PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding BELGIAN TAX

EXCIN
14th May 2005, 10:47
Are there any Belgian pilots here, flying abroad (for ex NetJets) but still living in Belgium? How are they avoiding paying tax in Belgium?

1.6vs
17th May 2005, 01:00
i flew with an f/o who acquired citizenship in madagascar he was a belgian national working abroad.

navtrack
17th May 2005, 02:16
Just Get out of this country where your taxes is for feeding government workers which are three times MORE compare to others countries.

flyA380
17th May 2005, 07:45
I overheard somebody explaining that Belgium and GB have aggreements on taxes.
Apperently your english pay, will be taxed as such, and not anymore in Belgium.
If you have an income in Belgium too, then the English part is added to calculate your tax percentage, but then ONLY used on the Belgian part of your income. The English part is thus not taxed twice.
They even said something about being able to reclaim most of your English taxes after two years, if you do not live there... but I have no clue how or what.

Hope this helps a bit: I know nothing about pension, social security etc.

Scottie
17th May 2005, 08:17
FlyA380, I think you mean British Tax. There is no such thing as English tax.

flyA380
17th May 2005, 09:14
Sorry:\

Off course: England is no country either, right? Typical European error I am afraid: you'd be surprised (and shocked maybe) how many people talk about 'England' when they mean Great-Britain.
:}

Scottie
17th May 2005, 10:01
England is most certainly a country but it doesn't have it's own tax system.

If you're off to fly the 777 for British Airways then remember you're flying for the flag carrier for the United Kingdom (or is that Virgin now? ;) )

PilotsPal
17th May 2005, 10:43
Mustn't forget Air Wales and Air Scotland!

navtrack
17th May 2005, 11:01
How can we built Europe with all these considerations ?

Scottie
17th May 2005, 13:33
Navtrack, We can't! :) :) :)

flyA380
20th May 2005, 14:49
Hey Excin,

I tried to PM and email you, but no joy.:ugh:
If you want to exchange info on taxes, let me know.

Anyways: it is clear that by working in the UK, you will pay much less tax than when working in Belgium.

Greetz,

:cool:

sky330
23rd May 2005, 11:56
Two cases:

Belgium has a 'tax agreement' with the country (all EU countries plus a few others), and your foreign income will only be taxed in the foreign country according the local laws.
As indicated by FlyA380, your belgian income will be taxed according belgian laws, taking all your income into account to compute the 'ratio'.

Belgium has no agreement.
You will be taxed in Belgium on your all world income. If you can proved you have paid taxes in another country, you may have a deduction, but Belgian system being not really favorable, you will end up paying a lot more :{

The only way, is not to be belgian resident, move your official address to another country AND (IMPORTANT), the official adress of your wife and kids.
If your wife is registered in Belgium, you will be considered Belgium resident whatever your official address.
You can stay as long as you want in Belgium as a 'tourist', if you are Belgium citizen (three months otherwise).

This, of course, have unfavorable, consequence, for ie you will have to pay higher local taxes on your house if any, you will lost your children family allocation, social security,... will be those of your country of residence,..., your wife loose unemployement allocation if any,...

You have to make the computation, but it is the only legal way to do it. Belgian system have been specifically designed to avoid you doing it :yuk: