PDA

View Full Version : Manston Gets ATIS

Flap42
16th May 2005, 20:18
Manston Airport at last has ATIS (Advanced Transcontinental Intermet Service). This is the first known installation ever in Kent of this remote access met self briefing service. I am told you will be able to listen to a met broadcast from the air without having to talk to anyone. It will have its own special frequency and when selected provides the flight crew with data like runway in use, QNH, cloud base and Viz! I look forward to trying out the new service.

Does anyone know of any special training requirements to use the service? For example a sim check or CAA licence fee? Will I need an additional rating on my RT licence to use the service?
;)

outofsynch
16th May 2005, 20:30
Flap 42 ... you cant be for real....
And sadly, I cant see the joke.................................?

bigfokker
16th May 2005, 20:38
Yes Flap 42 you will need to do the hi tech ATIS PUTER INTERCONTINENTEL Course, you can maybe try Oxford aviation or BFC ( Bristol) for these courses.
The three week live in course will set you back around £2000, but worth every penny.
Good luck mate and happy ATISES
Love FOK
:ok:

Flap42
16th May 2005, 21:00
Thanks Big,Fokker for the information, since last post have found out some more operating restrictions for the new ATIS system, it will be a Captains only service, you must have 3000 total Hrs total time VHF and 500 P1 VHF and have a JAR rating. Pilots with non UK licence can convert but they must have a total of 5000 Hrs VHF and 500 in the last 3 years. It’s a bit of a shame because I only have about 2000 Hrs VHF at the moment so looking at another year and a half before I will be ATIS rated. One of our pilots told me that the other day one of the controllers told him in the Jolly Farmer that anyone found to be using the new ATIS system without licence endorsement will be liable for a fine of up to £1500 and a VHF ban for up to one year.

Again it’s the old chicken and egg situation you want to get some ATIS experience but you can’t get any because you don’t have the total VHF time and so it goes on….
When will the CAA realise that most people are probably ready to listen to their first ATIS at about the 1000 Hr VHF point?!

Another interesting point about the new ATIS service at Manston is that each transmitted bit of data will be followed by a statement of the surface wind, all done in the style of an international darts scorer!

Meeb
17th May 2005, 16:40
Flap42, you need to get out more... :rolleyes:

Richard Taylor
17th May 2005, 16:44
"...surface wind ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY DEGREES..."

(i'll get me darts & leave...)

The Real Slim Shady
17th May 2005, 20:53
Instead of using "Few Cloudy" will it utilise Estuary English?

Loadsa clouds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VIKING9
18th May 2005, 05:49
:( who will be listening to the ATIS though :confused: Hardly a busy airport is it :uhoh:

squibbler
18th May 2005, 09:16
who will be listening to the ATIS though

Hopefully all those naughty pilots who (a long way out) call up Manston App for the Wx on 126.35 and wonder why they hear an irate EGGP controller telling them to bugger off our TWR frequency! ;)

My favourite:

"Manston App this is XXXXX, requesting your latest wx"

30 seconds later

"Ok thanks for that Manston, we'll be with you in about 20 mins, we're currently...errr....I'd better not say where we are"

"No, you'd better not admit it, but I think you're a lot closer to us than you are to them!"

"Sorry, who is this?"

"Liverpool Tower, 126.35, waiting for you to get off my frequency so I can clear the aircraft at the holding point for take off"

"Oops, busted! Sorry Liverpool"

ATIS at last, perhaps the Bearded One is having an effect!!:}