PDA

View Full Version : Help.. I need a job

ollycopter
16th May 2005, 13:15
I finished my ATPL in February and have been sitting around researching jobs and waiting for my licence to be issued. It is now May, the licence is due anyday (admin problems at the school) and I have no leads whatsoever. Someone please tell me if a guy with 85% ground school average with 2 resits, first time passes in all flight tests and a partial pass in the IR has any chance in this industry? Am starting to get the post IR blues. Also, whats the latest employment news? Any rumours I may have missed? Cheers guys, happy flying.

TurboJ
16th May 2005, 15:30
No chance.....not the way I have seen you fly a B737-400 !! Glad it was a sim and not the real thing !!

TJ

Rio Tropical
17th May 2005, 10:00
I have been out well over two yrs. Got good grades etc. have done further courses also. Been through 3 airline selections passed them all. Holding pools ................You begin to wonder will it ever happen? I am still getting positive responses even though I haven't got the hrs. So don't give up and keep your theory going [v.important] as well as trying to get flying jobs. Good Luck - [we all need some.]

Rio -

PS A friend recently got a jet position after 4 yrs out !!!;)

Bluebaron
17th May 2005, 10:24
took me 5 years from your posn to RHS on 757. 2 years of thinking a job would be alond anytime and then 3 years instructing after realising a job wasn't in sight.

It would have been 3 1/2 years if not for Sept 11th but still i reckon the average time to employment (airline) is 2 years.

Keep your chin up your flying current and the CV's printing.

BB :hmm:

ollycopter
17th May 2005, 11:34
Hey thanks guys. Its good to hear people with stories like that. Reminds me there are no short cuts. Its only been a couple of months but the dead ends are around every corner at the moment.. Still, plenty of time yet.. Cheers.:D

spaceman1000
18th May 2005, 13:19
got airline job offer, turned me down due to 9/11.
now I have waited for 3-4 years,and still nothing.

I think things will change only after years 2007-2008.
do something else...gigolo or whatever!!!

silverknapper
18th May 2005, 15:34
Stick in there. Things are moving, masses of instructors are being hired by airlines. But there isn't an endless supply of instructors.
Low hours guys are getting jobs, it's just still not that common. Get out there and meet people. Don't be static. Have you flown since you passed the IR? I know it's impossible money wise but it helps massively. Also try and do a sim session a month to stay current. When an interview comes, and it will, these are all things which help massively.
Have you thought about instructing?

niknak
18th May 2005, 23:17
Concur with Silvernapper, my sources inform me that Captains with turbo fleet regional airlines in Europe are now moving onto the bigger airlines, having attained the requisite turbine hours.
F/Os are being promoted to lofty Captain status, which gives you guys a chance.

It may seem an obvious thing to say, but keep your CVs going every 3 - 4 months, even if you dont get a reply, be persistant, be a pain in the arse and maybe you'll get somewhere!

Good luck :ok:

ollycopter
19th May 2005, 08:55
Cheers guys, first thing I am doing is going to Portugal... Cheaper flying and better weather. May nab a banner flying job at the same time. If, after the summer I am still no where job wise I shall look into instructor rating. Am feeling much more positive today. Thanks to you all.. except TurboJ, I never taxied onto the grass in the 737 sim:O Was fun though. Laters

ABO944
19th May 2005, 13:50
Hey Ollycopter

May I ask where you are going in Portugal to do the flying??

Thanks

ABO

ollycopter
20th May 2005, 10:42
Hey, am going to go to Faro. They have a flying school there and am going to work in locally and use the money to fund some flying. Have the added advantage of having free accomadation so that frees up some more cash. Hopefully can get plenty done. Shoot some ILS approaches in between the big boys and have consistant weather. Laters

ABO944
20th May 2005, 12:02
May I also recommend poping up to LPSC (Santa Cruz, just North of Lisbon), if you want some contact details, let me know.

ABO:cool:

Prickie
21st May 2005, 09:41
There's only one Ollycopter and he spent far too much time on the internet in the States.

As stated, lots of instructors are getting snapped up all the time to go to the airlines, so this is an excellent route.

Joining the IPA is also a good move as they help with placements - send me a PM if you want details and the contact to speak to.

Respectpa

Prickie

Maximum
21st May 2005, 12:35
Haven't read this forum for ages but I can't help myself - some of you guys never cease to crack me up..........may I offer some well intentioned advice Ollycopter?

