PDA

View Full Version : 100 Greatest War Films music

FunkyMunky
14th May 2005, 21:43
Does anyone know the name of the music used between films on this evenings "100 Greatest War Films" on Channel 4? It was used at the moments where the numbers come up, and the little 3d "war machines" (the spitfires and stuff) moved across.

It wasn't the pianoey one used sometimes (when the narrator was talking), but the guitary/strings one that came up between movies at the start of the programme and just before Cromwell and Land of Freedom.

I think I've heard it in an advert in the cinema, but I can't even remember what the advert was, so I'm stumped.

There was also a full-length playing of it on the end credits.

Cheers!

XXTSGR
15th May 2005, 05:03
Darn it - this thread isn't what I thought it was about - I was about to vote for (a) The Dambusters' March by Eric Coates and (b) The Battle of Britain music by William Walton.

BlueDiamond
15th May 2005, 06:00
If anyone has taped it, you could ask them to replay the credits (slowly) and the info should be there. Alternatively, just ring the studio and they should be able to tell you ... or at least tell you how to find out.

Whirlygig
15th May 2005, 06:23
Seriously Funky, if you e-mail Channel 4, they'll tell you. Might take a while to get a reply but I have regained my sleep by doing this :O

Cheers

Whirlygig

FunkyMunky
15th May 2005, 09:56
Will give that a try, thanks :D

I did stare at the credits attentively but there was no mention :(

Thanks anyways...will see how my email goes...

joe2812
15th May 2005, 11:33
I had a quick look to see if it was perhaps mentioned on the C4 site but no avail..

However there is a forum (http://community.channel4.com/6/ubb.x?a=frm&s=162603557&f=168607976) which might be worth asking on?

If you do find out, let me know!

ExSimGuy
15th May 2005, 20:08
Not what I thought either - but my vote is for "Burning Bridges" and Kelly's Heroes" (first watched it with my Dad many moons ago, but still enjoy it)

SpinSpinSugar
16th May 2005, 10:44
The title music for 633 Squadron for me!

Incidentally if anyone missed the coundown and is curious what made the cut, the full list is available from Channel 4 (http://www.channel4.com/film/newsfeatures/microsites/W/greatest_warfilms/results/100-96.html).

Cheers, SSS

FunkyMunky
16th May 2005, 17:58
Finally found it folks :O :D

It's called "In the house - In a heartbeat" and it's from the 28 Days Later soundtrack.

Thanks for the replies! :)

Maude Charlee
17th May 2005, 09:22
Guns Of Navarone at 14 and Das Boot only at 17!!!???

What sort of drooling morons compiled that list? :confused:

Cameronian
17th May 2005, 09:34
And Lawrence of Arabia at number 40!
Returning to the original thread, the theme tune to Lawrence of Arabia must be right up there with those of Dambusters, 633 Squadron, and the other greats.

tony draper
17th May 2005, 10:48
The Great Escape 3rd?? its a bloody cartoon with people in it.
:suspect:
The Lawrence of Arabia music was based on Voice of the Guns by err, thingy, writ by Jean Micheal Jarres dad one does believe.
:rolleyes:

Heatseeker
17th May 2005, 10:57
Havn't checked the list but the Dam Busters and 633 Squadron I always liked. However I always thought the very best music applied to a war movie was the theme to Platoon. Samuel Barbers Adagio for Strings must be about the most moving piece of music ever written - for anything.

H

Ontariotech
17th May 2005, 11:29
No no no...you have got it all wrong.

For the greatest music for a war movie you have only got two choices.

A) A Bridge Too Far....very British

B) Battle of Britain....again, very British

Hobgoblin
17th May 2005, 13:45
Apocalypse Now.

Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner.

Is there anything better? Maybe it was the sight of all those Hueys... ( definitely NOT a topless Robert Duval!)

ExSimGuy
19th May 2005, 10:24
I love to play that on the tape of my tractor system when doing grass (golf course) renovation in the Middle-East. The "3rd worlders" can't understand the point! (nor could Radio Dubai on a "phone-in" :)

But, alas, the tape deck got stolen last time the machine came through customs from UAE to Saudi (no - impossible, it must have just evaporated ;) )

Guess I'm going to have to get a new CD-player to repace it, with bigger speakers