PDA

View Full Version : GF gives way for WY out of MCT

airmemphis
14th May 2005, 18:07
It seems not only is GF getting a hard time out of their AUH base (from EY) but WY are now stepping up the competition in MCT too.

GF announced a few months back a new MCT-CAI service with 4x weekly flights starting summer 2005 to compete against WY's 3x weekly and MS's 3x weekly flights. However WY have decided they'll be increasing their services to daily service effectively forcing GF to withdraw its plans.

Also Oman Air officials have announced their intentions to start MCT-LHR flights 'in the future' which will again bring them head to head with GF who already have 11x weekly flights on the route with A332s/A343s. (Note: WY currently codeshare with GF on the LHR flights).

Sources on zawya have indicated that GF will start to cut back operations at AUH and MCT over the coming period and concentrate operations out of BAH. GF have already announced they'll be terminating their AUH-BEY route following EY's entrance into the market.

ironbutt57
18th May 2005, 05:50
What aircraft are they flying to LHR with? :rolleyes:

airmemphis
18th May 2005, 10:55
ironbutt57, they don't fly to LHR yet....'in the future'

WY officials have stated they will purchase 3 B787s for the proposed new service to LHR, however some rumours suggest the airline will lease in other aircraft (possibly B767s/A330s) until the 787s are available.

At the moment the largest aircraft in the WY fleet are B738s.

whoateallthepies
18th May 2005, 22:33
'Scuse my ignorance but is WY code for Oman Air?
(I'm off to live in Oman shortly, just wondered who I might be travelling with).

airmemphis
18th May 2005, 23:04
Indeed WY is the IATA code for Oman Air...however the official name of the airline is Oman Aviation Services Co.

I hope you have a great time in Oman. My friend lived in Muscat for 5 years and said it's very beautiful place with friendly people. He said it was modern and clean yet with a lot of character (unlike a certain Gulf neighbour **cough cough** DXB)