PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Sith

BillHicksRules
16th May 2005, 09:59
Dear all,

Since no one has started this I thought I would ask.

How many Ppruners will be flocking to see The Revenge of the Sith movie on Thursday?

Cheers

BHR

ps. for a tiebreaker question who has already booked?

Squawk 2650
16th May 2005, 10:07
Will definitely be going!! Maybe not Thursday, gonna wait for the rush to calm down a bit!! I guess I’m not that hardcore!!

Fav Episodes has to be Empire Strikes back AND Attack of the Clones!!

HUGE Yoda fan!!

L
:cool:

Stoney X
16th May 2005, 10:09
I can't go without the wife and kid, so I'm watching it on Saturday. I was tempted to sneak off work Thursday afternoon but I might bump into the boss as he's going.

Wish I was in London today. All six movies back to back would have been interesting :\

Regards
Stoney

scrubed
16th May 2005, 10:10
Yeah I was considering starting a thread on the new flick but figure you will bring it more respect than I ever could... :*

I am looking forward to watching AS/DV carve the hides off a few Jedi as they have had it coming for 30 years, nearly.

Hard to believe I have been waiting most of my life for this. People say "all my life" but in Star Wars case, it is true. Well okay, maybe not waiting but - you know.......

The movie got a 15yo+ rating in Aust due to lots of murder and mayhem. Perfect for the mid-30s crowd who grew up with it. Todays youf will have to suffer, for now.

Please PLEASE let the first to fall under DV's sabre be that homo, uncle tom retard, Jar Jar Binks (http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/jarjarbinks/) whose appearance in Episode I brought such vexation and displeasure to millions of nerds worldwide. I PRAY for that scene.

I also don't think Samuel L. Jackson packs the gear to be a Jedi. Ewan McGregor does an awesome job as young O.W. Kenobi and did well slicing Darth Maul in half in E1. Shame as Darth Maul had a lot of character.

The trailer shows early model TIE Fighters in action. Good sh!t!!

Question: Does James Earl Jones take over the voice again when Anakin slips on The Helmet and becomes DV??? I guess we'll find out.

I saw the original flick in '77 for 1 dollar.

tall and tasty
16th May 2005, 11:18
Loved the original trilogy and not really seen the other two.

But the youngest has been counting the days to see this movie so I am off with them to have some fun.

(Guess that means I have to check out the other two beforehand to find out what happened!!!)

TnT:p

joe2812
16th May 2005, 12:21
Yep can't wait to see it!

Not quite *ahem* sad enough to flock to see it, queue for hours etc on release day but will see it within the week no doubt!

Jar Jar apparently only appears in one scene thank heavens!

jb_flyer
16th May 2005, 12:33
As a younger member, I was not about when the original movies were released, but have seen all 3 originals (and the remastered re-releaseses)

Am going at 1201 h H time on Thursday, and have booked tickets well well well in advance via the net :)

Shame that the 2 cinema giants in Perth are not showing the first 2 movies before the premiere, as was the case for the third Matrix movie, but I guess thats what a wide screen TV and surround sound are for hey?

Extra bonus points: who is dressing up for the occaison? My brother and his mates (oh yeah, he is 19... ) are going as Jedi, I considered (briefly) to wrap myself in alfoil and go as C3P0, but a cooler head perveiled!

Jordan D
16th May 2005, 13:26
I will be avoiding this movie like the plague. Roll on its release and the whole buzz to quieten down.

Jordan

ORAC
16th May 2005, 13:31
Watched the first 3 at the cinematoscope. Watched half the 4th on DVD and turned it off. Didinīt watch the 5th after reading the reviews. Doubt I shall bother with this one either.

Gouabafla
16th May 2005, 14:03
I'll go and see it, but more out of a morbid sense of duty (I've seen the others, so I might as well) than any sense of anticipation.

Darth Nigel
16th May 2005, 14:35
Interesting article in (I think) Entertainment Weekly, a magazine which is only allowed in the house because Mrs Darth reads it.

