PDA

View Full Version : psychological requirement of cadets?

cx007
15th May 2005, 11:08
Hello all, I am going to sit a cadet interview very soon. I want to know what psychological qualities they are looking for.
I can think of several things they want:
1. the passion of flying,
2. confidence
3. determination to overcome all difficulties of the training
4. team work
5. calm head and appropriate response to difficult situations
What else are they looking for and how can i show them i have those qualities druing the interview? I mean i really love flying and thos big birds, but how i can know how will i response to emergency that i have never encounter?
I have only 2 hours of trial lesson on a pa38, studied a lot to preapre for the interview. Can someone please give me advises please?
Thanks.

fastjet2k
16th May 2005, 19:45
All airline recruiters are looking for a number of things, one of the important ones being Captaincy potential. They want to recruit you to eventually take command of a multi-million pound piece of equipment, along with the lives of the other crew and the passengers. You will be asked to give examples of when you've been a leader, when you've worked in a team based environment. You will probably also be asked more specific questions based around other answers you give so make sure all your answers are honest (may sound stupid but some people do lead themselves into a dead end by making things up on the spot!). If you feel you cannot give an answer at that time, be honest and ask to return to the question later (this would be a last resort but is ultimately better than saying something untrue/irrelevant for the sake of saying something). One good tip is to ensure you've read and re-read your application form so you are prepared for questions related to things you've written on there.

Another thing you will be being assessed on is personality. You could be the most qualified guy/girl in the selection process, but if you possess the personality of a potato then you're not suited to the job!! They'll be asking themselves if they would want to sit with you in the flight deck for 9 hours, do you have the ability to be professional and sociable at the same time... Ultimately, be yourself - you'll be far more relaxed this way and this will reflect positively in your interaction with the interviewers.

It would be very easy to write pages and pages on interview technique but the truth it, everybody does things differently. I'm sure there is plenty of information available on Pprune regards interviews but there are also plenty of books available that can help you prepare further (see www.transair.co.uk for some available). The things I've written here are just two of a number of things they're looking for (dedication and commitment being equally important) but these are two key factors of any pilot selection interview.

Good luck! FJ2k

Edited to apologise to any potatoes that may have been offended by this post..... sorry!

Piltdown Man
19th May 2005, 15:07
It depends who is paying. If you are paying, I'd suggest that you have passed (when you sign the cheque!). If someone else is paying, they will want to be sure that they are getting their money's worth. ie You'll be able to learn, pass exams, look presentable (clean shoes and fingernails), you're not going to nick the miniatures off the plane (like every other bugger) and be a proper representative of the company. Split second reflexes and steely nerves are not so important as doing nothing for a few moments and then touching the right switch, first time.