PDA

View Full Version : DHL Air UK - Questions - Good Place to Be?

Riker
16th May 2005, 02:00
Yes, I have searched the archives and I have read a few but I wanted an update about the situation at DHL Air UK. I have also looked at PPJN and noted that hiring is done on an as-needed basis (with attrition).

So, a few questions:

1. If one was lucky enough to get an interview for an open slot someday, would a 757 type be required before applying?

2. Do the DHL 757s solely fly at night or are there day lines as well?

3. How will the new Leipzig hub impact the EMA operation?

4. Despite all of the night flying, are the layovers (when people are awake) enjoyable? What are some of the better and worst layovers?

5. Is this a good place to be or is it a stopover for a better IT or BA/Virgin gig? Do the current pilots enjoy flying for DHL UK?

6. Lastly, do most of the UK contingent live in the EMA area or is there a lot of commuting?

Thanks in advance. Cheers

Maude Charlee
16th May 2005, 10:15
Hi Riker,

I'm not with DHL so I stand to be corrected, but having been in regular contact with them, this is the info I have.

1. No type rating required, and DHL recruit from all kinds of backgrounds. There does not appear to be any favoured 'old boys network' on the go. DHL pay for the rating and bond you for 3 years.

2. I think all the flying from EMA is at night.

3. Leipzig shouldn't affect EMA, as I understand the intention was for it to replace most of the business at Brussels. EMA tends to handle all the trans-Atlantic freight, with BRU presumably doing something different.

4. Not sure about layovers, but they operate to something like 50 destinations from EMA, so quite a varied schedule.

5. Depends what your idea of a good gig is. Flying seems to be limited to 300hrs a year, with the aim of days off coming as blocks (I think they were talking about 8 on 6 off recently), and limited weekend working. All commands from internal candidates (3000hrs required) and I suppose the money, for FOs at least, isn't so bad for what you actually do.

6. Pilots live all over the place. No requirement from the company to be living at EMA, so long as you are available for duty/standby within 1 hour. Lots of crews apparently just commute into the area when they are required.

Hopefully some of the DHL guys will provide a more accurate/detailed update for you.

wheelbarrow
17th May 2005, 11:22
I did 20 months or so at DHL in the relatively early days. 2002-2004. I was an FO. Came with a rating and left with a rating.

I was lucky. I hardly ever worked weekends. The work was tiring, however my roster was stable(ish)...that said a lot of guys got messed about.

Money OK, but never gonna be any better really.

Pension not good.

Hotels were on the whole OK, some were particularly nice (Villa Grazioli, Rome) some not so nice (Great Southern, Shannon Airport). It all depended on how much sleep you can get as to how much sightseeing you could do.

Time to command was short if you had hours (I didn't and I got offered a modern type and final salary pension, so I left...reluctantly). I believe now the command time is a lot higher.

The guys on the line, most managers and all trainers were good and fair. In fact the management is now IMHO a lot better.

I lived in Cambridge and commuted. Never got called out off standby once and had no problems with distance.

Most guys enjoy it, but it is a different life and there is NO glamour...believe me!

At the end of the day (no pun intended), permanent nights will age you badly. Do your research and see if you fancy it.

A 3 year bond and big debt is not good if you decide you hate it after 6 months. And a lot of people did just that.

postern
18th May 2005, 00:03
Ricker

DHL one of the better jobs in the UK. Is 80% night flying,however now summer is upon us more daylight sectors. One tends to start on a Sunday afternoon and would return to EMA on Thurs possibly Fri, or start on a Mon night 2300 ish and finish back at EMA fri night/sat morning 0300ish.

As an F/o you would not be working that hard probably 12ish days off per month plus when finishing at 0100 and starting late in the evening this really is an extra 2 days at home when on days off.

Leipzig will not change anything just commuting to there instead of BRU.

Excellent type to have on licence, you get the 767 for free aswell.

Salary £36k for year 1 then £41+ year 2. £2.30 flight pay per hour roughly £6k per yr.