George Lucas is quoted as saying that the main through story of the first three movies (parts I - III) was how Anakin descends into darkness. However, he saved approximately 60% of the story for the 3rd movie, with about 20% of the story in each of the first two movies. The remainder of the other two movies was (like cheap sasusages) filled with background story, meat by-products, vegetable matter and bread. And a limited amount of rat faeces.

Strong rumor is that Part III is the one we've been waiting for -- it is the one true prequel to Star Wars.

So I'll probably wait a couple of weeks before seeing it, just to let the crowd thin out a bit. Saw HHGttG this weekend and enjoyed it, so the plan more or less works.

BALIX
16th May 2005, 14:56
Ah, how I remember sitting goggle-eyed at the first (actually the fourth but there you go) episode as a spotty teenager. All those special effects that were so much better than sci-fi films that preceeded it, a good, easy to follow story line where you knew who the good guys and the bad guys were, Carrie Fisher's silly hairdo... It was bloody fantastic. The second and third (sorry, fifth and sixth) episodes lacked the originality of the first for obvious reasons but were still excelent pieces of escapist entertainment.

Years later, I sat in the cinema as a rather less spotty thirty-sometning to watch Episode One. What a complete load of bollocks. No action, a story line that was merely setting the scene for further films, appaling characters (that Jar Jar [email protected] and a young Darth Vader who would not have gone to the dark side had he been given the slapping he deserved) and whilst the special effects were impressive, hell, I was a lot older and less impressed by special effects thank you very much.

Never bothered watching Episode Two. Will probably give Episode Three a miss as well.

goates
16th May 2005, 17:28
From the articles and pictures I have seen so far, Revenge of the Sith will be far closer to the original 3 than the last two. It also sounds like it will be somewhat darker than the rest as well.

Spoiler Alert, skip this if you don't want to the story ruined (like no one knows what happens). Remember the young Jedi that Yoda was training in the first two movies? Remember how Darth Vader/Anakin hunted down and killed the Jedi? Can you see where this is going?

http://www.viewaskew.com/news/sith/

goates

FLCH
16th May 2005, 17:32
I was going to avoid it like the plague, because I thought the title was "Revenge of the Syph"......but now I have been corrected I am considering to see it.

The Greaser
16th May 2005, 17:43
The reviews I have read suggest a dose of syph might be better than watching this garbage.

Jerricho
16th May 2005, 17:52
And how long until we're going to see a Part 7 be made.......... :rolleyes:

goates
16th May 2005, 21:47
Part 7, I don't know about. In some interviews Mr. Lucas has said he would only be making 6 movies. On the other hand, there are a couple of TV series coming out sometime soon. One is meant to be animated and the other a live action.

goates

Capt.KAOS
16th May 2005, 22:07
Hope it'll be better than the last 2 episodes which were utter crap with terrible actors. McGregor, Christensen and Portman are light years away from Ford, Fisher and Hamill.

Lucas has vision, yet he's a lousy director and screenwriter.

PS, well I guess it's not reading this review... (http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Guardian_Film_of_the_week/0,4267,1482359,00.html)

"It supposedly forms the mythic heart of the gigantic Third Episode of George Lucas's colossally inflated Star Wars prequel trilogy. Yet when this moment happens - after what seems like seven hours of CGI action as dramatically weightless as the movement of tropical fish in an aquarium - I looked blearily around the cinema and sensed thousands of scalps failing to prickle. We had all been bored into submission long ago."

EMS R22
17th May 2005, 00:14
I will not be going to it, i have to mow the lawns!

scrubed
17th May 2005, 02:31
McGregor, Christensen and Portman are light years away from Ford, Fisher and Hamill. "And back in my day kids were respectful to their elders, you could play in the streets, there was no such thing as a remote control, etc, etc......."

:rolleyes:

Mark Hamill was so good he never had to do another flick since then.

:rolleyes:

Howard Hughes
17th May 2005, 02:39
Oh Dear, I have tickets to the 12.01am screening at my local cinema.

