PDA

View Full Version : Piano Man

Stoney X
16th May 2005, 13:01
I was reading this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4550069.stm) about the so-called piano man that has turned up in England. When I got to the labels had been removed from every item of clothing the man was wearing I started wondering if this might be a publicity stunt. Anybody else have doubts about this?

Regards
Stoney

timmcat
16th May 2005, 13:03
He does look rather odd though - a bit vacant and slightly scared (or just a good actor?).

If it is publicity, I think it might slap the offenders back in the face as he's being looked after by the NHS at taxpayers expense.

tony draper
16th May 2005, 15:14
There was a documentry on a few years back about a poor chap who because of a viral infection had very little long term memory,and no short term memory at all, he could be in conversation with you, turn round,then turn back and have no recolection of you or the conversation whatsoever, a very strange affliction.
Must have been hell for his wife, he knew she was his wife, but would greet her effussivley each time they met as if they had been separated and had not seen each other for years.
The odd thing being he was a Concert pianist composer and conducter and could still play the piano like a, err concert pianist.
:uhoh:

Taildragger55
16th May 2005, 15:28
Ironically, Accordian Man, who showed up at the same hospital, was smothered quietly with a pillow by the nurses and buried secretly in the shrubbery.

TheOddOne
16th May 2005, 15:33
Definition of a gentleman...

Someone who knows how to play the Accordian

and

doesn't.

Cheers,
The Odd One

Taildragger55
16th May 2005, 15:38
And of course there was Bagpipe Man.

He knew exactly who he was, but his family pretended they had never heard of him.

Onan the Clumsy
16th May 2005, 16:04
Accordians don't play Lady of the Lake...people do

I saw a similar thing once about a bloke from Blackpool who'd gone looney, ended up in London living as a tramp and getting himself a trampette :ugh: when all the time he had a family, wife and kids etc waiting for him in Blackpool. Except he had absolutely no knowledge of them.

Now some of you wags out there might use this to make some uncomplimentary and unjustified comments re my home town, but let me tell you, it wasn't the case: He had Fuge's syndrome.

WG774
16th May 2005, 20:10
Anybody else have doubts about this?

Call me a cynic, but yes...

A seven-figure deal with Sony Classical awaits him methinks...

Loose rivets
17th May 2005, 06:23
Usually, skilled testing will tell if he is really in this condition, or seeking sympathy/attention etc. The missing labels are not a very good indicator, cos someone that had been ‘managed' into the country v someone that wants to appear to have been prepared thus, gives the same results.

I'm surprised that no one could identify ANY of the music. But even if it was a hotch-potch of classical pieces, to play for several hours is not only a feat of memory and training, but of sheer physical strength. Playing a piano...especially a concert grand, takes years of muscle building to play for "for several hours, non-stop".

I'm intrigued.

T55...my laughter woke Mrs R up again. right down the other end of the house.

Gainesy
17th May 2005, 07:07
Surprised that with all the publicity that no one has yet recognised him though.

IB4138
17th May 2005, 07:39
Have trained the houndess to bark and howl at wandering minstals, especially ones playing accordians.:E

brockenspectre
17th May 2005, 09:22
That the music he played wasn't recognised is probably just indicative of the lack of knowledge of the classics among the Kentish hospital staff - why they didn't look in yellow pages and grab a piano teacher a bit sharpish to come and listen seems a tad remiss! :rolleyes:

Other thing I read is that as well as drawing a grand piano (which gave them the hint to sit him at a piano) he also "drew the Swedish Flag" (presumably he had crayons as well as just a pencil!) - so why not just find a Scandiwegian interpreter to come and chat (OK I know all Scandiwegians speak English but in extremis even they might revert to mother-tongue only).

Also ... why is there no mention of Interpol or liaison with European police forces? The local police apparently said "we have a strong lead from Sussex but we are too busy to follow that up" which I find somewhat bewildering!!!

Anyway, I look forward to the next episode in this curious story :ok:

Lon More
17th May 2005, 09:52
TV news this morning that a lot of info was received after last night's news item and that it would take several days to investigate them all

Onewordanswer
17th May 2005, 10:40
Well he's a plonka yeh!

tony draper
17th May 2005, 10:45
thats true Mr Rivets, holding one of they buggas under yer chin must be very tireing.
One once helped some chaps steal a grand piano, of course one did not know they were stealing it at the time.

Rushton
17th May 2005, 11:04
he also "drew the Swedish Flag"
Perhaps due to NHS funding shortages they only had yellow and blue crayons.

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 14:45
Probably a good thing Mr Piano Man didn't "arrive" in the US. Christ knows what sort of security alert it would have kicked off :E

airborne_artist
17th May 2005, 14:54
Saw the picture he drew of a grand piano - the extreme detail and style reminded me of the highly accurate drawings done by a lad diagnosed as autistic that had a lot of publicity a year or two back.

Piano man's lack of communication skills and significant talent in one/two highly discrete areas would tally with autism, for example.

brockenspectre
17th May 2005, 15:17
Wonder if they have tried to identify the source of the fabric(s) of his clothes? or the style? If he is autistic then maybe he was living with an older person who is or has been incapacitated so PianoMan had to "escape" because there was no-one to feed/clothe/look after him? He may be so nervous because he is not used to being around more than one person?

All idle speculation on my part! Sorry!! I know nothing about autism or identifying people but it just fascinates me that in 2005 in nanny-state Britain someone can remain unidentified for SIX weeks!!! :rolleyes:

tony draper
17th May 2005, 15:38
Doesn't supprise me Brokey,theres quarter of a million wandering about this island that shouldn't be.
:rolleyes:

Sparkle
17th May 2005, 16:50
most novel way of entering Britain illegally and getting citizenship I've heard of!

