PDA

View Full Version : So...Who else got the Sober Virus?

Atlas Shrugged
17th May 2005, 04:33
Got a surprise this morning when I opened my email inbox - 432 emails from Germans I don't know which I have seemingly replicated to at least twice as many more people I don't know in places I've never heard of.

Just in case you get it, the removal tool from Symantec is here. Seems to have worked so far:

W32.Sober Removal Tools (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sober.removal.tool.html)

A

Caslance
17th May 2005, 06:30
Hmmm..... I've been getting e-mails from unknown Germans, too. :ooh:

Grainger
17th May 2005, 06:36
Hey AS - sounds like it's time you got Mozilla...

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

MadsDad
17th May 2005, 07:48
Caslance. Ditto (only a couple though. And they were deleted, unread).

Grainger. And that is using Thunderbird.

Gouabafla
17th May 2005, 07:54
Just because you got lots of emails, it doesn't have to mean that you've got the virus. It does mean, however, that people you know have it.

Like many other viruses this one sends out emails to the addresses stored on the infected computer, so you can end up receiving lots of emails just because you know someone who's computer is infected. What is worse, it also chooses one of the email addresses on the infected computer to use as the 'from' address in the emails it sends out. So people all round the world may well get infected emails, purporting to come from you even though your computer is clean as a whistle.

If a computer is sending out emails in your name, there are ways to check out where in the world it resides but there is not much you can do about it other than write to the ISP and complain.

Edited to include the following from Woody's Email Watch:

First a German Pope and now our Inboxes are being infested with German language emails? Is this part of a new Germanic conspiracy? What’s causing all these messages? Is there anything to worry about? What can you do about them?

The messages (which are not all in German) are an interesting offshoot of the Sober P worm that spread around the world earlier (the one that had messages about World Cup tickets).

The new messages do not contain any infectious attachments and are not dangerous in themselves. You can’t be infected by opening or reading these messages.

Mind you the message content is offensive to most people – it is right-wing propaganda and links. When we say ‘right wing’ we don’t mean Republican/Tory right – we mean Nazi right wing. One message suggests that the allies should be tried for war crimes.

And no – it’s not part of a new Germanic conspiracy. Just a few twisted people – it’s not clear if the makers of the worm are extreme right-wing believers or just using that sickening dogma to gain notoriety.

Onan the Clumsy
17th May 2005, 12:05
If a computer is sending out emails in your name, there are ways to check out where in the world it resides but there is not much you can do about it other than write to the ISP and complain. I suppose you could always send them an email.

steamchicken
17th May 2005, 13:31
I've been getting the Nazi spam and also lefty German spam too - at least it's a bipartisan worm

Capt.KAOS
17th May 2005, 13:44
It's too late when you have to remove the Sober virus, which is around for ages already btw.

Use Anti-Virus software like Norton and keep it updated (every day!).

Got a number of German emails this weekend also which were screened already by the anti-virus software.