PDA

View Full Version : I am a Marmite Addict...Please Help!!

Ontariotech
15th May 2005, 00:15
I just cannot help it.

My mum just came back from the UK. Brought me back a big jar of Marmite. The only problem is.....I felt it was not big enough. Since I was a kid living in Chester, I was brought up on Marmite on toast. Lots of it.

Now, at the age of 31, I have this on-going desire for Marmite on tosat...ALL THE TIME. I can eat it for brekfast with a hot cup of tea....for lunch with a glass of milk.....and for dinner, I would make 4 slices of tosat, with Marmite....I just cannot stop.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can increase my intake of Marmite????

Cheers

Jerricho
15th May 2005, 00:27
Slight drift question for you mate.

Do you like Vegemite?

Ozzy
15th May 2005, 00:38
I take it the beagles oop north don't like marmite.

Ozzy

Kaptin M
15th May 2005, 00:50
"Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can increase my intake of Marmite????"

Just eat it straight from the jar, and stop bulking out with the toast!

However, once you grow up and your taste buds mature, you will then move on to the original black spread
http://www.rpotor.com/reveblog/vegemite.jpg

Lon More
15th May 2005, 01:34
Somone once told me it was made from the dead yeast used in the beer brewing process, so find your local friendly micro-brewer.

BlueDiamond
15th May 2005, 01:40
Be a man ... change to Vegemite. :E

Ontariotech
15th May 2005, 01:54
Vegemite....never tried it.

Is it the same?

Does it have that salty strong taste that makes the roof of your mouth tingle, and the saliva glands in the back of the mouth work overtime?

I really need that dark black salty taste, the odour filling the nostrils making the nose hairs curl.

Straight from the jar.....:ok: Always.

RiskyRossco
15th May 2005, 02:24
'Fraid there's no cure, Ontariotech. You simply let the fever run its course. ;)

If enough cheese and bread available in the pantry "mousetraps" are good.

Take slices of buttered bread, grill the unbuttered side (butter side down on baking sheet).
Spread liberal Vegemite on buttered side - now suitably melted - then slices of tomato, then sliced cheese.
Grill cheese side. Accompany with strong mug o' char.
:ok: :ok:
Can also, if so inclined, add thin-sliced onion atop the cheese before grilling.

As a cooking additive Vegemite ok. . . ok. . . Marmite is also ex. with stews and gravy.

Gastronomic notes from Antip shift.

:D

henry crun
15th May 2005, 02:37
Don't listen to the Aussies Ontariotech, they eat anything down there.

Vegemite is crap and not even a poor substitute for Marmite. :)

Avtrician
15th May 2005, 02:44
Ontariotech

Vegemite makes Marmite pale into tasteless papp, and make hair grow where its never grown before.

Please Note, I may be slightly biased towards Vegemite.

ChrisVJ
15th May 2005, 03:43
All our family have a standing order to returnfrom UK trips with a couple (minimum) of large pots of Marmite. No Marmite, don't come back!

Desert Nomad
15th May 2005, 04:35
Under no circumstances ever eat vegemite.

As the vegemite ad says "made in, by and for Australians". I think that says enough really.

There is only one true spread and that is Marmite. You either love it or hate it. Same holds true for the vegemite.

Avtrician
15th May 2005, 04:45
From research that I have conducted, Only Ozzys ( or those who have lived here for more than ten Yrs) can eat Vegemite. All them furrinerswill have a taste and spit it out.

Note to self:- Contact Dept of Imigration, we can get rid of expensive passports and computers at Cutoms posts, all persons entering the country to be given a vegemite sandwich. Those who cant eat it will go to a large cage for processing , the Ozzies can just come in and go home.

Also good for finding ETs (Aliens).

cavortingcheetah
15th May 2005, 06:12
:) Ontariotech.

Sort of the same problem. you should try balsamic vinegar, the older the better, on vanilla ice cream!
You might need to hold back on Marmite before your next medical.
Quite apart from its saline content, Marmite is rich in Riboflaivine.
An excess of this vitamin in the body can cause a false reading for blood positive on a urine reagent stick. There is, I believe, no harm in a vitamin B excess as the body excretes it but you do not want your ME to regard you as a glomerulonephritic, sanguinivorous Vampyre.
By the bye, if you do ever want to drink fresh blood, knock it all back in one draught, otherwise it becomes rather stringy in the back of your throat. This is not a pleasant sensation and can lead to choking which can necessitate a tracheotomy and that can be messy in the moonlight.
Off to the woods and the tombstones.:\

Krystal n chips
15th May 2005, 08:37
Get yourself into rehab ----or find a decent therapist pdq ! :eek:

The substance should carry a Gov't Health Warning---same as Nitric acid does---and should really be only used for lubricating Tank tracks with--and even then as a last resort.

