PDA

View Full Version : Adverts I Hate

verticalhold
13th May 2005, 14:33
Is it me? Does any one else hate that disgusting Kentucky Fried Chicken add with the vile women stuffing their faces and singing.
I am flattening the batteries on the remote changing the channel whenever the revolting piece of C:mad: comes on. I don't think I will ever buy their nauseating product again.
:yuk:

Anyone else hate it as much as I do? I'm getting close to deep frying Colonel Saunders in his own special formula.

er82
13th May 2005, 14:37
have to admit it made me laugh the first time. now it's just annoying.....
other adverts that make me cringe - anything to do with tampax, sanitary towels, incontinence, having the squits.

best advert - the talk talk one with all the people joined together. very clever.

BillHicksRules
13th May 2005, 14:52
VH,

I agree. It is driving me demented

ER82,

I have to say the Always Ultra ad with the lothario dancing at the beach bar makes me laugh.

Cheers

BHR

AirYard
13th May 2005, 14:54
the bud advert, sponsoring the premier league always makes me giggle.

Multi balls all the way :E brilliant when the villa player gets clocked in the head :}

Rollingthunder
13th May 2005, 14:57
Anything from Ditech.com or anything about reverse mortgages or any furniture shop advert or any half hour paid programming bloody advert.

Parapunter
13th May 2005, 15:00
Mate of mine works for Bud & says sales are whipping along after that ad.

Taildragger55
13th May 2005, 15:01
Some poster ads here in Dublin advertising business services feature a range of fictitious small businesses.

One of them is a florist with the ad going something like;

"Don't know what you did wrong? Make it up to her with a gift of flowers from Moody Cow florists"

Made me giggle.

BillHicksRules
13th May 2005, 15:02
AirYard/Para,

I have to say I do like that Bud campaign.

Looking back and Bud have done well in ad campaigns for several years now.

The Frogs, the True ads etc

Cheers

BHR

timmcat
13th May 2005, 15:09
Looks like the KFC ad is causing offence to a few - here. (http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4546756)

My personal 'least favourite' is the Audi car ad with the noise which reaches a crescendo, sending the kids scurrying for the mute button on the remote.

Rushton
13th May 2005, 15:23
The Halifax ads with Howard in 'em. He was past his sell by date before he began doing these irritating purile ads. Go back to the day job Howard.

Dop
13th May 2005, 15:47
Ocean Finance and their gaggle of morbidly obese slack-jawed morons.

ANY advert for ringtones.
ANY advert for fast food chains.
ANY advert with small children in it.

redsnail
13th May 2005, 15:51
The ad that shits me to tears (rather topical at the moment) is that bloody yoghurt add with the geeky nerd talking about bacteria. Gees I hate that ad and I'll never buy that product.

Jerricho
13th May 2005, 16:04
The Halifax ads with Howard in 'em

Geezus. Are they still using him. :yuk:

er82
13th May 2005, 16:37
the halifax ads (about 10? yrs ago) used to be cool when they used to build houses and things out of people.... ok so i was a whipper-snapper and thought it was good back then!!

Vankem Spankfaart
13th May 2005, 16:51
Anything that ends with "hmmMMm Danone" in that poisonous French accent.

V

BTW - where has Nicole and her Clio gone....can we start a "Bring Back Nicole" campaign?

Guern
13th May 2005, 18:50
We get a really annoying Jamster one at the moment with a bl**dy frog and Axle F. At least once every ad break

ShyTorque
13th May 2005, 19:26
The Powergen one. That highly irritating false eco-warrior bloke is a complete non-event and does NOTHING to make me want to buy any power from them, if anything it would have the effect of changing my supply away from them, if I hadn't already done so.

Scripted by numpties. :rolleyes:

Loki
13th May 2005, 19:59
That insurance advert featuring gormless git with whiny northern accent...something about being quoted crappy or something.

Oh, and those Michael Winner ads too.

Whirlygig
13th May 2005, 20:30
About a hundred years ago, there was an advert for washing powder in which a woman had hold of her husband's shirt which has a particularly grimy collar. She says to the camera, "you can't put modern shirts like Jack's in the boil wash". Even at the age of 6, I thought she ought to tell Jack to wash his neck instead!!

After all, I was dragged kicking and screaming to the bathroom to have MY neck scrubbed!! So why shouldn't Jack!

Cheers

Whirls

tart1
13th May 2005, 21:14
Most, if not all, McDonalds adverts.

That stupid jingle: 'I'm lovin' it' is about the most annoying thing ever to be heard on TV. :yuk: :yuk:

Plus, the product is about the worst in the universe.

