PDA

View Full Version : Importance of UK CAA issuing JAA licences?

Hopeful Pilot
16th May 2005, 17:46
I’ve heard in a number of threads people stressing they wanted their JAA licence issued by the UK CAA. Considering that the JAA licence is universal in all JAA states why does it matter if the UK CAA issues it? I ask this because I’m converting my Canadian ICAO licence to the JAA and I would like to do it in Sweden as that is where I’m currently living, but now I’m wondering if I should do it in the UK?

Any comments?

redsnail
16th May 2005, 19:31
Biggest deal is that for some employers their TRI/TREs can only sign off UK CAA JAA licenses. Why? I have no idea. If you have a fully compliant JAA license issued by eg Sweden and you came to work for eg easyJet and they said you need a CAA JAA ATPL, then it's no big deal to get the paper work shifted across. It just costs money....

Hopeful Pilot
16th May 2005, 19:42
Thanks for that redsnail. Do what is involved in the process of changing from say a Swedish JAA licence to a UK-CAA licence? or maybe an approximate cost?

tasleon
20th May 2005, 10:24
Hopeful Pilot,

I have completed my conversion from FAA - JAA groundschool in UK with BristolGS and the flights in Greece. All you need to obtain a UK JAR license is to complete a change of state application form, attach the fee to it (its no big amount check CAA website for an exact amount- just paperwork) and send it to the CAA.

If your looking for a school for the flight training portion let me know and i can get you a greate price with a school in Greece (the one i attended). Just as a basic guideline UK schools cost from 12000 - 17000 euros. In Greece you can get the same training for approx 7000 euros all in aircraft - no sim and change your Greek JAR license (Greece is JAR FCL 1 approved) to a UK or other with a change of state applications form to the CAA of your choice.

Hope this helps

Leon

DUAL RATED
20th May 2005, 14:25
Im in the process of converting my FAA ATPL with GV type rating to UK JAA ATPL. (2 more exams to go) have more than the 1500hrs on jets and 500 on type, so i can take it on the gv type in the sim without a TRTO course, but there are no GV sims in the UK and from what i understand the test has to be done with a CAA flight Operations Training inspector which you dont find in dubai or in savannah where the sims are!!

I know they have a Swiss/jaa examiner in Dubai, so do you think i could do the same options as what you did with the greek thing but on the GV in Dubai then switch over does that make sense?

The other option that maybe open to me is to do it in a light twin in the uk, or maybe this Greek option.

Anyone else in the same position, with what to do with the flight test