I think I need to fina mirror and take a long hard look at myself!!;)

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

AntiCrash
17th May 2005, 03:03
I have it on good authority that there will be over 14 ppruners going to see the Sith flick.

Buster Hyman
17th May 2005, 03:44
Will go eventually...gotta say I've seen them all in the Cinema!

I thought I'd reaquaint myself with Eps 1 & 2 though...but I ended up with a question that some budding SW nut may answer.

If Jango Fett was the blueprint for the Republic clones, why did he end up with Count Dooku on Geonosis? And if he was working for Dooku, how come Dooku didn't know about the Clone army?:confused:

Okay...I'm feeling rather sad & embarrassed now...I'll go quietly...:8

scrubed
17th May 2005, 04:46
*cracks knuckles*

Well you see.....

Dooku felt he could no longer serve the Jedi Order because he was put off by the apparent corruption in the Jedi order. If the senate which controlled the republic was corrupt, and the Jedi served that republic, that kind of meant the Jedi were serving a corrupt entity and therefore corrupting themselves.

He didn't know that Palpatine, the chancellor, was also Darth Sidious, the Dark Lord of the Sith who was manipulating events in order to topple the Jedi and form an EMPIRE. This was to be the culmination of a plan spanning a thousand years (give or take...).

Anyway, in his disgust with the corruption in the senate, Dooku considered seeking out the Sith Lord whom he was convinced did exist and was causing the dark side to grow more powerful. In fact, it was he who was sought out by Sidious. Dooku listened to what Sidious had to say and became convinced that Sidious did in fact want to create a new Empire that wasn't corrupt, like the Republic the Jedi now served.

At the same time, though, Dooku was becoming corrupted, himself, by the power Sidious promised. Sidious would use the clone army for his own agenda, that being to destroy all other armies (eg the droid army of the Trade Federation) which could stand up to him and (more importantly) the greatest threat to his plans - the Jedi Order.

Qui-Gon Jinn (who was a close friend and former padawan of Count Dooku) was suddenly killed by Darth Maul and this deeply affected the Count which didn't help.

Sifo-Dyas (whom you never see) was previously a loyal Jedi Master and leading member of the Jedi council. He was also, like Qui-Gon Jinn and Count Dooku (who was still a Jedi at the time), something of a free spirit, willing to bend the rules if he thought it was in the best interest of the Jedi and Republic as a whole.

Master Sifo-Dyas felt the power of the Jedi power slowly diminishing, as Yoda and Mace spoke of in Episode II, and knew what it meant: the darkside and the Sith were growing in power and there would be a war eventually.

He knew the Jedi might not be able to defeat the threat alone. For one thing, the Sith had been planning their assault on the Jedi for the past thousand years and had their sh!t squared well away. Also, the Sith would have the advantage of both Tactical and Strategic Surprise since the Jedi did not know who or where the Sith were.

Sifo-Dyas felt the Republic would need an army to survive. He also knew the council wouldn't allow the creation of such an army without proper justification, but he knew they wouldn't have proper justification until it was too late. So he ordered the army in secret, so that there would be an army which could be called upon when the Sith finaly did show themselves, and, more importantly, one that the Sith did not know about or expect, since it was being made in secret.

What I don't understand is how you can get the approval for spending on a scale necessary to fund an entire army of clones, plus all the kit, and still keep it "secret" but nevertheless....

Anyway, since Sifo-Dyas was a loyal Jedi and was behind the whole clone army creation, he would have to be killed if the clone army was to be used for another purpose by scum like Sidious and his new b!tch, Count Dooku. Sifo-Dyas was mysteriously killed - at least it appeared mysterious to the Jedi Order, when in reality it was his former friend, Count Dooku, who murdered him. Dooku had effectively gained control of the army Sifo-Dyas had ordered which would ultimately be used in his new master's grand plan.

