I actually very much admire Julien McDonald's British Airways uniform, and think it is the best in its field. It is extremely stylish and very modern. I like it. I do not know about the quality of it other than what has been said on this highly accurate forum. If the buttons fall off, well, they can be sewed back on. That's why hotels provide those nice little amenity kits.

Yes, I like my company's uniform. Yes, I think it is actually pretty nice. Yes, I think it stands out. Yes, it is different in many ways. Yes, the wings are quite bold in their design. Yes, it is pink.

And yes, the company completely messed up in the crew bag fiasco. But they have put it right at obviously quite a large cost. Not a cost to me, though.

Let's give it a rest now, shall we.

And with that I am signing off.

apaddyinuk
22nd May 2005, 19:57
FLYBYWIRE...
I totally agree with you about the uniform...Im not British but I must admit, Im very proud to be wearing the uniform and to say that I work for BA. I have worked for my own national airline and at one time I did feel just the same but with the way its gone down to drain in recent years, I would need a shower after wearing that uniform!!!!

flybywire
23rd May 2005, 09:00
Jetsetterbfs I am so glad you finally proved your valid point. You never said you hated BA uniform, you just made your entrance with that not-so-funny sarcasm, alluding to previous discussions most of which took place in the company's private forum, and criticizing my view of BA (which, by the way, is wrong).

There's no point in going on, there's NO argument here and there has never been the need to start one, as you're happy where you are, wearing what you wear, representing the company you love so much. I am TRULY happy for you. And I am doing the same, I am happy in my company, happy to wear what I wear and very proud to represent the national airline. We should celebrate!!

Apaddyinuk....you made me laugh, that's exactly how I'd feel if I had to wear my national airline's uniform at the moment! :}
I shall see you at LHR in a couple of weeks...SEP time again....Look out for me, I will be the one from LGW wearing the famous "lesbian trousers"!!! :E
(to all the "uniform sensitive" people in this forum, I'm only joking, ok!) :}

Love

mickoa
23rd May 2005, 10:37
I would have to say the EK and AO is probably the most revolting I have ever seen.

Keep it conservative , classy and elegant.

apaddyinuk
23rd May 2005, 15:15
Flybywire...I wont be seeing you in LHR but perhaps Iv already seen you in LGW!!! lol!!!! Just did a caribean where most of the girls were in the lovely lesbo trousers! lol!!

flybywire
23rd May 2005, 20:26
Oooops!! I thought you were at LHR, I beg your pardon!
Well then I shall spot you at Jubilee, I seem to be living there lately :} in fact they even reserve a bed/couch in the quiet room for me and lesbian trousers work very well also for sleeping during stand-by's etc.
The only thing is, though, the other day I did the demo and couldn't understand why pax were laughing, I am usually a clown but not that day. Then realised my fly was open. Oh well, call it in-flight entertainment!!!! :E
Next time you're at Jubilee we should meet for a coffee (on me, I am the one who wears the trousers! ;) )

Love

tic
25th May 2005, 22:43
Gulf Air/ Gulf Traveller, c/c uniforms are hard to beat. Skirts and slax, look good and really smart. EK, could definately do better. Sand coloured uniforms with light blue shirts for the guys, is diabolical. The female uniforms are better, but not much. Not one c/c member, I have talked to is happy with the kit they have to wear.The sky is blue. The uniform, or most of it should be too!!!!

flybywire
26th May 2005, 08:39
Maybe that's the idea boyond EK uniform: light blue shirt (like the sky) and sand trousers (like the beach, or the desert). It doesn't look bad inside the aircraft, since they even have paintings of dunes etc on the walls! But I agree with you, they could at least update it a bit!!
Britannia (thomson) have chosen the same colours....smart uniform but really the two don't go that well together (I think).

Buckshot
30th May 2005, 09:36
I found a website with various pictures of cabin crew uniforms. It can be found by clickinghere (www.uniformfreak.com/indexnav/indexnav1a.html)

My vote goes to Virgin Blue. Do male FA's get a red jumper too? I've never seen one... I know they have a black overcoat instead of the red ones the girls wear...

DJ_Fly_Boi
3rd Jun 2005, 00:28
Yep - all the Males that wear the Virgin Blue Uniform - get the ugly red jumper - its not exactly a sought after fashion item amongst the boys!