Accordion and Bag pipe Man: Verry funny:D :D :ok:

Onan the Clumsy
17th May 2005, 16:57
I think autism is a condition where the communication lines to the outside world are a little scrambled so sounds are loud and the attention gets focused

This sounds more like a savant who is incredibly good at only one thing.

Autism is 299.00 (http://www.autism-biomed.org/dsm-iv.htm) in DSM IV

The Real Slim Shady
17th May 2005, 17:20
If he'd been a pilot he would still be wandering around in the stripey jimjams being overdosed with ritalin or stuff like that.

Who would have a 737 lying around in their NHS care facility???

Then again, a display in a 737 INSIDE a care facility........you would definitely be certifiable.

BOFH
17th May 2005, 18:30
According to the Times today, he is recovering in a facility where there is no piano.

I find that immensely sad - it would buck up the other loo^H^H^Hpatients. Hopefully there is a wealthy benefactor somewhere.

BOFH

Onan the Clumsy
17th May 2005, 18:41
According to the Times today, he is recovering in a facility where there is no piano. Typical really. About the only thing this guy does is walk and play the piano (not at the same time obviously) so they put him in a facility with no piano and expect him to recover :confused:

I hope he at least can walk a bit, maybe cut some labels off something too.

tony draper
17th May 2005, 19:39
Perhaps he was abandoned in the jungle at two years of age and brung up by a tribe of wild Concert Pianists.

Rollingthunder
17th May 2005, 19:41
It's nine o'clock on a Saturday
The regular crowd shuffles in
There's an old man sitting next to me
Making love to his tonic and gin

He says, "Son can you play me a memory
I'm not really sure how it goes
But it's sad and it's sweet
And I knew it complete
When I wore a younger man's clothes"

It's Billy Joel.

Onan the Clumsy
17th May 2005, 19:56
I never understood that. Didn't the younger man mind?

scrubed
17th May 2005, 20:02
It's Billy Joel.No it's not, it's Mr. Jones. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107611/)

What happened to ya blog, onan!?? I was just in the process of contributing

cringe
17th May 2005, 20:31
According to some reports, this guy isn't necessarily a virtuoso, but rather an accomplished amateur, playing a small number of tunes repeatedly, including some Tchaikovsky and Lennon.

One of his drawings:
http://www.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2//200505/160_piano_sketch_050517.jpg

brockenspectre
18th May 2005, 11:38
Well apparently, according to the latest information on NewsNow (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Piano+Man) the guy might be a french musician .. and of course flm rights are being talked about ... :ok:

scrubed
18th May 2005, 11:47
Film rights.........

I'm going to roll around in some mud in my pilot uniform, not shave, pull the airline logos off,and stand around in the rain someplace drawing pictures of airplanes.

See if someone lets me fly their biz-jet and make a movie about me.

And no, they won't call it "The Jerk."

tony draper
18th May 2005, 13:27
A Frenchman? good grief! he prolly just followed the crowd walking through the tunnel then.

brockenspectre
19th May 2005, 10:02
Well the French angle is now ruled out as the actual French busker/keyboard player is still happily in France! But... it now gets curiouser and curiouser if you read this (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13351222,00.html) :ok:

tall and tasty
19th May 2005, 10:15
They were talking about this on the radio this morning and apparently have had over 600 calls as to who he may be. Including a French mimer who has some info????

But they also said a couple of years ago a similar looking man turned up in Canada and the only thing different was his nose. But that he had had surgery.

One of the conclusions that they are a race of invadors from a far away galaxy and trying to infiltrate our world!! Far fetched I think.

It may just be a poor man with memory loss. Similar to a micro glider about 10 years ago in the south of England.

Time will tell or they suggested telling him he had won a vast amount of money and see the reaction!

TnT

Lon More
19th May 2005, 10:28
Dutch newspapers reporting this morning that it may be 31 year old piano teacher Marcel Herder from Krommenie, near Amsterdam.

shortandsmelly
19th May 2005, 12:39
I read a letter in the SMH this morning suggesting a name or two for the poor bloke...

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhubert

or

Mutezart

(well I thought it was clever)

tony draper
19th May 2005, 12:59
Poor buggas prolly just escaped from Devils Island.
That was a real hell hole, French prisoners only got two hours for their lunch.

Tonic Please
19th May 2005, 13:13
shortandsmelly... Made me chuckle too.

I think they should electrode him up, and see how he responds to different visual stimuli.

Could do the same with sounds to see if he is deaf too!

I think it's a good idea anyway :ugh:

ORAC
19th May 2005, 13:20
One of the conclusions that they are a race of invaders from a far away galaxy and trying to infiltrate our world!!

Nah! They´ve got stiff little pinkies and wouldn´t be able to play the joanna.... :}

El Grifo
19th May 2005, 13:39
The guy is obviously a plonker.

Lets just forget about him.

:cool:

Onan the Clumsy
19th May 2005, 14:25
have had over 600 calls as to who he may be. Including a French mimer Must've been a video phone then

BOFH
19th May 2005, 17:50
The guy is obviously a plonker

El Grifo,

I came this >< close. Well done.

BOFH

ShyTorque
19th May 2005, 19:27
Get him playing the old Mozart or whatever, then slam the piano lid down on his fingers and see which language he swears in...... :E

Tonic Please
19th May 2005, 20:51
Hahaha thats a great idea!

El Grifo
19th May 2005, 21:16
Far Cough Shy Torque !!!!!

:ok: :} :ok:

airship
22nd Aug 2005, 14:15
Who's to say that the piano man hasn't just been stringing us along all this time? Anyway, he's gone home now... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/4172662.stm)