No one ever seems to have asked the tactical commanders of the stormtroopers what they thought of all this and to whom they would show loaylty. They seem to have been without opinion all along. Part of being a clone???

I believe Dooku found out about the clone army through the Jedi Archives but am not 100% sure. Dooku then deleted references to Kamino and the army from the Jedi archives to ensure no-one came across the army until he and his master were ready to leave the Jedi Order and put the army to use.

Remember that?? Qui-Gon Jinn searched the Archives for clues on the dart used to kill Zam Wesell, the assassin tasked with snuffing Padme. He found nothing and ended up going to an all-night diner to dig up the info from a hash-slinger.

By the way, Zam Wesell was never intended to actually succeed in assassinating Padme. She was a pawn intended to provide a trail of clues for QG Jinn and Anakin to follow. Why would you send her on her won to take on the likes of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker?????

The dart was the clue. It was all part of a Plan. She fails in the assassination attempt, runs, gets caught, then is knocked off by Jango Fett who, in doing so, "plants" the evidence (the dart) needed for Qui-Gon to find out about Planet Kamino and the army.

Sidious wanted the army to be discovered so he could then make use of it without looking like he knew all about it beforehand.

Sidious engineered the entire rebellion by the Trade Federation and Galactic Banking Clan and others in order to have an excuse to whip out his army and seize control.

Clear as mud?

ORAC
17th May 2005, 04:54
But who is Luke's father?.....

Howard Hughes
17th May 2005, 05:49
Thanks Scrubed, I feel better now, I am not as a big a Star Wars geek as I first thougt!!

Now you on the other hand;) LMAO

Cheers, HH.

scrubed
17th May 2005, 06:51
Notice how the heroes in the Star Wars movies are all....

PILOTS

Luke Skywalker - turns out to be a born 'knucklehead'

Han Solo - trash hauler

Darth Vader - also a knuck, endorsed on his own personal TIE fighter

Obi Wan Kenobi - flies some wedge-shaped thing (sign of things to come) around the place

Jango and Boba Fett

etc, etc, etc.

Art imitates life........ nice!

Hey there are even a few ATCOs (STCOs) given some coverage from time to time.

Of course none of them ever get the girl.....

:{

Ascend Charlie
17th May 2005, 10:14
Always believed that SITH meant Stuffed In The Head, with the more epithetic FITH for non-mixed company...:8

Capt.KAOS
17th May 2005, 10:22
Nah...SITH is just an anagram for SH!T.

SpinSpinSugar
17th May 2005, 10:46
So, loose ends to tie up in Episode III :

C3PO has to lose his memory of being constructed by Anakin Skywalker aka Darth Vader, being familiar with Tatooine and being best of buds with Obi Wan Kenobi before Episode IV kicks off. Otherwise, surely, he'd have said something.

R2D2 doesn't necessarily have to lose his memory because you can't understand what he's saying in the later films anyway. He does, however, have to lose the jetpacks in his feet that would have helped in numerous scrapes in Episodes IV-VI. And he seems to have an awful lot of other random kit onboard for an Astromech droid.

Obi Wan Kenobi has to forget them both by the time Episode IV rolls around but by then he is an old fella so at least that's plausible (although it was a very eventful period of his life and he remembers the rest of it clear as a whistle).

However, never let the need to over-merchandise already familiar characters unnecessary in the prequels get in the way of including them anyway. I gather Chewy makes an appearance in Episode III, presumably also provoking memory loss issues (although again maybe Han wasn't so hot with his translation in Episodes IV-VI and missed the "Hang about, I know this geezer!" growl nuance). Mind you, when he has to create new characters you end up with Jar Jar Binks so I suppose you can forgive him for returning to familiar territory.

Apparently Episode III also throws up some plot inconsistencies with regard to Leia's memory of her mother as described in Episode VI, but I'll wait to be impressed with that one when I see it.

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Cheers, SSS

tomahawk10
17th May 2005, 10:48
Maybe if someone was kind enough to set me on fire or stab me with a fork I would not not have to endure the pain that is Star Wars!

