PDA

View Full Version : Bizjet off runway at Atlantic City

ORAC
16th May 2005, 06:38
Small Jet Goes Off Runway Into Bay in N.J.

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - A small corporate jet landing in Atlantic City ran off the runway when its brakes failed, careening into a bay. None of the four people on board - rescued by a boater and some residents - were seriously injured. The Charlie Cessna Citation C-25A crashed about 4:30 p.m. Sunday at Bader Field Airport, authorities said.

The pilot, co-pilot and two passengers - all residents of Denmark in Atlantic City for a convention - were returning from a trip to Burlington, Vt. They were taken to a hospital where they were treated and released Sunday night.

An unidentified boater fishing in the area pulled the co-pilot and the two passengers from the jet. Some area residents who saw the crash used a small boat to reach the pilot. One of the residents, Joe Clark, told the Courier-Post of Cherry Hill that the pilot was "calm but concerned with the plane.''

Clark said he thought about using the boat to tow the jet closer to the docks but he abandoned that idea when one of the aircraft's engines suddenly revved up, causing flames and smoke to shoot out. :confused:

"I thought it was going to blow up,'' Clark said.

The 10-passenger jet, owned by Weibel Scientific Inc. of Denmark, was expected to be towed away sometime Monday. A company spokesman declined comment on the crash, which is being investigated by the Federal Aviation Administration, the National Transportation Safety Board and state police.

Avman
16th May 2005, 09:19
Local papers making a lot of noise about available runway length for a "jet". There are two runways at AIY: 2595 and 2948 feet long. I have no experience with this type but I wouldn't have thought it a problem for a lightly loaded C525.

Onan the Clumsy
16th May 2005, 14:41
Clark said he thought about using the boat to tow the jet closer to the docks but he abandoned that idea when one of the aircraft's engines suddenly revved up, causing flames and smoke to shoot out The aircraft must have detected either an infants school, a hospital or a convent full of blind orphans nearby.

Still at least if it did spool up, you wouldn't have to tow it ashore.

His dudeness
16th May 2005, 15:13
well if its a C25A (C525A), then its a CJ2...
I have about 1000hours on the CJ2, if this example would be one without the brake modulating valve SB and the rwy was wet...then 3000 ft is to short.

If lightly loaded and dry rwy, piece of cake.

If brake failure did occur (power brake pump, e.g.) then you´d use the bottle system - no A/S and a factor of 1.3 or 1.4... sometimes I really like the 1.67 factor we have to use...

Fried_Chicken
16th May 2005, 21:43
Confirmed as a CJ2 (C525A), reg' OYJET

Fried Chicken

overeasy
18th May 2005, 08:12
A quote from Aviation International News seems to clear up any conundrums, as to why it might have gone of the end of the runway. Besides being a short runway, a 12kt tailwind is beyond most allowable tailwind limits.

"It is unknown why the crew elected to try to land at Bader. At about the time of the accident, the wind was reported at 12 knots from 270 degrees. The airplane was attempting to land on Runway 11 at Bader Field, which has a widely published notice that it is “closed to jet aircraft.”"

eyeinthesky
20th May 2005, 08:42
If that's true, I wonder what the insurers will have to say when asked to pay up!

Check 6
1st Sep 2006, 15:00
Now for your viewing pleasure, the video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V06LBgfuxgA&NR)

You will not believe what this crew did. :rolleyes: :eek: :D :=

con-pilot
1st Sep 2006, 16:20
That has to be the most incredibly stupidest thing I have ever seen in my aviation career of nearly 40 years, and I have seen a lot of stupid things.

Not only should that pilot never be allowed anywhere near an airplane again, he should not be allowed to even look at an airplane.

international hog driver
1st Sep 2006, 19:23
That video is absolutely mint…… and to be caught on camera breaking rule #1…..mint!

I would hazard to guess that incidents like this will be just the tip of the iceberg once the plethora of VLJ’s with non-professional pilots appear in the next few years.

Just remember we have to share the sky with these guys.

Check 6
1st Sep 2006, 19:27
P1"Mate, while we are here, let's give the pax a tour of the harbour. Maybe we will get a bigger tip from them."

P2 "Sounds good. Why don't we just start #2 so we can make a left hand circuit?"

maxphlyer
2nd Sep 2006, 10:03
The findings of the aviation safety board can be found here:

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20050515-0

"The CitationJet departed Burlington (BTV) around 14:45 on a routine flight to Atlantic City (AIY). The pilot first made a low pass down runway 29 and then return to land on runway 11. After touchdown the airplane failed to stop and overran the runway and into the Intercoastal Waterway. The occupants were rescued by a boat.
According to the Cessna 525A Landing Distance Chart, an airplane with a landing weight of 11,000 pounds required 2,930 feet of landing distance, in a no wind situation. With a 10 knot tailwind, which was the approx wind at the time of the accident, the airplane required 3,500 feet of landing distance. Runway 11 at Bader Field is a 2,948 foot-long, 100 foot-wide, asphalt runway. Bader Field is normally closed to jet traffic. :=

PROBABLE CAUSE: "The pilot's improper decision to plan a flight to a runway of insufficient length, his improper in-flight decision to land on that inadequate runway with a tailwind, and his failure to obtain the proper touchdown point. A factor in the accident was the tailwind condition." "

My favourite phrase from the movie TOP GUN:

"Gutsiest move I ever saw, man!" :D

Always safe landings,

Max

maxphlyer
5th Sep 2006, 19:04
Sending the registration through google I found something very interesting:

The OY-JET has now been replaced by:

:D OY-WET :}

http://airliners.net/open.file?id=1062899

Even a complete idiot can display a sense of humor...

His dudeness
6th Sep 2006, 17:09
if you´re rich enough...besides, danes are not enemies to humour...

EatMyShorts!
13th Sep 2006, 10:26
Don't we know this person???

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0171522/L/