Tech Crews get the Leather Bomber Style jacket.

Male Cabin Crew - The Black Overcoat and the Cream Jacket

Male Guest Services - Cream Jacket and Red 'Huskie' Jacket

Female Cabin Crew - Red Double Breasted Overcoat and Cream Trench Coat

Female Guest Services - Red Single Breasted Overcoat and Red 'Huskie' Jacket.

Pit Crew - Male and Female - get the Navy Huskie Jacket.

Cheers

flyblue
3rd Jun 2005, 21:37
We just switched to our new uniform on the 5th of April. I was not convinced at first, but now I am very, very happy about it (except about the shoes...but then we are allowed our own as long as they look similar). The materials are good (they don't crease!), and there are enough styles to choose from, so everybody's happy. Here are some of the styles, too bad there is not my fav (navy trousers and blue long sleeve t-shirt and bandanna)

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/images/etc/37185/images/uniforme_11.jpg http://www.etravelblackboard.com/images/etc/37185/images/uniforme_3.jpg http://www.etravelblackboard.com/images/etc/37185/images/uniforme_10.jpg http://www.etravelblackboard.com/images/etc/37185/images/uniforme_9.jpg http://www.etravelblackboard.com/images/etc/37185/images/uniforme_18.jpg http://www.etravelblackboard.com/images/etc/37185/images/uniforme_7.jpg http://www.etravelblackboard.com/images/etc/37185/images/uniforme_4.jpg
[/COLOR]http://www.etravelblackboard.com/images/etc/37185/images/uniforme_6.jpghttp://www.etravelblackboard.com/images/etc/37185/images/unipil.jpg

SkySista
4th Jun 2005, 03:13
Flyblue,

tres stylish!! :)

I am assuming these uniforms are French, it is a very French look, anyway.

I was not sure about the red bow but it does make it stand out.

The pic of the gentleman... very nice ;) Do you know if these are real crew or did they use models??

I like the long tunic & pants combination, looks nice and comfy.

The last two - wow!! the lady looks like a lot of guys' idea of a woman pilot - hehe, do the ladies in your company (err... pilots that is!) really wear skirts, or is it actually a chef de cabine/Purser uniform????

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

flyblue
4th Jun 2005, 13:53
SkySista, thanks :)
it is French indeed, I forgot to mention it is a Christian Lacroix creation. I was not sure about the red bow too at first, but I can assure you it looks nice on the girls (not on me though, I didn't order the dress ;) ). Some of the people used for the pics are crew, but don't know if they all are: we are 15.000 so I don't know all of them!! The pants are the ones I prefer too, but I am not using the tunic for the moment (too hot!).
Lady pilots are quite happy now, because they have 2 kind of pants and jackets and one skirt they can choose from. However, those who pick the skirt are a minority. Almost all of them use the pants: I would too if I had to be seated for long hours, plus that gives them more freedom about the choice of shoes that they can wear.
Something I am very happy about is a little bag we can attach to the leather belt when we wear the pants, which is very useful for pen, lipstick, safety papers, etc.

flybywire
4th Jun 2005, 14:21
Flyblue that is a really nice uniform!!
I have to admit though that with all different styles and colours I find it difficult to call it "uniform"....is there a reason for all the various colours? are they specific for job/grade?
I always look in amazement when I see AA crews transiting in JH, they wear all different "uniforms", trousers/dress/skirt, blue/white shirt, different shoe styles (including ankle-high/marine-style boots and sandals...!!) jackets/cardigans on/off, blue/light tights etc.
But this one I have to say is very nice indeed, the trousers version being the one i like the most. I am sure you all look stunning :ok:

Bre901
5th Jun 2005, 21:08
my fav (navy trousers and blue long sleeve t-shirt and bandanna
flew AF050 & AF347 last week, looks like it's not only your fav :ok:

Bodum
6th Jun 2005, 01:48
Just flew American last week and Air Canada. :cool:

Both have work to do on their uniforms.. The all to familiar "Dress" with no color, plain shirts with no color and the variations in uniforms. Have to say though excellent service on American, (International) not so good Air Canada. Have had great service with AC before..It happens :ok:

Still have to say, I hate my Qantas uniform but at least I have some color... a "rust" colored tie (fancy for red :p) The rest is black, the bags are black..very drab, hot to wear, crap quality, goes all shiny and falls apart and is boring...Oh and still waiting for my wings..nearly 2 years we have all been waiting now.. :uhoh:

Give me the Harry Who any day. May have reached its used by date for style, but at least it was colorful :E

And..after that rant I am still proud to work for them, nearly 11 years now :ok:

blue cheese
6th Jun 2005, 02:18
FLyblue... I love your uniform!!! So beautiful and elegant and sexy. I love it. :ok:

Mr Seatback 2
6th Jun 2005, 04:26
Oh Bodum

You SO don't appreciate what you have!