Please let it end Mr Lucas!

Stoney X
17th May 2005, 11:28
I would like to quote from the beeb (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4549651.stm#postform) websiteI'm a bit down on my luck at the moment and have few reasons to even bother getting out of bed in the mornings. However, when I read about a 'parade by the 501st UK garrison of Stormtroopers' it gives me a welcome lift and puts my own sad life into its proper perspective. Who says Star Wars doesn't have something to everyone :E

Regards
Stoney

P.S. I'm at work listening to the sound track on the movie. Sad or what?

goates
17th May 2005, 14:11
SpinSpinSugar,

Check out the link I posted earlier as it mentions some of the tie-ins to episodes IV-VI. Including wiping the memory of C3P-O.

goates

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 14:17
In some interviews Mr. Lucas has said he would only be making 6 movies

Yeah right. Lust like the creators of Police Academy said they would stop after 3 :E

goates
17th May 2005, 15:18
While he could keep going, it doesn't sound like he really wants to.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.05/lucas.html?pg=1&topic=lucas&topic_set=

But with the fortune he made off of Star Wars, he could do anything he wants.

goates

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 15:26
he could do anything he wants

Heh. That's the point.

Who wants to bet in a couple of years he's gonna re-release them usign new CGI technology to portray the story just as he originally wanted............... what's that word?? Cynical?

scrubed
17th May 2005, 15:29
As an aside... I hope he doesn't digitally air-brush out Natalie Portman's nipples in the lake scene of Episode II.

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 15:32
Episode 7 - The Nipples stand out

tubthumper
17th May 2005, 15:34
Who wants to bet in a couple of years he's gonna re-release them usign new CGI technology to portray the story just as he originally wanted

I heard he was thinking of celebrating the 30th anniversary by re-releasing the original in 3-D :ok: :eek: :D

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 15:40
Bring on them nipples :E

SpinSpinSugar
17th May 2005, 15:58
Cheers goates, I do usually read links but it was the spoiler warning that put me off. I may be a big old cynic who can't move on from the original trilogy and accept the more eccentric facets of the new vision, but I would still like some surprises when I finally get to see it :)

Booked in for next Wednesday, centre theatre, should be a bit quieter.

Will avoid reading all threads when people who've actually seen it start posting.

Cheers, SSS

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 16:06
who've actually seen it start posting

Luke's his son

Leia is Luke's sister

joe2812
17th May 2005, 16:13
Luke's his son? :*

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 16:15
Yup......and C3PO and R2D2 are actually in a gay relationship.

goates
17th May 2005, 21:21
This may be of amusement to some.

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/articles/050523crci_cinema

goates

Buster Hyman
17th May 2005, 21:46
Thanks scrubed, however, I think it was Obi-Wan & Anakin that found the dart as QGJ died in the first Episode.

Also, why does Dooku not know about the clone troopers when they attack Geonosis? "Where did the Republic get such a big army?" I think he said...:confused:

scrubed
17th May 2005, 21:58
oops. Yeah I meant Obi Wan. Sorry.

Anakin was off "looking after" Padme at the time, I think.

Anyway Dooku DID know about the clone army but he had to play it down in front of the other rebellion leaders, for example those evil Asian Trade Federation leaders, who were also there.

They were all suckers in the rebellion Dooku was tasked with "arranging" in order to create an excuse for the clone army which Sidious had commandeered.

Don't read on if you don't wanna know how it happened..

The Rebels make one last attempt to win by capturing the Repubic capital including the chancellor but lose in the end. Dooku gets snuffed in the process but not before he spilt the beans on who was really running the rock show.

Once the clones had annihilated the other armies, the Chancellor (aka Senator Palpatine aka Darth Sidious aka The Emperor-to-be) who grabbed the reigns during this crisis, will have no armed opposition beyond the Jedi and will not relinquish power.

The Jedi turn up to arrest him and a fight ensues. Being as the Chancellor is now a hero for beating the rebels, the Jedi are seen as being disloyal and declared an enemy of the Republic.