Have a friend in Detroit who resided in the UK for a while--and took the addiction back to the States with her--never been the same lady since --sad, but true:D

My reasons for the above should really have been posted on the "lies you were told as a child" thread--in this case "eat it, it's good for you ! "----I beg to disagree here---quite an interesting "war of attrition" at the time as I recall !. :hmm:

15th May 2005, 09:07
The Aussies tried making beer, and ended up with Fosters.

Then they had a go at making Marmite, and ended up with Vegemite.
Need I say more:yuk:

If you can't get the real thing, Vegemite will fill a temporary craving, but only short term.

Rainboe
15th May 2005, 10:29
Marmite's the ONE! You can pretend you like Vegemite, and smile at hopeful Australian faces and say 'great, Sport!', but it's a sad, sad copy.

But whatever made them show that TV advert with a giant rolling pile of ordure rolling down the street devouring people who jump in (ie 'you cannot resist a pile of Marmite'). Gave children nightmares apparently and it was pulled.

Kaptin M
15th May 2005, 10:40
It's doubtful that Marmite is an authentic British concoction.
From the "Marmite FAQ" website:

"Where does the name "Marmite" come from?
A marmite is a French stock pot or cooking potólike the one pictured on the front of the jar and shaped somewhat like the jar itself. The name of the French pot is pronounced "mar-MEET." The product name may have been derived from a famous French soup, petite marmite."

And from the same website - proving that Marmite is for a man's man......:
"In 2003, Marmite launched a controversial ad campaign featuring a lifeguard whose snack of marmite and cheese is interrupted by the call of duty. He saves a another man's life with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. When the drowning man recovers consciousness, he grabs the lifeguard's head and begins kissing him passionately, stirred by desire for the taste of Marmite on the lifeguard's lips."
http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/images/marmite4.gif

Vegemite DEFINITELY doesn't claim to convert heterosexual men......

Ontariotech
15th May 2005, 11:20
So if I have this right, vegimite is a poor substitute, but will do in a pinch. I think I have to try vegimite, as I never have.

And as I recall, Terry Waite was it? The jurno that was held prisoner for a number of years? All the details escape me, and I am too honest to search the web.

He was asked once, "What was the first thing you did when you got back to the UK?"

And I believe he replied, he had Marmite on toast.

Mmmmmmmm....I am eating some spread thick on buttered toast as we speak.

Jerricho
15th May 2005, 12:04
Not a poor substitute Ontario, marmite is like a blended whisky, vegemite is a malt :E

The Aussies tried making beer, and ended up with Fosters

I think you'll find "fosters" is the Aboriginal word for "cat's piss". No Aussie would drink that swill.

Kaptin M
15th May 2005, 12:08
I think you'll find "fosters" is the Aboriginal word for "cat's piss". No Aussie would drink that swill. It's exported worldwide.

The U.K. is the biggest consumer :ok:

Jerricho
15th May 2005, 12:12
I don't think the word is exported Kaptin. Isn't it amazing what you can make the Brits or Septics drink when you use Paul Hogan in some really dodgy advertising.

"Throw another shrimp on the barbie".................they're effin prawns for chrisakes, Hogan you hoser.

Capn Notarious
15th May 2005, 12:25
No doubt about it, Marmite has no substitute. No point in debating any further. When the pot is empty swill it out with boiling water add to gravy.

Kaptin M
15th May 2005, 12:41
You're right, Notarious, it's pretty droll stuff.
After all, who ever heard of a MAR-GINE-A-MITE sandwich :confused:
(Now substitute VEGEMITE for Marmite)

er82
15th May 2005, 13:02
am more of a bovril girl myself...........

Avtrician
15th May 2005, 13:14
There is no substitute for Vegemite, ( unfortunately now owned by the yanks but the only place it can be sold is Oz)

You eat it if you can get it or do with out.

As for Fosters, no Ozzie would drink it. they will drink any other beer first (except maybe Budwieser, even cats piss tastes better than that), and if faced with Fosters or water, I will take the water.:E

Jerricho
15th May 2005, 14:04
No point in debating any further

I think perhaps you've been into the Fosters there Notarious :p

Foreigner's guide to Vegemite (http://members.ozemail.com.au/~macinnis/vegemite.htm)
(Also tells you how to make Lamingtons ;) )

Loki
15th May 2005, 14:10
Sorry, has to be sandwich spread for me!

