PDA

View Full Version : Bmi Abz-lhr

Ed Set
16th May 2005, 17:33
Can anyone "in the know" explain why BMI have replaced several of the Airbus services with the smaller E145'?
I thought that this route was doing well-especially the "Red Eye".
Also any news of bmi baby to Manch?

:confused:

shortcut_approved
17th May 2005, 06:46
Hi,

From what I've heard the sale of the bmi Fokkers went through faster than anticipated. Dedicated A319 for the LBA-LHR runs not delivered yet, Fokker crews not converted yet, with the result of there being a shortfall. The bmi regional ERJ-145s have been filling in the gaps and rotating the routes from their various bases.

Also, at the weekends LHR becomes a temporary home for the ERJs, releasing the bigger Airbus machines to fly lucrative charter flights.

Cheers,
Shortcut

Richard Taylor
17th May 2005, 12:00
You can either be worried that BMI have reduced capacity on the LHR run,or be relieved that they are maintaining frequency,albeit with the Embraers.

I also thought their loads had picked up,but are they not in danger of seeing pax drift over to BA & the comfort of the A319/20(if "comfort" is the right word?)

I know it's common over the weekend on the LHR domestic routes to have the EMBs operate instead to the 'Buses,but during the week?

Out of the 5 rotations,3 are with the EMB,only BMI672/3 & 678/9 are currently A319/20.

jamesbrownontheroad
18th May 2005, 20:23
A shortfall of A319 airframes and crews doesn't seem to be stopping some interesting cross-over work. I'm convinced that as I queued to board a WW 737 at MAN (headed for BFS) late on Sunday afternoon, I saw the last WW passengers for Alicante getting on board a BMI A319. Did I imagine it?

*j*

Little Blue
19th May 2005, 06:19
Yes....you did....it was a 320 !
Been doing some work for baby after some of the "older" 300's went back.
Flying for mainline, again, now.
;)

U R NumberOne
21st May 2005, 08:58
I had heard that is was just a stop gap measure for a few weeks due to Airbus unavailability.

sevenforeseven
21st May 2005, 18:05
All this boils down to is the SHAMBLES that BMI are famous for.
"barrow boy" management, overworked staff, low moral.etc, etc, etc

I.C.Nosignal
21st May 2005, 18:46
sevenfourseven is it possible that you are connected with that other well known bmi basher acbus1? surely not!!, I think you may find this is somthing to do with the delayed delivery from Airbus of the latest new A319

Little Blue
21st May 2005, 18:48
Well, another informed and intelligent viewpoint from another ex-employee.
Read the above posts and digest the reasons given.
Utilisation of all possible resources to avoid having to sub...
I would call that sensible practices, still, maybe I'd be better off helping the boys push the barrow, than dare to make informed suggestions.
:rolleyes:

sevenforeseven
21st May 2005, 22:02
I.C NOSIGNAL, I have flown a/c for British Midland (not BMI) to be exact ATP and DC-9 and with a great sigh of relief i managed to leave.
To be honest, I have never in my life made a better move.
I now fly for the airline with a red tail and a logo with vir##n on the tail. Never agian in my life will I work for a airline with a blue tail and like I say run by a bunch of BARROW BOYS from "UP" NORTH.
GOODBYE

Little Blue
21st May 2005, 22:16
Each to their own..I, actually, have enjoyed my 17 years at Midland
but, I don't see why current events within MY employers should have owt to do with you, unless you still have an axe to grind.
I don't concern myself with events back at my old workplace (Not that I give a damn about Tesco' latest advertising campaign !)
Out with the anger...in with the....etc etc....right, back to the flight plans !

;)

.Glad to see that working for Bransons lot hasn't affected your inability to spell or form correct sentences.
Yours, pedantically
A barrow monkey !

I.C.Nosignal
21st May 2005, 23:13
I too go back to BMA days, and was around in the 707/Viscount era, I should think there were quite a few "sighs of relief" when you departed, its funny that the only people who seem to have it in for bmi are those who no longer work for the company. You probably would not be where you are now if it wasn`t for the time you served with bmi, hours building, so show a little more gratitude old chap there`s a good fellow. By the way Barrow boys are usually great survivors in cut throat markets, after all thats how Richard Branson started off !!:ok:

Richard Taylor
22nd May 2005, 08:50
What does the future hold for the route for BMI?

Was reading on A.nother forum(not always noted for its accuracy!!)that BMI's new strategy,from Aug 1(amongst various proposals)involved focusing more on long-haul from LHR,which possibly included freeing up domestic LHR slots to operate long-haul as/when aircraft were delivered.

ABZ is currently 5xdaily M-F(4 at weekends).Could any of these rotations be at risk?

How are loads in general on the route...did it justify BMI's decision to launch the route in 2004?