PDA

View Full Version : Prestwick name change???

WOWBOY
15th May 2005, 17:37
Seeing the refurbishment that is going on at prestwick airport it could be a good idea to give the airport a name change>

To:
Prestwick Ayrshire International Airport??
Or something simular.......

Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'
15th May 2005, 17:48
I believe that the Scottish and Aviation press have already been toying with the name of 'Robert Burns International Airport'. Apparently inspired from the naming of Liverpool airport after John Lennon.

Cheers

ACA

GoEDI
15th May 2005, 17:57
I can't see them ditching Glasgow from the name! Especially with the recent road improvements bringing Glasgow even closer.

Jordan D
15th May 2005, 18:09
Personally, I like I can't believe it's not Glasgow Airport. Has a certain ring to it!

I'll get my coat.

Jordan

Richard Taylor
15th May 2005, 18:36
Buckfast International...:E

Caslance
15th May 2005, 18:44
Royal Troon International? :E

rentaghost
15th May 2005, 20:28
Adamton-Monkton International , sounds good to me!!

Dash-7 lover
15th May 2005, 21:11
Glasgow - West??? or in Ryanair's case - ' Southampton North'

Jordan D
15th May 2005, 21:33
Dash-7 - in that same vain how about Edinburgh West or Aberdeen South West

I'll get my coat (again).

Jordan

Findo
15th May 2005, 22:44
They have dropped the "International" as most of their services are international and that is self evident. Now just Glasgow Prestwick and a snazzy pure dead brilliant corporate colour scheme.

GrahamK
16th May 2005, 11:20
Whats the deal with the Pure Dead Brilliant slogan anyway?

WOWBOY
16th May 2005, 18:27
Personally I feel they should drop Glasgow from their name??

Richard Taylor
16th May 2005, 18:38
They should drop AIRPORT from their name...;) :p

Actually,RABBIE BURNS Intl sounds :ok:

PPRuNe Radar
16th May 2005, 21:13

Maybe they are waiting for the London airports to lead the way ??

Prestwick to Glasgow : 28 miles

London Gatwick to London : 28 miles

London Luton to London : 35 miles

London Stansted to London : 38 miles

London Southend to London : 42 miles

CHIVILCOY
17th May 2005, 17:15
I can't see them dropping the Glasgow part either. If they did it would have to be renamed Prestwick "where the hell is that" Airport.!!

Runway 31
17th May 2005, 19:13
It decending into the usual Glasgow is best and the rest don't deserve to exist type thread.

CHIVILCOY
17th May 2005, 19:57
My remark was certainly not made as an anti Prestwick pro GLA jibe, as a matter of fact I have fond memories of the place.

Realistically it suits the owners to include the Glasgow part for marketing purposes and I am sure Ryanair would be none too pleased without Glasgow somewhere in the name.

silverknapper
17th May 2005, 22:20
I used to hate it being called Glasgow. But it probably takes the same time to get a train from PIK terminal into Glasgow as it does getting the bus to Paisley then onto a train!!
Good point about the London airports Radar!!

Jordan D
18th May 2005, 00:45
PPRuNe Radar - to which point in London are you measuring distances from?

Jordan

Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'
18th May 2005, 08:38
Silverknapper,

Not for much longer. The new development plans that are being posted all around GLA airport show a brand new rail link from where the old NCP car park currently stands providing a direct link into Glasgow city! That'll definitely shave a few minutes off the trip. Also, shows the Brit Regional hangar and Loganair ops building being demolished for new 'heavy jet' stands, with Logan being moved elsewhere, either on or off the airport. Watch this space.....

Cheers

ACA

aeulad
18th May 2005, 08:45
Prestwick has clearly become a great success. It is Glasgow's 'Stansted' and it flourishes with low fares flights. Ryanair have seen this potential and have developed the place into an international gateway to the area, especially for inbound visitors. A name change would be great, revitalise the place a bit. Glasgow Ayrshire International I think is a good one.