I haven't eaten a McD meal since 1995 except for last year at an airport when there was not much other choice so I reluctantly ordered something which had chicken in it and sounded ok. But it turned out to be the most disgusting lump of pre-formed, luke-warm s**t. How do they get away with serving such total crud and people flock to buy it?? :yuk: :yuk:

Jerricho
13th May 2005, 21:41
How do they get away with serving such total crud and people flock to buy it

Must be the MSG ;)

tart1
13th May 2005, 21:45
Oh yes - touché Jerricho!! :cool: :cool:

bladewashout
13th May 2005, 22:08
An unfortunate teacher at my kids school resembles the guy in the 'bacteria' yoghurt ad.

He now gets kids hiding nearby and shouting out 'bacteria' during breaks. You can imagine the kids' hilarity.

Poor sod. I bet he hates that ad.

BW

Time Bandit
13th May 2005, 22:15
Diamond car insurance. "Girls, we're better drivers bla bla bla cheaper car insurance".
Most girly adverts annoy me half to death, especially for Tampons or Lambrini proliferating the idea that any woman can be a Bridget Jones-a-like if you buy thier product. grrrr

Here is a real advert (if you can forget what car its for), alongside the peugeot fieds of fire, take my breath away job.
http://www.maestro.org.uk/montego/mont2.rm

Irish Steve
13th May 2005, 23:26
ANY KFC ads:yuk:

McDonalds ads:yuk:

Things like Cilit Bang, and all these other wonder washing products that we just cannot be without. Where do they get the names from. Jif, which was bad enough, became Cif. Even less meaningful. Also totally false, and shallow etc etc. Do they think we're complete morons? Looks like it.

The massive number of ads that think I'm either deaf, stupid or plain slow, so they insist on shouting at me, or speaking ...r.e.a.l.l.y. s.l.o.w. s.o. .t.h.a.t. I. g.e.t. .t.h.e. .m.e.s.s.a.g.e.

The equally high number of ads that insist on blasting me out of the room with a volume level 25% above the level of the program they've just interupted.

It's gone now, but that revolting kid that was using typex solvent or similar to damage his nails to then try and coerce his mother into buying cheese strings to combat his "calcium deficiency" . Appalling advert, giving totally the wrong message.

Nappy adverts at meal times:}

Most of the previous candidates, yes you're right about them too.

Expensive kids toys adverts that leave everyone that hasn't got one feeling inferior.

Then again, we should be thankful that the regulators have not allowed the full "American" model. Spend any length of time there trying to watch any program that also is shown over here, and it becomes only too clear why so many Americans have the attention span of a lemming!!!

allan907
14th May 2005, 01:18
A particularly annoying/disgusting ad over here has a tongue detaching itself from a sleeping bloke and wandering out of the bedroom and into the kitchen to find a beer, take the cap off and drink it - yeeeuch.

Another one that gets my goat starts off with a cheesy/schmaltzy 5 second clip yacking about "love and commitment", then cuts to a woman saying "Well, that's got rid of the blokes - now I want to talk to you about thrush" - Even bigger yeeuch:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Konkordski
14th May 2005, 12:53
We should see more ads like this (http://www.k-fee.com/fileadmin/video/KFEEAUTO.MPG) :E

Avtrician
14th May 2005, 14:12
You bugger Konkordski, thats not nice.:E :E :ok:

airship
14th May 2005, 14:20
Lotto adverts which go something like...100% of winners took their chances and played! I know it's true but it's ever so slightly misleading... :uhoh:

JB007
14th May 2005, 16:05
Gotta be the esure Car Insurance ads - christ could I punch Michael Winner!!!!

Konkordski
14th May 2005, 17:19
We get a really annoying Jamster one at the moment with a bl**dy frog and Axle F

Just started seeing that one today and it's already got up my nose. Have you also noticed that it's been "censored" with a black mask over the frog's nether regions - apparently as a result of complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority?

redsnail
14th May 2005, 17:21
Why didn't they put the black mask over it's bloody mouth so it would just SHUT UP. :mad:

joe2812
14th May 2005, 19:17
Because it's not a real frog... :hmm:

Try the mute button! :}

timmcat
14th May 2005, 19:56
Things like Cilit Bang,
Hands up who misread that first time round... :uhoh:

GASH !
14th May 2005, 20:09
" Have you or any member of your family been involved in an accident at work ? " blah blah

" I banged my toe on a chair leg in the office, and won £30,000 " etc etc

" Where there's blame there's a claim ! "

The YES car credit ad has to be one of the most annoying ever too.