Reading between the lines, sounds to me like you're going to have a sunny summer on the beach, some work and a little flying thrown in. Nothing wrong with that, but the title of your thread was 'help, I need a job'.........which implies some urgency. It must be one hell of a good job you've got lined up in Portugal if it's going to finance any worthwhile flying.

Might I suggest staying in the UK, getting that instructor's rating pronto, and starting to look for a job here?!

I'll tell you from the inside which one looks far better on your CV and will move your experience along by leaps and bounds.....................and it isn't the sunny option.

VFE
21st May 2005, 14:53
I'll give you an indication of how bad the job prospects are....

It is exciting stuff just recieve a PFO letter through the post. Most don't bother and why should they?

VFE.

Mister Geezer
21st May 2005, 15:38
There is no harm in going away to Portugal and flying. As long as it is going to be worthwhile financially. You will be out of the loop when it comes to recruitment but it will be a good way to build up hours providing the flying is available. The weather will be on your side, which is something

The job market is good at the moment and it is getting better. I am not saying that to be kind or saying that to be nice - I mean it and I am speaking from experience. Nearly all the turboprop operators are doing lots of recruiting at the moment. The guys with the prop time are moving up the ladder leaving the gaps for those starting out.

Get networking - it makes life a heck of a lot easier!!!

Maximum
21st May 2005, 18:24
I'm sorry, I just don't get it - how many hours are you going to build paying for them? And to what purpose? Honestly, turboprop and jet operators couldn't really give a stuff about those kind of flying hours. As always, there will be exceptions, people who'll tell you this helped them get a job, but on the whole, it won't. Sorry, but that's the truth.

If you want a nice summer in the sun, then ignore me, and I apologise for bothering you - and I mean that sincerely.

But if you actually want to get a flying job sooner rather than later, and you haven't anything lined up in Faro or any special contacts built up, and assuming you're not Portugese (if you are, then once again ignore this) - then stay here would be my advice.

Now's the time, before the summer, to get the instructor rating and start knocking on doors. If you can't get a job flying here, the chances of securing one in Portugal (assuming you have no special way in) are zilch.

If you have the instructor's rating, at least you're set for when an opportunity arises. You're one step ahead of those who haven't got one. And even if you never use it, you'll find it'll take you another rung up the ladder in flying skill. You'll learn a lot.

You should also explore glider towing and parachute dropping. Both of these are a long shot as they tend to go to people 'in the know', but not always.

However, I come back to instructing. All else being equal (ie, your aptitude for it), then this is the area where there is always some movement. It's the best bet IMHO.

And if the job doesn't come straight away, what about other jobs in the airlines or corporate? Ops trainee, load control, whatever. You'll learn stuff that's very useful for interviews, be close to the action, start networking etc. And it looks good on the CV.

You've got the licence, now you've got to treat this like any other professional job hunt. You've got to get out there and sell yourself, and look for ways in - sending out CV's and then accepting the mostly inevitable PFO just doesn't cut the mustard.

Taking yourself out of the UK job market for the summer is just postponing the start of your job hunt. Get on with it now!:=

M.85
22nd May 2005, 12:37
Olly.Olly,Olly,

Too much time playing Golf?huhh?
If your sister divorces her husband i may be able to help you..
Seriously..im going to Germany for upgrade from the 24th until 29 th of this month then if the examiner doesnt downgrade me to CA im back to base for two weeks then budapest base.
I thought you had a lead inside a private jet #airline#..what happened with that?
I ll send you a pm with my nr..and email..nr will only be valid until mid june.

C ya

M.85

Mister Geezer
22nd May 2005, 14:41
ollycopter

Do not go to Portugal if you are going to pay for your flying. If you can secure a flying job before you go then go for it.

I instructed and it gave me a solid start to my career. I would recommend it to anyone but summer is nearly upon us and by the time you did a FI course and found an instructing job then autumn could be upon us. If you are going to get your FI rating then sooner rather than later is what I would preach.

You need to make an assertive decision now!

All the best!

JB007
22nd May 2005, 14:59
sending out CV's and then accepting the mostly inevitable PFO just doesn't cut the mustard.

Wise words from Maximum. Good post.

The job hunting has to be as structured and disciplined as the rest of the training - it's generally the hardest bit!

mr_ericosta
1st Dec 2005, 16:44
ABO944

I've been trying to pm you but the server won't let me.

I'll have those contacts in Santa Cruz, please. I'm portuguese and have been looking for a job since the summer.

Cheers
Eric