Solid Rust Twotter
15th May 2005, 14:46
Vegemite is the stuff scraped out of the crack of Gandhis loincloth. Marmite will do in a pinch but Bovril/OXO is the real thang.:ok:

Just prefer the meaty flavour as opposed to salty nut cutlets, mad vegetarians on bicycles delight.:p

ORAC
15th May 2005, 15:03
Marmite (http://www.florencemeats.com/index1.htm) in Ontatio...... $4.99 for 125g.... Not sure what all that other stuff is though... :confused:

Krystal n chips
15th May 2005, 18:06
I rest my case concerning the real use of Marmite !--para. 2 below refers :p ---rest of the link is quite entertaining as well !.

http://www.tallrite.com/LightRelief/marmite.htm

Capn Notarious
16th May 2005, 14:48
I think perhaps you've been into the Fosters there Notarious

Not a chance matey. A fine red Merlot maybe.

Carry0nLuggage
16th May 2005, 16:27
Avtrician:
and make hair grow where its never grown before

I think you'll find that's ageing not Vegemite.

Darth Nigel
16th May 2005, 17:16
Isn't Vegemite classified as a biological weapon under the Geneva and Hague Conventions? Which is why it's being made in the US, since all true 'Mercans know that these foreign treaties don't apply to the land of the free.

And the reason it's popular in the Oz is because we Brits wuz testing it down at Woomera on rats. Aforementions rats grew to be fecking huge, with pouches in front to carry the Vegemite home to the little'uns, and escaped into the wild.

These escaped mutant rats were killed by the locals and eaten.

Lingustic notes:
"Woomera" is onamatapoeic, and roughly represents the noise a rat would make when first fed Vegemite.

"Kangaroo" is an Aboriginal word meaning "mutated rat" or "I'm not eatin' that, mate!"

tall and tasty
16th May 2005, 17:50
Ontariotech

ohhhhhhh we should start a marmite addict fan club!!

Extra ways to enjoy.
(1) You can add it to your mince when preparing it instead of an oxo cube or worchester sauce.
(2) Drink it as a hot drink just add to water and it is really nice on a cold day.
(3) Add it to soup bases............... the list is endless.

But I still love eating it straight from the jar, have since I was a little girl and where others have piccs of faces covered in Chocolate, I have pics of me covered in marmite.

as for vegemite sorry I just can't like it but I have tried ever so hard to

TnT

ExSimGuy
16th May 2005, 17:54
Reminds me of a thread a few years ago, when the relative merits of the two "competing" products were thoroughly debated between the Poms and the Aus-bleedin-Strailins!

A sweet innocent from Texas (Judy T - are you still around?) wondered what this was all about, so, a couple of months later, she was hitching a ride with Mc-D to LHR and they both came to a "mini-bash" (loads of beer and curry - again, my apologies to BFU for the effect that had on me in the taxi to Victoria) - I digress . . .

Had the opportunity to buy a jar of each but the only place it can be sold is Oz in a supermarket in Worthing, so took a "gift pack" to Judy

Back in Texas - sorry TEXAS - she organised an "A-B test" with her work-mates at some grass strip called DFW ( ;) ) and the unanimous response was "they both taste like sh1ght"

Oh well, Septics never had any taste, did they.

For the record, when the local store runs out of Marmite (frequently!) I wil accept the second best, but my daughter in PHL insists that I only come to visit her if I bring an offering - the BIGGEST jar of Marmite that I can find (and yes, she HAS been to Aussie!)

(and yes, Fosters is only marginally more drinkable than the usual sh1ghte that gets served in Septic pubs - thank goodness there's a few really good micro-breweries springing up in PHL- maybe I'll talk to one of them about buying their "spent yeast")

(maybe I'm rambling, the effects of the brewed grain with the Marmite source taken out ;)

Cheers :)

EMS R22
17th May 2005, 00:19
The simple fact is Vegemite is a cheap imitation of Marmite and will never be as good!

reynoldsno1
17th May 2005, 00:27
I will quite happily enjoy either Marmite (UK version) or Vegemite - I find them both very similar. There is also a NZ version of Marmite - sold as Marmite - but it is a pale version of the original and has sugar added, which is a desecration....

defiant
17th May 2005, 07:46
All you ever wanted to know about marmite...

The History of Marmite (http://www.ilovemarmite.com/marmite/marmite-history.asp)

Defiant

Argonautical
17th May 2005, 08:32
During sactions in Rhodesia we could not get Marmite (sob). There was a "home grown" version but it wasn't the same.