Synthetic
14th May 2005, 23:41
Seems to me that some bright spark in advertising has worked out that if something is really annoying it sticks in your mind even better than if it is really good. In the past I reckon some adverts have been some of the best things on the damned box. Even quite recently, the peugeot ad which showed the middle class daughter showing her father how much she wanted one by kissing the tramp had me in bits (but only the firsy fifty times or so :zzz: ).

Another intensly annoying trait is to to show the same ad, or a follow up in the same break I remember the first time this hapened was for a TV magazine called TV quick, and after numerous complaints the ASA banned it.

On the brighter side, anyone else impressed with the advert which starts with the narator asking 'Which has more nutritional value? The chicken or the egg?'. Excellent.

By the way, does any one remember the Noddy wallpaper ad?

Lon More
15th May 2005, 01:39
"Nibble Nobby's Nuts" was funny the first 50 times but has started to pale.
Watching the Rugby League yesterday on TV I like the fact that the refs are sponsored by SpecSavers

Avtrician
15th May 2005, 02:59
/Rant on:-

I realy hate the kids toy adds where the little monsters are talking with a grating American accent, gives me the horrors, should use local kids.

Also an add for Mcaines Pizza wher the ingrate doing the talking says Oh Mcaines yuorve done it again. Aint no such bloody word as YOURVE.

Another pet hate is News Readers getting Fewer and Less mixed up. ie there were less accindents this year from the same time last year. Should be Fewer you clowns.

/Rant off:-

Sorry, feel better now. Is the bar open yet????

Jerricho
15th May 2005, 12:09
the little monsters are talking with a grating American accent

Heh. Reminds me of a toothpaste commercial (Macleans whitening?) with lady teacher sitting in front of the class asking them what colour is the sky etc... and then asks what colour are here teeth. The kids start coming out with "off white", "mother of pearl" and alike.

I've seen the ad in three countries now, all with the voices dubed into the local accent. Pitty they couldn't quite get the synch of the mouths and the voices.

And that bloody mini-tampon ad with numb-nuts who makes himself a sandwich while his girlie is getting dressed, then asks for some candy.............. :E

tart1
15th May 2005, 20:33
I watch very little TV generally but I have watched about an hour's worth tonight.

That frog advert is really the most annoying thing I have ever seen - it is on all the time before and after every programme and during the adverts.

I tried muting it whilst waiting for the next programme but it still made me want to kick the television set out of the window ..... and I'm a very non-aggressive, mild-mannered, patient sort of person!! :(

speedbirdzerozeroone
15th May 2005, 21:48
What about the Otex ‘ear drops’ ad with its charming cartoon demonstrating just how it works…………
………AS IF WE COULDN’T BL***Y GUESS!

(best viewed when about to tuck into a curry)

Kestrel_909
15th May 2005, 22:12
Any ocean fianance advert.

Any ringtone advert.

How about this, always kept me entertained :sad:
http://multimedia.honda-eu.com/newcars/300k_player.swf

Synthetic
15th May 2005, 22:54
Top link Kestrel. Anyome seen/got the Equinox (semi scientific docunemtary shown on Ch4) years ago along the same lines?

Simtech
16th May 2005, 16:12
Personal finance ads featuring Carol Vorderperson or Phil Tuffnel.

Double glazing ads featuring the loud-mouthed Lancastrian (I said you buy one, you get one free!)

The personal injury lawyer ads with some bloke being interrogated by an Anne Robinson clone, while connected to a polygraph manned by a techno geek with a suspicious-looking goatee.

I could go on, but life's too short......

tart1
16th May 2005, 21:06
Just to be contrary - can I add an advert I actually liked?

The one for Jaffa cakes with the Spanish (I think) teacher who shows the class a whole jaffa cake and says 'full moon'.

Then she takes a bite out of it and says 'half moon' (she pronounces the L in half).

Then she shoves the whole lot into her mouth and says 'total eclipse'.

The way she says it all in her strong accent, with a mouth full of jaffa cake, is lovely. I haven't seem this for a while now ......... shame. :{

Lon More
17th May 2005, 23:28
Any ad for ring tones, esp that :mad: frog and his illegitamate brother, the :mad: :mad: dragon.
Make me want to boot the telly into touch

Darth Nigel
18th May 2005, 00:14
Over here in Spamsylvania, we have a clothing chain called "Old Navy". They've been running a series of ads since before Christmas which are almost indescribable.

Picture a 1960s sitcom set, with a cast of people of ambiguous sexual orientation (that's PC-speak for [email protected]@fs, I think) who burst into the most ridiculous songs while prancing around in whatever cheap tat they are flogging. Now imagine that these people cannot quite all sing in the same key. Now imagine the ad running multiple times per show, and in the US we have ads every 7 minutes or so.

If that really is Old Navy, makes me wonder why Admiral Draper ever ran away to sea?