Try wearing the Jetstar get up and see how you feel. Sure, it's comfortable, but consider this:

1) Black polo shirts that turn grey (when they're meant to stay black) after a couple of washes

2) Mens blazer has contrasting FLAME ORANGE lapels. Only the ground crew wear them now. The cabin crew never do. One look says it all - 1950's Johnny Rockets.

3) Girls blazer in BRIGHT ORANGE with that built in tie belt - which none of the girls do up, so it trails behind them like a pair of tails. I'm forever chasing after them to either do them up, or tuck them away in their pockets.

See the uniform on the website - www.jetstar.com

Trust me - give me the Morrissey number any day...

EAAFA
6th Jun 2005, 05:36
Flyblue, the Lacroix uniforms for women and pilots are fabulous. I can see why you wouldn't be sure about the red bow, but it's very elegant and distinctive.

I think the men's uniform is pretty bad ( braid on sleeves, no colour, strange fur hat)

I hope Air France has introduced the new uniform for everyone at the same time, unlike some airlines which introduced new uniforms in stages so that there were new and old uniforms mixed together on the same flight.

Bodum, I can\'t believe you miss the old Qantas uniform. It was dated when it was introduced!

I especially hated the double breasted jacket with gold buttons. Very unflattering: it made the slimmest f/a-s look as if they had paunches.

I have only two complaints about the new uniform:
1. The shade of brown used as the base of the print for mainline is too dull.
2. The quality of the fabrics. The threads come out of the printed fabric. The suiting loses its shape and has terrible pilling(balls of fluff forming on the surface). The shirting is too dense in weave for hot climates.:ugh:

BusyB
10th Nov 2005, 00:33
Just flown pax with BA with crew wearing the new uniforms and have to say I am disappointed. Whilst being smart there is no discernible identity so it could be representing any number of airlines. Perhaps thats the intent!

MIRRIAM
10th Nov 2005, 15:23
THE worst uniform i have ever seen is QR,its like army crew ,but the hat is nice though:{

apaddyinuk
10th Nov 2005, 21:07
BusyB.
Perhaps I have a slightly biased opinion but a dark navy PINstriped suit....how british can you get????

EAAFA
10th Nov 2005, 22:39
Very true Paddy. Even if it were not so, I'd rather wear a smart uniform than a national costume or something with logos all over it. I'm very grateful to Peter Morrisey for not choosing a kangaroo print for the Qantas uniform.
If I worked for BA I'd love wearing the new uniform. It's one of the best uniforms around.

wa.man
10th Nov 2005, 23:45
The 80,s Emilio Pucci dress the girls on Qantas Long Haul used to wear is right up there with the best [ if anyone can remember that far back ] Australian wild flowers, very green and orange. No ironing, red wine could be just wiped off it. Dont know what it was made of but Im sure it would have melted if you put a match to it!! Great in a fire!!

pinkstar83
11th Nov 2005, 21:55
I love the new Korean air uniform although it looks uncomfortable to work in since it's too tight and light colored
It still looks gorgeous!
http://pds10.cafe.daum.net/download.php?grpid=1Gev&fldid=D&dataid=930&fileid=1&regdt=20050703153820&disk=7&grpcode=cabincrew&dncnt=N&.jpg

EAAFA
12th Nov 2005, 09:23
Thanks BC. This is the first I've heard of the cotton shirts, and can't wait to get mine replaced. Just goes to show how QFlink is not kept informed.:ugh:

heatthepots
13th Nov 2005, 02:31
methinks a paddyinuk and others who are slagging off their previous company uniforms were ejected from the national carrier rather then choosing to jump. i wonder what their feelings are now that willy wonka is once again at the helm. i agree that the uniform is uninspiring but despite the bold willies attempts to denigrate the company name, some of us have pride in what we do

