PDA

View Full Version : Monte Carlo and Deck Landings

FletchTheBone
14th May 2005, 17:06
Have any of you flown into Monte Carlo during Grand Prix week (next week) and have you any gems of advice?
Plus for the more seasoned vets amongst us what about clues for landing on yachts harboured near by - looks like my boss has decided to go this year and hire a yacht and although I've been to Mandelieu before I haven't in Grand Prix week.:confused:

Thomas coupling
15th May 2005, 20:47
Make sure you dont attempt to come to the hover in the exhaust from the ships engines:ooh:

And dont blow the cocktail party away on the yacht next door.

GLSNightPilot
16th May 2005, 20:10
I haven't landed on any yachts, but I have landed many times on seismic boats, drilling tenders, and various other barges. It's not difficult as long as the deck isn't pitching badly, and it likely won't be there. In 10'+ seas, it can be tricky, but I doubt the rich folks want to be on a yacht in those conditions anyway. I always try to approach a stern helideck from an angle, and never from directly astern. Vessels at anchor tend to weathervane, thus the most turbulence will be directly astern, if there is any. And at night, there may be very bright lights pointing directly astern. I learned this the hard way when landing on a seismic vessel one night. Always approach a seismic boat from an angle.

Reflex
17th May 2005, 13:00
Loads of restrictions. Look on Heliriviera.com website.

If you still have questions call Nigel Watson the md at Heli Riviera

helicopter-redeye
17th May 2005, 14:13
I've been to the Grand Prix there and all of the heli traffic that I recall was going into the Monarco heliport round the bay with boat transit to the race. In an out with about 2 mins turnaround due to traffic density.

I can only remember one helicopter-on-a-boat and that belonged to the Monaco Royal's (the boat was quite big ....)

:\ :8