PDA

View Full Version : EASA and STC's

Knold
14th May 2005, 20:55
Also posted in "Tech Log"

Hi all,

We’re importing an aircraft (MD83) which has two STCs that are hard to trace. If anyone has some help to give here it would be much appreciated.

The battle between EASA and FAA is making it really hard on companies like mine. EASA does not recognise FAA approved STCs while FAA (this far) recognises EASA ones.
The interesting part of this is that an STC done in let’s say Norway is not recognise because Norway is not a part of the EU. Now, should Norway decide to join the EU tomorrow, the STCs would automatically be recognised. Bureaucracy makes the world go round huh?

When checking EASAs website they have indeed a list of STCs, the only problem is that it is “coming soon” and has been “coming soon” for over 8 months.

Since EASA is unable to produce a list of approved STCs it is up to us as an operator to check
with each EASA member country if they already have the STC approved. Some of these countries does not have this information available or if they do it’s in the local language.

I’m looking for some help here.
Does anyone know of a resource where EASA approved STC’s and by which member country are listed?

The STCs are “ST01554AT” and “SA3165NM” in case anyone has specific knowledge about them.

Engineer
14th May 2005, 21:46
As EASA is in the process of replacing the JAA is it worth looking at the JAA (http://www.jaa.nl/certification/jar-21_stc.html) website for information.

If it is there it will eventually be incorporated into the EASA fold :O

Knold
15th May 2005, 13:24
Thank you for the reply Engineer

I've already seen the JAA information. The problem is it contains far from all STCs.

But like I said, any help is more than welcome... :ok:

Terraplaneblues
17th May 2005, 16:38
STC Number:
ST01554AT

This certificate issued to:
L3 Communications/Aviation Recorders

STC Holder's Address:
6000 Fruitville Road
Sarasota FL 34232
United States

Description of the Type Design Change:
Increasing data recording parameters to 17/18 parameters on digital flight data recorders (DFDR), for L-3 Com (formerly Loral/Fairchild) DFDR, and Allied Signal DFDR part numbers identified by this STC, Report No. 98-01-05, Rev. C, dated 02-19-98. The installation of this Flight Systems Inc., modification must be in accordance with Flight Systems Engineering, Inc., Report No. 98-01-05, Rev. C, dated 02-19-98, or later FAA approved revisions.

Application Date:
13/01/1998

Reissued, 07/08/2003

Responsible Office:
ACE-115A Atlanta Aircraft Certification Office Tel: (770) 703-6035

TC Number -- Make -- Model:
A6WE -- McDonnell Douglas Corporation -- MD-88

Full Text of STC:

Comments
Comments
Comments:

Hello Knold
Found one, cannot find SA3165NM
I\'ll carry on looking

Knold
17th May 2005, 17:09
Thank you Terraplaneblues, now if we could only find a EASA country where it has already been approaved.... :{

Terraplaneblues
18th May 2005, 10:12
Hello Knold

If it was me I would start here:Swedish CAA - Luftfartsverket LFV (http://www.lfv.se/templates/LFV_InfoSida_Bred____33940.aspx)

Swedish people generally speak excellent English

Swedish airlines have operated various models of the MD for a long time, very experienced.

Knold
18th May 2005, 19:31
He he, I am actually swedish and it's the people at the swedish CAA who're asking :=

Thanks though!