PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT leave EK accomodation !

max6462
14th May 2005, 17:44
Another bad surprise,
Dubai is hell on earth despite the propaganda, communication-marketing bull***t.
You have no right here.
I gave a one month notice to my landlord. My tenancy contract ends on November. (6 months from now)
I had, as it is the use in Dubai, given him 2X6 months checks.
Guess what:
He's keeping the difference till November! And it is legal!
In the mean time, he's of course advertising with an outrageous increase:
Rent is just going from 53.000 Dhs/year to 63.000 Dhs/year !!!!
I just can't wait to leave this country.
Wish to those shortminded people to all go to...
Sorry just getting very very upset.

fastbuck
14th May 2005, 18:14
You gave the landlord two cheques. Your tenancy agreement expires in Nov. You still have one cheque which has not been deposited in the bank. Call the bank & stop the second cheque. Bring your dispute to the Rent Committee. Dont let the landlord get the better of you.

max6462
14th May 2005, 18:22
Well that 2nd check is allready on his account unfortunately.
How do I contact the rent commitee. Is it an Ek service?
'cause I am not one of their employee.
Any help wellcomed !

Desert Nomad
15th May 2005, 04:28
Rent committee found at the Municipality building in Deira opposite the Sheraton on the creek I believe.

Apparently the rent committee can only issue advice and is not binding on a land lord.

buttline
15th May 2005, 09:06
I'm not sure you can stop a cheque in Dubai. A cheque is more serious than in the West. You can be jailed if you write a cheque that bounces.

fastbuck
15th May 2005, 15:12
I am afraid you are correct. Stopping the cheque would be against the law. Maybe legal advise may be the best option.

Fox3snapshot
15th May 2005, 17:00
It is pretty standard practice unfortunately, happened to me in Oman as well. The trick is to get it tennanted yourself (get someone to take on the lease) and they normally come to the party. If it is in a popular area and will rent quickly you can take it to the tribunal and get the difference returned.

Unfortuanately in all the Arab states I have ventured to or considered venturing to this is commonplace, right up there with getting a car loan and hand writing out 48 cheques or more for each monthly payment...hmmm of course the electronic age has only arrived at Internet City it seems!!!!!

:yuk:

Left Wing
15th May 2005, 17:57
This system of 48 cheques has come from India, std prectice there so no one defaults as in India its a very serious crime.

Fox3snapshot
15th May 2005, 18:39
...and where did India develop its bureaucracy and administrative paper trail from.....

:rolleyes:

BigGeordie
16th May 2005, 07:36
If you read your tenancy agreement you will find the landlord is doing nothing illegal. It is normal practice however to refund the former tenant once the property is relet. To stop a cheque in Dubai requires a court order.

fractional
16th May 2005, 17:47
Until things get clearer over there, stay in company accommodation.
If (and when) the government there decides to make property rights your own rights, like in Europe and in the US (and I believe elsewhere in the world), one should feel safe to buy soemthing. Until then stay put in company property despite all the inconvenience.

max6462
17th May 2005, 12:10
Here are a bit more infos I got from Dubai Municipality.
I was confirmed about the legality of my landlord's intention.
However, if he ever finds a tenant to rent this place, he is required to reimburse my penalties. It is illegal to get a double income from a property indeed.
But what if I am abroad now uh?
You think he'd notify me? Yeah right.
To get back to buying a property: I would never buy here.
Primo, I think the market is reaching its peak. Those who purchased 3 years ago are doing just fine, but it cannot go on like this, given the amount of construction projects.
Secundo, The quality of construction is an insult to masonry :
Try to drilll a small hole in the wall and you end up filling a crater with plaster...
And damned it, 65.000Dhs/ year for a 800sq.ft in a complex such as the greens that will look like a Ex-soviet ghetto in 3 years from now: Isn't it a bit over priced?
This place is getting more expensive than N.Y.C or Paris !
And where's the fun? The culture? Oh yes they have malls and a ski resort...
I am so out of here. :yuk:

GoForIt
17th May 2005, 21:53
I'm just curious.... why do people leave EK accomodations? I heard they had good accomodations. Did I hear wrong?

Fox3snapshot
18th May 2005, 00:09
You have no idea....wait to see what 65,000 Dhs gets you in Abu Dhabi, still not much trust me!

Of course I wouldn't know that on my contract because my budget is 45,000 and I used to drive past far better establishments in Somalia!

:{

Payscale
18th May 2005, 07:14
I dont live in company accomodation.

Its a lottery what you get. Once you are in there is no way to change. They discriminate against pilots who are unmarried or married without children .
I do the same job, yet I had to live in an apartment and sign friends in with the security guard if I wanted dinner guests. Guyes in villas dont have to call their boss to ask if the neighboors kids can come over!!

They dont trust my judgement in guests for dinner, but will give me a 150 mill jet to fly in! The official reason is it is for safety in case of fire, however the tennants dont sign in, so they dont have a clue who is in the building anyhow. Busted!

Flight ops have no say in where we get to live. Even with empty houses and apartments you are stuck with what the indian clerk gives you. Noonein management dares stand up to them, afterall they also control their villas. Ridiculous. People actually leave or dont come over this.

Anyhow I have rented for the last 2 years, and moving into my own brand new villa in a couple of months....or the apartment right on the beach! Yeah, I have bought

Dont trust the mail I just read somewhere above mine, concluding the end of the marked is coming next wednesday at high noon. Noone knows. If landlord can command 10-20% increases in rents, it is only because there is a demand.

There is no land law in Dubai...yet... but it is my own personal opinion that when it comes prices will go another 5-10% up.

Yes they are building like crazy, but dont compare actual citizen numbers in dubai with number of towers and villas. A large part is bought from overseas buyes, and will either be empty or rented by tourists. This is a marked like no other, just like everthing else in the city. The second hand marked is still a gray zone, with estate agents who were shoe salesmen last week, and have no clue about property and marketing. These will eventually weed out.

Rumors has it, and this is just a RUMOUR guyes, OK?... that EK is building a 1000 villa complex where you all will live. Probably with 20 towers for the Cabin Crew, out by Dubai Silicone Oasis. I drove by the other day and they are building loads of villas.
It makes sense financially. The current system is to expensive and unfair.

If they had to pay market prices, the live out allowance increase of 10% is just not enough. Sorry, but it is just not enough. GulfNews recently announced that rent had gone 26% up over the last year.

So if you are planning to come to Dubai, do come, but know what you are getting into beforehand. Thats only fair.

You have now reached the end of my 2 cents worth. Have a nice afternooon.

Payscale...

rb737-600
22nd May 2005, 10:22
Payscale please check your PM