PDA

View Full Version : How to make the perfect bacon butty.

Rollingthunder
13th May 2005, 14:21
This won't be of any interest to our North American friends or most of the rest of the world for that matter.

1. They don't know what a butty is.

2. They don't know what a bap is.

3. They don't have decent bacon.

Lightly toast a cheese bap. Cook proper bacon ( not streaky type and smoked bacon is recommended ) to a not crisp texture. Butter the bap with good butter. Place three slices of bacon on said bap and lightly dust with freshly ground black pepper. To kick it up a notch apply a fried egg - runny of course. Place top bap cover on top and devour.

You will notice this bears no resemblance to a McEgg McMuffin.

Onan the Clumsy
13th May 2005, 14:24
I can go along with that.

Wedge
13th May 2005, 14:27
Cook proper bacon

Grill or fry? I usually grill, it burns the fat off, but does tend to scorch around the edges.

Frying is ok but tastes too fatty imho.

Runny fried eggs? No! No! NO! :E

Rollingthunder
13th May 2005, 14:31
Fat is GOOD. Fat is tasty. It's part of the combination.

All in moderation of course.

A runny yolk dribbling down your chin while munching bab is a good thing. Napkins are de rigeur.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th May 2005, 14:31
I find the addition of mayo and Tabasco sauce makes all the difference.:ok:

er82
13th May 2005, 14:35
wouldn't have it in a cheese bap myself. nothing like door-stop slices of bread. a little bit of ketchup. and crispy bacon. hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Darth Nigel
13th May 2005, 14:42
How to make a perfect bacon butty?

Easy. One snaps one's fingers, and yells "Woman, bring a bacon butty".

And lo, a bacon butty appears, and it is good. One's wife then stands by the frying pan lest her culinary skills were of insufficient quantity and a backup butty would be required.

Edited to add: If anyone has tried this, could they PM me and tell me how it works?

Parapunter
13th May 2005, 15:01
HP. Must have HP or it's just a ringer.

Confabulous
13th May 2005, 15:14
Right, that's bacon covered.

Now, what about chicken and baguettes? I've been searching for the holy grail of combinations for a while, and no luck yet!:{ :uhoh:

PilotsPal
13th May 2005, 15:32
I seem to recall a multi-page thread on this years ago. Digressions included such esoteric topics as the perfect bread, butter or not?, bacon: smoked or green?, is ketchup a travesty?, how should butty be divided or do you eat it whole, correct time of day for butty consumption, etc etc.

Only one aspect was agreed by all. Supermarket packed bacon is a very poor product indeed - you have to go find a butcher that will slice the bacon of your choice off the slab. Fortunately suppliers of seriously high class proper cured British bacon abound in the UK these days, plenty available by mail order.

Capn Notarious
13th May 2005, 16:09
No doubt he will advance my meagre input.

Inclined grilled bacon; four slices, so that the fat runs away.
Turned, fried eggs in oil. Drain off excess oil.
Place bacon on lower slice of brown granary bread, [ for it's absorbancy ]
Eggs along the centre line [to preserve the centre of gravity ]
Two remaining slices of bacon on top of the eggs.
Second granary slice on top.
Thin knife introduced horizontally to pierce the yolks.
Turn sandwhich 180 degrees to permit spread of egg yellow.
Use of butter and other additives will mask the flavours.

tart1
13th May 2005, 16:38
Good white bread or a nice bap or baguette, spread not too thickly with real butter and a sufficient quantity of decent quality (definitely not supermarket) bacon, grilled lightly or crisply, according to taste. Mmmmm.....

Crótalo
13th May 2005, 16:54
Ok, RT, you've laid out the bait, and I'm taking it but the bait is bacon, therefore it's irresistible! ;)

Point 1. Wrong. We just have a different name for it.

Point 2. Wrong. We just have a better name for it. :}

Point 3. Ok, you've got us there -- to an extent. You can find British-style bacon here, but it's quite difficult. However, you can easily find higher-quality cuts of American-style/streaky bacon which give you much more meat and less fat (you do realize it comes from a different part of the pig don't you?) It'll make a "decent" bacon butty, but I fully agree that it's not nearly as good as a bacon butty made with British bacon.

Not terribly healthy, but delicious as a rare indulgence!

tony draper
13th May 2005, 17:02
One begs to differ,the last really good bacon one tasted was in the Hotel California in SF, we int had proper bacon here since that feckin cursed EU stopped us curing it properly,one does not mind straight bananas or the insipid euro sausage but the lack of good bacon has instilled in one a deep hatred of that thrice cursed organisation.
:suspect: :rolleyes:

Jordan D
13th May 2005, 18:26
Oi! Someone forgot the brown sauce .... now that's better!

