PDA

View Full Version : BA's minimum connection time @ BRS

Pandy
14th May 2005, 10:22
I'm having an argument with BA (& their computer).

Can anyone tell me the official minimum BA connection time at BRS? BA tells me 50 minutes isn't enough. Not that it appears anyone checked.

Trying to book EDI - ZUR via BRS as its the fastest BA of the day but can't get it on the BA site nor their (part owned) bucket shop Opodo, BUT it shows on my downloaded laptop "BA Electronic Timetable".

The other early morning option (on BA) is via LHR T1 / T4 which is 15 mins longer and who wants a bus ride around LHR.

Do BACX operate via BRS as a LoCo & not isuue connecting tickets? or is the laptop "BA Electronic Timetable" wrong? or is it that their reservations computer doesn't / can't handle connections via BRS?

Who wants to connect through LHR / LGW when BRS is available - or isn't it?

Be grateful for any advice.

terrier21
14th May 2005, 11:23
Hi Pandy

Just spoke to BA here at BRS and in their system it is showing that you can book EDI-BRS-ZRH as a through ticket with a 50 min connection, I was told there maybe a computer problem on the net booking system.

Give them a call on 08708509850.

(This is not an advertisement I will list all of the numbers of the airlines at BRS if the mods want me to)

hope this helps

T21

Pandy
14th May 2005, 11:39
Thanks T21, minor problem is I'm in DXB at present but I'll call the local office.

After posting I checked some other routes like Glasgow - Munich and Edinburgh - Milan via BRS on the BA booking system & BRS doesn't show as a option whilst it does on the desktop. Certainly doesn't encourage then use of BRS (and therefore more services therefrom).

Makes me wonder how much, if any, connecting traffic there is over BRS on BA. Surely it could take some pressure off LHR which would be to BA's advantage opening a few slots more for longhaul. OK not necessarily right now, but in the longer term.

Thanks for the info anyway, you've given more info in an hour than I got in 3 emails over 3 days from BA.

marlowe
15th May 2005, 07:15
Pandy what you have to remember is that BA at BRS is actually BACX and British airways will not do anything to actively encourage pax to abandon LHR in favour of regional bases. Even though BACX is wholly owned by BA ,it still looks at it in certain areas as competition!! for example LCY is not marketed in the london area that well because if they did it might affect pax figures on the Geneva and Frankfurt routes from LHR, BACX operate these routes out of LCY and so become competition! even though any revenue is still going into BA!!! The LCY routes give pax who work in the city shorter check in times and also its alot closer than LHR when your paying for a taxi as canary wharf is only a couple of miles away. But if BA advertised these routes and pax figures dropped at LHR then the unions would be up in arms even though what it really is, is just a re-distribution of pax and not a drop in overall figures.

Pandy
15th May 2005, 11:41
Marlowe

Thanks for that, what a weird way to run a business. Have heard many a bad report on BACX management, but it seems from what you say as if the're managing with one arm tied behind their backs.

Why doesn't BACX give say the EDI - ZUR (via BRS) a through flight number, as from my researches it appears that this would qualify to appear on the BA web booking system. With a 50 minute connection time at BRS its most probably the same a/c.

This EDI - ZUR I am still trying to book shows alternates on the BA web booking system as available via LGW / LCY with a coach transfer! Don't think I'll be queuing up for that one!

Pandy

ASCIL
15th May 2005, 11:55
Just checked on the British Airways Res System and its showing the following for BA->BA Flts:

D-D 25mins
D-I 25mins
I-D 35mins
I-I 35mins

Not sure if this is of any use, but hey!

:ok:

Pandy
15th May 2005, 12:08
Ascil - thanks at last the 'facts'.

Do I assume that this is not available to 'Jo Public' or is their a site I can view it on?

The SSK
16th May 2005, 14:44
According to the OAG (any travel agent should have a copy) minimum connecting times at BRS are 30min for any combination of Dom and Int.

sixmilehighclub
16th May 2005, 22:22
Just to add further confusion, I used to be an IATA ticketer, and the MCTs for LHR were as follows for any airline to any airline:

Dom>Dom 45
Int>Dom 60
Dom>Int 60
Int>Int 75

Somebody please clarify if things have changed? Just so i'm in the know! Thanks

Pandy
17th May 2005, 06:59
Well I've given up on this one & booked my aged relation over AMS, not on BA.

BA bang on about using their web site booking facility, with in effect, penalties (in price) for using an Travel Agent or even the telephone. Being in DXB, a web booking should be really good news, but oh no it boils down to visiting a Travel Agent or the BA office here. I've tried explaining to my Jordanian Travel Agent the benefits of going via BRS, he's never been to Europe, his expression was nothing if a little glazed and the price - forget it.

The loser is BRS, great little airport, easy (pun) transfers in theory but in effect the punter has to pay an uplift to transit via it; if indeed he/she even knows about the connections available. Without the BA desktop you wouldn't.

Grrrr