If I were Palpatine I would tempt a powerful but disillusioned Jedi to my side to replace Darth Maul who was sadly carved in two and then slaughter all the other Jedi as the last remaining threat to a Galactic Empire but I guess you'll have to see the film to find out if he does.

Of course, one or two or three might escape the purge...

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 23:16
Scrubby the Star Wars fan.

Well I never. ;)

PorcoRosso
18th May 2005, 08:09
I suggest you have a look to this (http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~mbsf/sworde.htm) website

Really funny

pipersfather
19th May 2005, 15:47
Scrubbed, have you read the book "Labyrinth of Evil" in which the back story with Syfo Dias is explained? It's pretty good and the dialogue is better than in Episode 3.

Squawk 2650
20th May 2005, 07:35
Anyone seen it yet? Prob go over the weekend! :ok:

L
:cool:

Hamrah
20th May 2005, 07:48
Yes, well. Disappointing is putting it mildly. Sure it livens up a bit in the middle. But the actor playing Anekin is just so awfully wodden, and even Euan McGregor looks like he's been told to sound like Alec Guiness( for continuity!!!) and that alone takes all his acting ability.

it weaves well into episode 4.....but by no means a classic.

H

SilentHandover
20th May 2005, 07:59
Agree with Hamrah, it's OK as a film, passed a couple of hours, some cracking cheesy moments to link in to Episode 4.

rubik101
20th May 2005, 11:47
Saw it last night. Best bit, Padme's cool silver space whizzer.
Worst bit, Padme giving birth.
BTW, the 12a rating is about right. Kids of six to ten will NOT enjoy the burning body scene nor the slaughter of the innocents! Well, some might but I would suggest you leave that age group at home.

DuckDodgers
20th May 2005, 12:50
It passed the time, CGI really does ruin some films doesn't it? The last 20 mins were pretty good as 'fill in the blanks type answers'. Only Yoda met Chewbacca so NO problems there, but there were plot holes large enough to sink the RN!

BillHicksRules
20th May 2005, 14:13
DD,

What plot holes did you notice?

Cheers

BHR

thegirlfriend
20th May 2005, 15:32
ok...well i thought i was really good - i mean all the cgi and cr** acting by hayden christiansen aside, he reminded me of claire danes in romeo and juliet - a little to 'try hard' on the big emotion front - worst scene: Darth saying 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

the books are WAY better - especially with a good imagination
:p

Rollingthunder
20th May 2005, 15:43
Have heard it's been bootlegged onto the internet already and counterfeit dvds were available on the streets of New York last night.

Floppy Link
20th May 2005, 17:26
Sith Apprentice (http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/sith_apprentice)

El lute
20th May 2005, 23:17
Saw it, and, well, Sith happens.

Cyclic Hotline
20th May 2005, 23:35
Its a bleedin' Intergalactic soap opera.

Sort of like watching a sci-fi Coronation Street.:=

DuckDodgers
21st May 2005, 11:07
Why Padme 'lost the will to live' is one but probably linked to the dark sides ability to give life etc.....

How did the Emperor/Darth Sidius/ Senator Palpatine gain direct control of the clone army........

But hey it was ok...but still not as good as Empire Strikes Back due to Lucas directing it and writing the screenplay!

Jerricho
21st May 2005, 15:19
space whizzer.

Ah, so that's what them Jedi call it.

jayteeto
21st May 2005, 20:28
I thought the first 20 mins were poor but then it livened up into a decent film. There were some minor continuity errors but come on!! This is light entertainment for goodness sake!! C3PO had to have his memory wiped or else he could have given away the existence of the twins.

mr.nys
21st May 2005, 21:16
seen it today
not bad at all, but yoda should have won the battle with the emperor.
it does have a lot of plot holes in it though...... :(

MSF
21st May 2005, 22:53
What can I say.
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT MY 2 1/2 HOURS BACK !

I could drink paint and sith a better film !