Karenmarie
13th Nov 2005, 04:46
I really, really, really like Royal Brunei's uniform. It's really pretty, flattering fit and looks comfortable too.

this is the only pic I could find, they weren't wearing the hats/scarves last time I flew with them though.

http://www.bruneiair.com/aboutus/career.asp

trollies_r_go
13th Nov 2005, 06:43
Hey question for those that wear the pants (guys), how does everyone keep there morrisey trousers wrinkle free at the red roo? I mean after 4 sectors they look ****e, all wrinkled, yet you iron them and you can see your reflection in them, I mean does ol' pete expect us to dry clean them after every day of work? I like the uniform, just wondering with mainline, can you just wear the shirt or what as a guy? I flew on a 763 the other day, and they were all blokes, and about 4 just had the shirt and no vest, man we get a warning if we don't wear atleast the vest, of course its fine if the APU is U/S, but its interesting the rules through the division. later

OZcabincrew
13th Nov 2005, 14:50
Those crew that you saw on the 763 should have been wearing their vests or jackets and if not should've been told to put their vest or jacket back on, but sometimes the CSM (manager) is just as bad as the slobby crew. There are a lot of people out there who go against what the "rules" are purely just to go against the rules. There are also a lot of people which are "thermally challenged" and are allowed to work in the shirt only, but only on presentation of a doctors certificate confirming this.

Basically, you HAVE to wear either the vest or jacket during the service, just the shirt is not good enough. On international sectors you have to wear either the jacket or after takeoff change into the serving jacket and then back into the normal jacket for landing. I think in summer, domestically you don't have to wear the jacket all of the time etc, vest only is fine.

Just something to think about. Next duty have a look at the people you're working with, hopefully most have made the effort to look like we're supposed to, something of which you sign as part of your contract. If everyone's spot on with their uniform and grooming and yet one person isn't, that one person brings down the look of the whole crew. Don't be that one person. It's really not that hard.

Oz

Thomas_Cook_757-300
13th Nov 2005, 16:04
Hi,

I think the new MyTravel Airways Uniform is very smart and professional:

http://www.mytravelairways-recruitment.com/cabin_crew/images/image1.gifhttp://www.mytravelairways-recruitment.com/cabin_crew/images/image3.gif

http://www.mytravelairways-recruitment.com/cabin_crew/images/image4.gifhttp://www.mytravelairways-recruitment.com/cabin_crew/images/image2.gif

Thanks
Thomas_Cook_757-300

OZcabincrew
14th Nov 2005, 02:31
it looks ok, i don't think though the hats would suit all the girls. The Ansett hats were nice i thought, very smart.

EAAFA
14th Nov 2005, 09:41
trollies_r_go,

If your trousers really need a press, wet a cotton cloth (eg tea towel), wring it out and lay it flat onto the fabric, then place the iron onto the cloth. This helps in avoiding the 'mirror' effect. The moisture also helps to shrink the fabric back into shape.

An iron should never be placed directly onto woolen fabrics.:ok:

You could also try hanging your uniform in the bathroom while you take a hot shower. The steam does wonders.

OZcabincrew
14th Nov 2005, 15:56
I do exactly what EAAFA said if my pants need pressing. I usually get my uniform dry cleaned once a week or so.

lfdlfp
13th Dec 2005, 08:51
I'm often tempted to have my uniform dry cleaned once a week (this job can be pretty grubby), but the chemicals used in dry cleaning wear on the fabrics too much. Once a month is sufficient.

A300Man-2005
13th Dec 2005, 09:55
The Yemenia uniform is beautiful.

faultygoods
17th Dec 2005, 10:52
I had a (ex)boyfriend who rubbed soap on the inside of the crease and used brown paper, not a wet cloth, to press his trousers. With a very good result. However as regards to uniforms, a skirt is definately preferable, more femamine although trousers are more practical. But a skirt, stockings and silk underwear, yesssssss

EmmaB
17th Dec 2005, 20:40
I know what you mean Faultygoods, it's about feeling good about yourself, isn't it? Trousers are just functional, nothing more. In a skirt, sheer stockings, sussies and nice undies I feel like a lady... ;)

Rescue 137
17th Dec 2005, 23:21
"it's about feeling good about yourself, isn't it? Trousers are just functional, nothing more. In a skirt, sheer stockings, sussies and nice undies I feel like a lady... "

Agree with that.Some women can feel good in trousers and some cant.The problem is that we dont get to see that you are wearing sussies and nice undies unless you arent wearing the skirt.Although the idea of a 6ft Blonde Virgin wearing all that stuff beats the same image of her in trousers.Trousers work for certain uniforms and not for others.

