PDA

View Full Version : QF pilot instrumental in removing Super Surcharge/Tax

bonvol
17th May 2005, 04:50
I won't name him here but we all know who he is.

All workers affected by this iniquitous tax should be very grateful for the tireless efforts of this individual in removing it. Despite the active opposition of AIPA he never gave up and after a long campaign finally achieved what many thought was impossible.

It's another indictment on AIPA that they denigrated his efforts and continue to ignore him.

Well done hardly seems adequate and its a great shame that a person of his calibre is not our president.

Capn Bloggs
17th May 2005, 05:09
Bonvol,
If this is indeed the case, could you please pass on the thanks of those not in QF and don't know this individual. Now we just have to stop Beazley from stealing more from the "rich" to give to the "poor".

bonvol
17th May 2005, 06:06
Well, I see it's in the public domain now. Good.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Superannuation/How-a-Qantas-pilot-torpedoed-the-super-surcharge/2005/05/13/1115843370145.html?oneclick=true

Capn Bloggs
17th May 2005, 07:17
Try this link. (http://theage.com.au/articles/2005/05/13/1115843370145.html?oneclick=true)

fmcinop
17th May 2005, 11:01
The Superannuation Tax Surcharge effects a lot of people not just airline pilots. While the efforts of the person you are talking about it commendable, it should be pointed out that there has been a lot of work and effort put in by numerous organisations and individuals throughout Australia to have the surcharge removed. To suggest that the Surcharge rollback was implemented because of the actions of one Qantas pilot is a little rich. I do know who you are talking about and do have great respect for him, but even his own literature would have you believe SOS were the only organization fighting the fight.

Agent Mulder
17th May 2005, 11:13
How dare you attack the Messiah!

DirectAnywhere
17th May 2005, 20:12
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy...just ask you know who!;)

VH-TEACH
17th May 2005, 23:27
Just another point to add:

Surcharge Legislation still exists and has not been abolished !

The Surcharge tax rate exists at a rate of 0%.

However, all superannuation funds will still be reporting all contributions to the ATO. I think there will be scope for the government to increase the rate if they choose to. :E

Going Boeing
18th May 2005, 00:25
fmcinop

The gentleman concerned was the first in Australia to work through the long term effects of the surcharge tax and when he came up with a horrendous outcome for those in the surcharge tax bracket, he then sought opinion from Superannuation Tax experts. When he initially outlines his interpretation and conclusions to these experts, they said that they thought his conclusions were incorrect but they would investigate further. The investigations found that he was indeed correct and there was potential for superannuation investments being nearly wiped out. This sent shock waves through the Superannuation industry and there was a number of newpaper articles on the subject especially in the financial times as these people wanted to alert everyone as to the seriousness of the issue.

He then wanted to co-ordinate the efforts to fight this unfair tax so he formed S.O.S. (Society of Superannuants) which involved all the organisations and individuals that you refer to. The latest backflip by the government is as a result of the ongoing efforts of S.O.S. and all of its members.

He deserves all the kudos that the press and many individuals on this and other forums have been giving him. :ok:

fmcinop
18th May 2005, 01:06
Hate to tell you this Going Boeing, but SOS were not the only organisation fighting this tax. Other organisations that have nothing to do with SOS have also been fighting. I am not trying to invalidate the hard work that GW has put into the fight but the original post and much of SOS's own literature suggests that they are the only people in all of Australia fighting this fight. That is quite simply not true.

The entire Financial Planning Industry has been fighting this since it was introduced by the Liberal Government in 1996. The rate currently at 12.5% was scheduled to drop to10.5% in July. The Labour government a staunch opponent to any further reduction in the tax was going to fight any further decreases. Government documentation shows that the cost of collecting the tax was almost the same as the revenue it earned. By abolishing the tax altogether (the rate has not just been reset to 0% it has been fully abolished) it effectivley allows the Liberal Government the power to act without the approval of Labour.

An entire industry has been fighting this since 1996. We in the aviation community are but a small part of the world. Do any of you honestly think that the rest of Australia including the entire Financial industry would just sit back relax and enjoy the flight. They have all been lobbying the Government from day one.

speeeedy
18th May 2005, 02:22
fmcinop,

The title of this thread is:

"QF pilot instrumental in removing Super Surcharge/Tax"

Please note the word 'Instrumental'.

This only means he was a feature in its removal, and that is beyond doubt. It does not suggest that this QF pilot is the only one who had anything to do with the removal of the surcharge. Indeed he had nothing to do with the actual removal, that is the government (Thanks L'il Johnny and Pete, even though you are the buggers that brought it in, at least you've fixed it).

The fact that many financial planners/accountants etc and taxpayers themselves were p%$#ed off about it is also beyond doubt. But I think this whole thread is to highlight that for one individual to put in so much work to point out to all (particularly the media) the inequities of this thing is a feat to be commended.

For IW it started as a fight against the way the surcharge affected Defined Benefit schemes, because it was he that first brought it to public attention that, theoretically at least, you could end up with less super then the debt left by the surcharge. DB's only apply to a relatively small percentage of superannuants, and his voice was critically important from that perspective.

Of course since then SOS was formed and it widened its campaign from there to cover the general inequities of the surcharge on all superannuants. This is a fight which was already under way by many organisations and individuals, of which you speak. I think its fair to say that the inconceivable and unacceptable nature of the affect of the surcharge on DB's was a major feature of the battle, and therefore it is also fair to say that he (and SOS) was INSTRUMENTAL in its removal.

So, credit where credit is due. Good on ya IW.

PS: fmcinop, You're not a member of the AIPA Com are you? You seem to have the same inability to just simply say thanks for an individuals efforts. And like someone said to AIPA, if you tell me the names of the others who were instrumental I will have no hesitation in thanking them as well!

fmcinop
18th May 2005, 03:45
Speed, we are not just talking about financial planners/accountants having a go, we are talking about multi million dollar financial institutions ie AXA, AMP, Collonial etc fighting and providing legal argument in support for the Surcharge removal. To suggest that the efforts of one individual and lets face it one very small organisation comparatively speaking has changed the entire face of superannuation is nothing short of ridiculous. I don’t think that lobbying by any group played a part.

He was also not the first to bring it to the publics attention. Where the hell do you guys get this information from.

I know how much work SOS and IW has done. But that is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of the entire financial institutions of Australia.
I have spoken the IW on numerous occasions about the work of SOS.
The original post quite clearly indicated that it was the efforts of IW and SOS that resulted in the removal of the Surcharge.

”All workers affected by this iniquitous tax should be very grateful for the tireless efforts of this individual in removing it. Despite the active opposition of AIPA he never gave up and after a long campaign finally achieved what many thought was impossible. “

Now this suggests that everyone who was subject to the tax should thank him. Where does it indicate that other were involved? It quite clearly states “he never gave up and finally achieved what many thought impossible”. This again suggesting it was he and he alone who succeeded in its removal.

NO I am not a member of AIPA and I don’t fly for Quaintass, but I have always taken an active interest in my superannuation and the Surcharge.

He stuck is neck out and stood up to be counted. He battled and fought and worked tirelessly for what he believes in. For that I salute him.

My issue here is that this is greater than you, me, Pilots, Aviation and SOS. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

surfside6
18th May 2005, 09:06
Someone`s been drinking (sniffing?)Kerosene again