PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye NPA?

Crossunder
14th May 2005, 16:11
Maybe the era of NPAs is nearing an end for a few lucky souls? About bloody time, anyway... :ok:

http://www.helgeland-arbeiderblad.no/nyheter/article1586702.ece

So - perhaps in another 500 years or so, the dive-and-drive NDB approaches are history? Been hearing through the grapevine that JAA is looking at banning dive-and-drive alltogether now. Anyone heard anything?

Cheers - Cross.

LGB
15th May 2005, 06:43
So, what happens to GPS and GLS approaches, is it the same thing as SCAT-1? Same principle, but apparently not the same system.

(GPS approaches are non-precision, GLS is precision approaches using GPS with LAAS/GBAS add-on)

A short search on Google reveals this ...

http://gps.faa.gov/FAQ/faq-laas.htm

... but the status of GLS wasn't easy to find. Anyone?

And then there is MLS, implemented in recent years at various airports in Europe, for instance Amsterdam, several UK airports etc, because they couldn't wait for GLS approval.

b200
16th May 2005, 09:59
Hmm. I just wonder why they rely on, one supplier of avionics. It should have been a system that everyone could use if they were equipped with the right avionics. (Not only Universal.)

If I am wrong about this, let me know.

LGB
16th May 2005, 10:23
Too bad they cannot agree on one system. I would like GLS as a standard, however, will the GPS/NAVSTAR system be available "for ever"? Without the satellites, the GLS isn't operational, whereas ILS/MLS is of course standalone systems.

What is the reason for the US to provide all of us GPS use for free - just because they are friendly? I see the same pattern as Microsoft did with both Windows and the Office package. In the beginning they make sure it is readlily available, and when everyone is hooked on it and competition is dead, prices go up. If the GPS system becomes the only system for both enroute navigation as well as precision approaches, they CAN if they want to, eventually require payments for use of the system, either from country to country, or operator based.

Let's hope the Russian GLONASS and the European satellite systems will become fully operational as independent systems.

Until then, let's keep GPS independent systems as backup!

M609
16th May 2005, 10:38
I've heard rumours that more avionics suppliers are ready to jump on the SCAT-1 bandwagon, when they actually see systems in operation on the ground. They are reportedly looking at systems that can be upgraded to LAAS standard.