EmmaB
18th Dec 2005, 00:24
>>The problem is that we dont get to see that you are wearing sussies and nice undies unless you arent wearing the skirt.<<

That's true, though it's good to leave something to the imagination ;) . At least skirts flatter most female figures and give a flash of leg though...

Rescue 137
18th Dec 2005, 11:06
>>The problem is that we dont get to see that you are wearing sussies and nice undies unless you arent wearing the skirt.<<

That's true, though it's good to leave something to the imagination . At least skirts flatter most female figures and give a flash of leg though...

Agree on that.Trousers leave something to the imagination.Aside from CC uniforms-There is plenty of women walking around in Trousers(smart business trousers) and Jeans.Do these women look any less sexy in these as opposed to a skirt-not too me.

Some women look good in anything whether it be a skirt,trousers or whatever and some women can feel good in anything.I think Trousers only look good in a Dark coloured uniform which is why the BA one's look good.However I dont think Virgin or BMI CC could pull off the trousers as Virgin is red so red trousers:E and as BMI is my favourite uniform then I think CC and GS should remain as Skirt and Op's as trousers as that way it identifies the roles.

Just thought what do Female Virgin Aircraft Dispatchers Wear? Is it trousers or Skirts like the CC/GS?

speeddial
19th Dec 2005, 12:41
Giving the Virgin CC girls seemed to be only the start of their uniform fun when I flew last, its amazing how they can wear it to be even more pleasing on the eye, obviously a 27 year old like me wouldn't know where to look in certain situations :)

KiloMIke
19th Dec 2005, 13:39
The Lady VS Turnaround Coordinators wear black trousers and a white blouse.

Rescue 137
19th Dec 2005, 23:50
"The Lady VS Turnaround Coordinators wear black trousers and a white blouse"

Cheers for that.Just reinforces my agrument that BMI dispatchers should wear Trousers.Also that Trousers work if they are Black or Dark Blue in a uniform.

agent x
20th Dec 2005, 13:35
BMI dispatch pants are hideous...just ask any of the female dispatchers how flattering they think they are! Theres enuf room in them for 2 people! Couple them with those delicious flat granny shoes....:yuk:

Agent x:ok:

EmmaB
20th Dec 2005, 16:44
I agree with agent x. I bet most BMI dispatchers would give their right arms to be allowed to wear skirts, chilly legs or not.

goofy76
20th Dec 2005, 18:43
Do you think Emirates will get new uniforms in the near future?

Unfortunately we're not getting a completely new uniform but there will be a few changes made here and there. Should be slowly implemented from feb onwards.

The colours will never change!

Rescue 137
20th Dec 2005, 23:52
"I agree with agent x. I bet most BMI dispatchers would give their right arms to be allowed to wear skirts, chilly legs or not."

Next time I see one I'll ask them:) Im going to ring my friend tomorrow to wish her Merry Christmas and she use to be a BMI dispatcher.She worked for BMI when the skirt was an option and also when they introduced the trousers.She now works for BMI Baby as a 1st Officer having qualified for her CPL this year and has been flying with Baby since May 05.

It will be abit strange,I can see it now"Hi,How are you? When you were a dispatcher for BMI did you rather prefer wearing the Trousers or Skirt?" I think she would say the trousers as I cant ever remember seeing her wearing the Skirt when at work.

The trousers arent that bad unless they have changed them since 2002.Im sure alot of BMI dont see them as flattering,but they are flexible and allow them to move easily something that those tight skirts didnt.Just to keep people happy why not give people the option then those that want to wear Trousers can and those that want to wear a skirt and Stockings can and its the best of both worlds for people like me.One thing though-if they wear the skirt and stockings option then they have to wear the hat as well :E I bet alot of them then would rather wear trousers than the hat:E :) (I personally like the Hat as well:E ) but I think I mentioned that one or twice before already:E

KiloMIke
21st Dec 2005, 16:25
Most of the female Dispatchers I have know would rather wear trousers no matter how horrid they are. A skirt is not very practical on the ramp!

surely not
22nd Dec 2005, 21:35
Over in Africa the Virgin Nigeria uniform is excellent. Very stylish for both the girls and boys, though I have heard some grumbles about the quality of the cloth.

brian_dromey
23rd Dec 2005, 13:39
As a passenger, I am of the opinion that the BA uniform is a classic, and suits BA down to the gorund, indeed the SQ uniform is probabily the nicest and most flattering of any uniform.