Generally in bed by 6am sleep till lunchtime and leave 8pm ish back to BRU,EMA or CGN then on someplace else.

All the big airports in Europe,the warmer sunnier ones are served by our colleagues in Belgium.

Generally a happy ship, some F/o's recently got into BA so some vacancies. People recently recruited have been slightly older and turboprop freight background. Them in HR worried about youngsters movin on.

Ideal if you arent bothered about lots of hours and don't mind long turnarounds.

Management are nice bunch.

Gotta be within an 1and 1/2 hours of EMA on SBY. People live all over the UK and Europe so you'd probably not have to relocate.

Hope this helps.

***Wheelbarrow u figured out that Airbus yet??***

Maude Charlee
18th May 2005, 19:40
Pay for low hours newbies not quite in line with the last post, as in year 1 you would only get £26K, but years 2 and 3 are in line with the above post (£35K and £42K). However, not much chance of getting in fresh out of flight school, as they have a slight imbalance in the experience levels at the mo, with too many relatively inexperienced F/Os not yet ready for command. Would agree with the comments about the management though, certainly the guys I've met so far have been a good bunch and refreshingly open about life and prospects with DHL.

wheelbarrow
18th May 2005, 21:42
Postern

Well, I can fly the Airbus, but I don't understand it! But, then again, does anyone?!?

Good luck to you.

Honest Fr@nk
20th May 2005, 10:35
Ive been there 2 years now and I love it. Travel to and from work at night so no queing round the M25. £45K + approx £5k flight pay a year. Some good weekends away. There has been a good number of crews in BRU each weekend if you are there so there will always be drinking partners. Weekends in Dublin, madrid, Porto, Cologne(not so much now). Time to command still 3000 if suitable(thats the managements get out clause),but you shouldnt expect a command just cos you have the hours. There will always be moaners wherever you go. Generally a happy ship. F/O's are not really working that hard at the moment. Some capts will always say they are busy?

postern
21st May 2005, 01:08
Maude Charlee

I do apologise for not being absolutely correct in my previous posting you obviously know far more than I. Pardon me I only work there. YES if you join as a cadet they only pay you 28k in the first year.

The company will not be taking any more of these in the imeadiate future, however relevant ME time never say never.

Nobody likes a smart arse and they get a reputation.

Maude Charlee
21st May 2005, 11:48
Permanent nights make you grumpy and over sensitive too. ;) :p

CV Donator
24th May 2005, 16:16
I spoke to the HR department recently and was told 3000hrs min for First Officer, is this correct. I currently have 1800 at least half of that in Boeings. Would I get a look in? Thanks.

Joe le Taxi
24th May 2005, 17:20
Would someone care to divulge how the DHL hiring department is contacted.

There was some talk a while back that command requirements had risen to 4500h. What was the outcome? Assuming they wouldn't give a 3500h boeing pilot (not 757) with 500h jet comand time a direct entry command, how long would it take to get there?

How long are the trips? Leave? Pension? Etc, etc. All info gratefully received.

Min Drag
24th May 2005, 17:30
JLT,

DHL HR along with all other airlines' contact info can be found on www.ppjn.com

Scroll to the bottom of the homepage and take the link Europe then Charter.

Best of luck

MD:ok:

Honest Fr@nk
24th May 2005, 19:04
joe;

From the ops manual. Direct entry commander; previously qualified as capts of the aircraft type to be flown by DHL-minimum of 4000 hours.
Not qualified on type-5000hours with 1000 hours on aircraft with take off weight over 40,000kgs.

But they are not employing direct entry commanders at the moment or in the forseable future as they have quite a few f/o's who have the reqd 3000 hours necessary for internal promotion.

How long would it take you if you joined as an f/o, who knows. There will be 80+ f/o's ahead of you. Some with the hours some without, some will leave, some wont. Your guess is as good as mine.

Trips can be between 1-5 days away. Some pilots are doing a trial of 9 on 5 off.

Leave-42 days.

Pension-debatable. Ive only just joined it. And not knowing much about it- pass.