PDA

View Full Version : bmibaby expansion?

caa19
15th May 2005, 11:46
dont think anyone has picked up on this yet, and the people who i know that crew for baby couldnt provide any light so thought would make a post...

bmibaby press release 05 05 05
----------------------------------------

bmibaby continues growth with new aircraft orders - low-cost airline to lease three additional Boeing 737-300 series aircraft
bmibaby, the award-winning airline with tiny fares, announced today (4 May 2005) that it is expanding its aircraft fleet with the long-term lease of three additional Boeing 737-300 series aircraft.
bmibaby will take delivery of the new aircraft in Autumn 2005, increasing the fleet from 16 to 19 aircraft.
The additional aircraft will help the airline continue its rapid growth in the UK and European market. During 2005 the low-cost airline plans to carry close to four million passengers on more than 50 UK and European routes, from five UK bases.

So this appears to be an expansion at the current bases with EXTRA aircraft rather than just replacements for the -500s, so anyone know what new routes can we expect, will they replace any of the routes dropped at EMA?

bmibaby.com
15th May 2005, 13:41
It hasn't been revealed where these new aircraft are going to go, however more information about the proposed expansion of bmibaby should be revealed next week alongside the report for bmi's new business model. We will be able to see the new direction that the airline will be going for. To do a bit of stirring, because we all know that's what PPrune is great at, the rumour has it that at least one of our bases will be transferred back to mainline.

My guess, if this is true, is that Manchester will be the base to go back to bmi. The airline will be able to use the various facilities that bmi has to offer (connections, improved economy service, frequent-flyer programme & business class) to get one up over Jet2, who have been expanding their majorly recently, as well as British Airways CitiExpress who seem to be cutting back in certain markets where they're up against Jet2. Only other base where I could imagine this being useful would be EMA, but this was baby's home base, so not sure if that would be the case ... we'll wait & see!

On standby
15th May 2005, 13:51
It looks like CWL will be expanded (finally) to 3A/C (again) + Air Wales still doing some routes.

That was last time I met with the MD. Not been announced yet and I don't know when/if the official announcement will be.

WOWBOY
15th May 2005, 14:16
Do you think we will see Scottish expansion?

GW76
15th May 2005, 15:29
Going by their current trend of withdrawal from Scottish routes, it hardly seems likely

GoEDI
15th May 2005, 15:51
Going by their current trend of withdrawal from Scottish routes, it hardly seems likely

Not sure what your definition of Scottish is, but their last actions at EDI have certainly been addition and not removal.

I.C.Nosignal
15th May 2005, 16:21
MME could also be a possibility for expansion in the next 12 months

Hood
15th May 2005, 16:25
According to the MD on a recent visit to Wales: 1 A/C to CWL, MAN, MME. However, I understand it is just a rumour he started himself. MME were promised 2 A/C by baby but only one is operating MME. baby have incredible problems manning MME so it's anyones guess. and there has been a strong rumour amoungst the crew that MME will close, but OPS DIR has told the MME crew that their base is safe. Manchester is the most successful base so far for baby but doubtful will be a bmi base, they just could not do it at the cost baby does. Jet2 at MAN is not not an issue for baby and Scottish routes ex MAN are definately up there on the most likely to happen next agenda.
EMA may get smaller with more emphasis on BHX. It's irrelevant where baby 's HQ is.

bmibaby.com
15th May 2005, 18:46
I only heard that it was going to be one current baby base that was going to go back to mainline, so naturally assumed it would be Manchester. Main reason is that unlike almost all of the Star Alliance no-frills subsidiaries, bmibaby does not allow through check-in to mainline flights. If bmi wants to make Manchester a serious base, then it needs to find its marketplace, and having two brands offering a handful of routes each is confusing to Joe Public.

My only other guess, which I must say sounds a lot better, would be Nottingham East Midlands. Over the last year we've seen Brussels & Paris Charles de Gaulle go back to mainline (well, regional) and I wouldn't be surprised if other business routes that also have a fair amount of leisure traffic - like Amsterdam - also end up going back to bmi. With a full-service operation, bmi might have a competitive advantage over the other airlines at EMA, and it would be great if we had a hub carrier from Star come in too. Bring on Lufthansa ... :)

phil_2405
15th May 2005, 19:50
EMA may get smaller with more emphasis on BHX.

I have heard that we can expect further baby reductions at NEMA. I think BHX is def baby's principal base in the Midlands now.:confused:

GW76
15th May 2005, 20:07
Not sure what your definition of Scottish is, but their last actions at EDI have certainly been addition and not removal
I think you are well aware of my definition of Scottish.
The removal of flights from GLA, and the reduction from 737 to props at PIK is my definition of Scottish reduction.
A twice daily additon from EDI to BHX is hardly setting the heather on fire. But I take your point.

GoEDI
15th May 2005, 22:06
They also added another daily CWL-EDI rotation upping it to 3x daily, not as recent as the BHX flights, but an increase never-the-less. So more, withdrawal at Glasgow then?

On standby
16th May 2005, 10:37
GW76

Reason for reduction to GLA was airport charges against yield.

PIK to turboprop was reduction in 737 at CWL and loadfactor. Route still operates but now profitably.

ALLMCC
16th May 2005, 12:12
Seem to recall BMI talking about expansion plans from BHD some time back and Manchester was specifically mentioned - since then Baby started from BFS and nothing more was heard from BMI.

Coincidentally heard a rumour recently that Baby were considering stopping the BFS so perhaps there is something afoot.

eastern wiseguy
16th May 2005, 15:49
SEPTEMBER 2003

BmiBaby - BFS-BHD

Heard last night form a previously VERY reliable source that this WILL happen early 2004 after runway/taxiway work at BHD completed & terminal alterations made to accommodate them.

I always like to see him trot out the same rubbish week after week ...bit like pulling on an old comfortable sock.
If you like I can go back further.

CHANGE THE RECORD

ALLMCC
16th May 2005, 16:10
Once again you haven't taken the time to read my post properly - I was not suggesting that Baby were moving to BHD - if you care to read the post again. you will see that I was referring to BMI starting to MAN from BHD and Baby stopping BFS - MAN.

TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT SCENARIOS!!

pipertommy
17th May 2005, 06:34
The operation in to PIK is over priced!Never has any price promotions on the route either!Everytime i went with baby the GLA the flight was close to full capacity with the 737 on the route.The easy flights have a large percentage of Welsh travellers on them out of Bristol,is this not turning money away?

alterego
17th May 2005, 17:42
Pipertommy

As people have stated above. GLA was too costly because of high airport cost against the yield Baby could get from the route. Simple maths, nothing else.