Regards

Mike

PPRuNe Radar
18th May 2005, 09:41
PPRuNe Radar - to which point in London are you measuring distances from?

I used the AA route planner. If you want it as the crow flies, then that is interesting but irrelevant, unless you are in a helicopter. (Prestwick is 22NM)

You could also measure and compare it by train journey time to the 'centre' of the city if you prefer. Just make sure you add in the 'Tube' transfer times from the London terminus to the 'centre' of the town (seems to be Trafalgar Square according to the AA). In the case of Glasgow, it's a 5 minute walk from the railway station to George Square.

The point still remains; our capital city has set a precedent by the out of town airports using the city name. Glasgow Prestwick seem to have an equal case for doing so as well.

skyman771
18th May 2005, 11:35
Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha',

I see that you have touched on a the basis for a solution
:D
"Brit Regional hangar and Loganair ops building being demolished for new 'heavy jet' stands" presume that these op's can be relocated "down the road" ie at PWK, then PWK can become "Glasgow Regional" with all the low cost & smaller local operators, Ryanair etc. Then GLA can become "Glasgow International" with the proposed heavy jet stands being utilised to accommodate further intercontinental routes as oposed to expansion at EDI.....................
Now that should just about keep everyone happy (not !).

Axel-Flo
18th May 2005, 16:27
IMHO (worth little I agree) I don't care what they call it as long as they don't shorten the runway so I can still get my Jet in there and visit home....:ok:

phiman
18th May 2005, 20:51
Should simply go back to the original, Prestwick Airport.

kpiko3
18th May 2005, 22:09

That is like saying drop The London from Heathrow.

Or maybe drop Glasgow from Abbotsinch airport:hmm:

amanoffewwords
18th May 2005, 22:20
I bet Ryanair would like to call it London-North or something like that.:p

Jordan D
19th May 2005, 00:05
PPRuNe Radar - thanks for the answer .... as an aside, distances to London should be measured from Leciester Sq, which is the official measurement point to all other cities (if you visit the centre of the square, you'll see the distances to all the other Commonwealth capitals).

Jordan

BALIX
19th May 2005, 08:16
Seems like they will be sticking with Glasgow Prestwick...

Quite why they feel the need to add 'Pure Dead Brilliant' logos God only knows. I wonder on what criteria they base that statement :confused: Don't get me wrong, as my 'local' airport I'm glad it is doing well but, like most airports, it is little more than a bus stop.

10002level
19th May 2005, 08:42
Glasgow Billy Connolly International Airport

Jordan D
19th May 2005, 09:20
Glasgow Golfers Airport?

Jordan

Groundloop
19th May 2005, 10:22
Following Liverpool's lead:-

Glasgow Elvis Presley International?!!!

im757
19th May 2005, 12:46
if today's papers are to be believed it will be "Max Security Central"

GoEDI
19th May 2005, 13:11
http://business.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=299&id=545392005

:O :p

nef
19th May 2005, 17:45
I have to agree, it's a pretty naff slogan. If they want to rename PIK they could try "Micheal O'Leary International"?

Kato747
19th May 2005, 18:15
RADAR:

You missed London Manston or "Kent International"

codpiece face
20th May 2005, 11:35
I do find this all annoying, just because you all work in the aircraft industry you pretty much know where the airports are located. However joe public does not especially when travelling from overseas, this country is not the only place to do it anyhow, for example EWR, SFB even MUC i think it should not be all about distance but transfer times. PIK now have the M77 extension in place and the journey is far better then it was city centre (KB) to terminal in 25 minutes.

Oh and by the way the plan i have seen for the rail station at Glasgow has it elevated with the terminus between arran court offices and the new multi storey ( where the walkway from the staff car park is ) this would explain why they are spending so much on the walkway between term 1 & 2 as this will be the joint mass transit entrance

SCOT747
24th May 2005, 11:17
Does anybody have any images of the newly refurbed termianl or been since? Wats it like?