However the FCA uniform is the most hedious, unflattering, Garish and disgustuing uniform of any airline. It makes any woman who is anything larger than a size 10 look like a pregnant hippo, it just falls off the body and looks apalling, as for the colour... oh dear!

The EI uniform is certainly a symbol of the airline, comming form the period when everything was treated to an attractice moss green hue. Louise Kennedy descirded the uniforms as "aqua-marine", while the color itself is quite attractive, the cut is not, now if EI could get a hold of the thomas cook uniform and die them "aqua-marine".... stylish attractive and well fitting!

Rescue 137
23rd Dec 2005, 16:25
Well I saw something earlier that I didnt think I would ever see and that was a BMI CSA in Trousers.She was definately a CSA as she had the full works on.The Hat,Gloves,Blazer,Handbag and Trousers On!!!!! They werent Dispatcher trousers either as I know the difference.Having just come from T1 where they were all wearing the usual then I ran across this CSA outside the Queens Building waiting for a bus on my way to the Bus Station.I must say that it looked Horrible with Trousers and I love the BMI uniform.If that is what trousers looks like with the BMI uniform for Ground Staff/Cabin Crew then I would definately be against any change of the current uniform to include trousers.I must admit it wasnt anywhere as nice looking/glamourous or sexy as the skirt option.1st time Ive ever seen it with trousers like that and I have to say I didnt like it at all.I see what everybody has been going about now but I still think the dispatcher one's are fine unless they have changed them as well.

Have to say the BA ones still look ok though but prefer the skirt

EmmaB
23rd Dec 2005, 17:46
>>Well I saw something earlier that I didnt think I would ever see and that was a BMI CSA in Trousers.She was definately a CSA as she had the full works on.The Hat,Gloves,Blazer,Handbag and Trousers On!!!!! They werent Dispatcher trousers either as I know the difference.Having just come from T1 where they were all wearing the usual then I ran across this CSA outside the Queens Building waiting for a bus on my way to the Bus Station.I must say that it looked Horrible with Trousers and I love the BMI uniform.If that is what trousers looks like with the BMI uniform for Ground Staff/Cabin Crew then I would definately be against any change of the current uniform to include trousers.I must admit it wasnt anywhere as nice looking/glamourous or sexy as the skirt option.1st time Ive ever seen it with trousers like that and I have to say I didnt like it at all.<<

I don't think BMI CSI's are allowed to wear trousers (girls, that is - LOL) or any customer-facing staff for that matter. So hopefully it was a one-off such as a new member of staff who hadn't yet received the skirts so was wearing her own trousers. Either that or maybe she has some cosmetic/medical problem with her legs so has been given temporary permission.

Rescue 137
23rd Dec 2005, 20:25
"I don't think BMI CSI's are allowed to wear trousers (girls, that is - LOL) or any customer-facing staff for that matter. So hopefully it was a one-off such as a new member of staff who hadn't yet received the skirts so was wearing her own trousers. Either that or maybe she has some cosmetic/medical problem with her legs so has been given temporary permission."

Yet thats what I thought? Ive never seen it before.The trousers was excatly the same material as the jacket.Never seen it before and Emma you are right it didnt have the glamour or sexyness of the normal CC/CSA uniform.

Sometimes you just need to see what itlooks like to see it works and dispatcher trousers do but not CC/CSA trousers.

Thanks for trying to talk some sense into me Emma :)

hart744
26th Dec 2005, 13:56
My better half works for AF and she loves her new uniform. It is very stylilsh and the quality is very good. The red bow is very useful when she tied that to herself (in birthsuit) and gave as my Christmas present. ;)

The AF male pilot uniform is very close to LH's except they have their wings on the right breast, thinner stripes with a loop and gold button. At LH, most female pilot wear pants as it is more convenient. Don't forget there is a control wheel between the legs on the Boeing.