Cameronian
17th May 2005, 08:48
My addiction to Marmite began while at boarding school near Perth (the original one in Scotland!). Each table in the dining hall had a tray on which each boy from that table could put one jar of whatever took his fancy. The tray was stored in a cupboard outside the dining hall and was brought in for breakfast by the duly appointed "fag" - yes, it meant something different then.....
In 1968 I took a 1 lb jar of Marmite to school but had not finished it when I left in 1969 so it remained on the tray. I was back in 1983 for an old boys' shooting match against the school team, after which there was an invitation to tea. Something made me look in the cupboard on the way in and, lo and behold, there was my Marmite jar, identified with my school number, still on the tray! In the 14 years since my departure it must have been carried in to breakfast and out again 3500 times... The jar wasn't empty so that must say something, either for the moral character of the boys for not eating something that wasn't their's or perhaps about the popularity of Marmite! I left it and will check again in this milennium!

teeteringhead
17th May 2005, 09:13
Got one of these (http://www.fkmoore.co.uk/silver/large_image.asp?id={36C50A87-0247-4654-9A20-927E397AFF74}) (the little one) as a Christmas present.

Avtrician
17th May 2005, 13:16
Had to get a new Jar of Vegemite, No1 (and only) Son cleaned up the last one. Also got a large jar of Dick Smith Crunchy peanut Butter (Yummo). Ok its Dick Smith, I know, but at least its Oz produced and packaged (peanuts too). Not crap brought in and bottled here. Tastes good too. (believe hes working on a version of vegemite as well.)

Who would think, three pages of marmite /vegemite discussion, and in a pretty civilised manner as well.:ok: :ok:

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 14:47
I can fix that............

The simple fact is Vegemite is a cheap imitation of Marmite and will never be a good!

Bollocks.

:p

scrubed
17th May 2005, 15:13
Hi everybody, having been cruelly dissed and evicted from the Kylie thread, I thought I'd come and hang out here with you home-boys for a while.

So what are we talking about here?? Marmite?

Do people drill for marmite in Ontario? What about Vancouver?

Biggles Flies Undone
17th May 2005, 15:21
loads of beer and curry - again, my apologies to BFU for the effect that had on me in the taxi to Victoria
Thanks for reminding me about that, ExSim.... :yuk: :{

EMS R22
17th May 2005, 22:06
Jerricho

Thats for that!You are intitiled to your opinion ,even if it is
"bollocks"! :ok:

fleigle
17th May 2005, 22:21
Marmite is definately better than Vegemite, and I can buy both here in the SF area.
IMHO Vegemite tastes like its made from something greasy..... icky!:ugh:

Jerricho
17th May 2005, 23:17
Double bollocks

:p

Ontariotech
18th May 2005, 00:49
Scrubed:

Drilling for Marmite in Ontario?????
Where? When? What can I do to help the drilling????

Tall and Tasety:

Your name, in my opinion, coverts to:

Over 6" ft tall, and covered with Marmite?

Anyway, the fan club. Now that is an idea? I found once a website that was sort of similar to that. I will try and track it down, once I do, I will post the link.

Well, back to a hot cup of tea....and my Marmite on toast...YUM!! :p

Jerricho
18th May 2005, 00:50
Where? When? What can I do to help the drilling

You had best stop right there Ontario................ hook line and sinker mate.

Ontariotech
18th May 2005, 00:52
Someone beat us to it......I just registered. Oh...what fun is this...

I can talk to others about my addiction. Kinda like AA.

http://www.marmite.com/love/

Enjoy folks...

:ok:

scrubed
18th May 2005, 10:06
Come on "J", you KNOW this is what I do.

OT, I am not a marmite driller so don't know how best to "help the drilling" but I understand there's quite a marmite-drilling scene in Vancouver. Maybe go there and ask around...

I'd suggest dinner and a movie might be a good start.

ExSimGuy
19th May 2005, 10:16
Yes, BFU, an embarrassing ending to what was a fantastic day (evening). JTT and McD had a great welcome, and some interesting convos with TINSTAFL.

Did I tell you that I ended up sleepily travelling around "Southern Region" for most of the remainder of the night and ended up having to pay an excessive amount to a taxi to take me back from Lewis (I think!), after the railway closed down, to BSH

We gotta do it agin some time (preferably without the taxi;) )

(PS - I've "moderated" a bit these days, with a new, "school-teacher lady" in BAH. Cut down on "beer and curry" - I'm sure the curry was the problem :yuk: )