Jordan

Solid Rust Twotter
13th May 2005, 18:33
Cap'n N

Sluuurrrrrpppp! Drooooolllll!

sixmilehighclub
13th May 2005, 18:44
Can't beat Jamie Olivers Breakfast Buttie.

Fry up some thick bacon, mushrooms, tomato (optional), sliced sausage and fried eggs. Put on warm plate once cooked.

Take a fresh white bloomer loaf, slice it lengthways, lightly butter then place slices in pan in which youve just cooked the above in, let it soak up all the juices and dry out. Add contents. Add Tomato or HP sauce.

Finally add large napkin to chest (or two in my case:E ).

helidecks
13th May 2005, 18:44
A runny yolk dribbling down your chin while munching bab is a good thing.

mmmmmmmmmm especially with a fair maiden to mop it up:E :E

but need the brown sauce and best bacon from the local butcher:ok:

MadsDad
13th May 2005, 19:15
Take two rashers of thick-cut back bacon (not supermarket tissue-paper). Fry until fat crisp and meat still a bit soft.

Then ake two slices of freshly cut bread. Place bacon on one slice and add sauce (personal taste is HP Fruity).

Place the second slice in the frying pan and rub round bottom of pan to soak up the bacon fat and warm up a bit (do not fry it - should be warm, soft and greasy).

Place other slice on top of (sauced) bacon and eat.

(Known locally as the 'unhealthy options' bacon butty).

Darth Nigel
13th May 2005, 19:26
This thread is making me hungry.

And just reading it is giving me higher cholesterol than a pound of lard!

It may be sacrilege, but I like a few fried onions on my bacon butty, to mix in with the egg and lots of bacon. The bread has to be thick and freshly baked/freshly sliced too.

Some sort of hot sauce is nice; something like Cholula -- not vinegary like Tabasco.

Oh well, in another 3 or 4 hours, I'll be home. I think I know what we're havig for supper tonight

sprocket
13th May 2005, 21:33
Uh, back to the start for a moment. Whats a bap? :hmm:

My mouth is watering already.

Rollingthunder
13th May 2005, 21:37
It's a bun, a roll, a Kaiser.

IB4138
13th May 2005, 21:39
Oven bottom muffin, sliced and thin layer of Lurpak on each opened side.
6 x Thick sliced unsmoked back bacon, grilled until fat just going crisp.
Layer bacon on bottom side of muffin in 3 layers.
Add HP sauce. Put top on and place in gob.

bladewashout
13th May 2005, 22:04
Don't move the bacon around the pan when it's cooking, just turn it once. Makes sure it fries rather than boils.

BW

LordGrumpy
13th May 2005, 22:08
This is a fine appetising experiance.I say Lady G, Fancy a bit of Sir Francis?

sixmilehighclub
13th May 2005, 22:11
I have some baps.

But I don't have any bacon.

Rainboe
13th May 2005, 22:26
All you people have no taste whatsoever. The only way a civilised person would each such a bacon butty is with picallilli, the outrageously yellow mustardy stuff. Egg optional.
Having recently been watching American bacon being eaten, I was appalled by it. It must be the grossest bacon in the world. Everyone abandons cutlery and has to eat it with fingers, after breaking it up which it does like plastic. It must be like eating cracked plywood. We should organise food aid flights across the Atlantic.

Whirlygig
13th May 2005, 22:30
Well Rainboe, I don't often agree with you but I'm agreeing with you again. American bacon especially with the habit of putting maple syrup on it is, er, well, not my cup of tea :p

The prefect bacon butty for me, is one that someone else has cooked.

Not fussy me!!

Cheers

Whirls

allan907
14th May 2005, 01:33
Stage 1 - Preparation

Purchase -
a. Fresh loaf of bread from local bakers (baked on premises).
b. Quantity of home-cured back bacon from local butchers (he does it himself with a mild Karri smoking).

Take ingredients home and remove rind from bacon and place in fry pan. Cut two thickish slices from traditional locally produced bread.

Stage 2 - Cooking

Fry bacon in pan with rind. Bacon should not be too crisp nor too floppy. Do not drain fat off bacon.

Stage 3 - Presentation

Place cooked rashers of bacon onto one of the slices of bread allowing fat to soak into bread. Put other slice on top and cut across centre (rectangular - not triangular).

Stage 4 - Consumption

Eat but save small portion for dogs who have been drooling all the while. Think about doing another bacon butty.

PS For those in the area, the Toodyay butcher and baker are absolutely tops and do things in the genuine traditional way. Well worth the trip up from Perth.
:ok:

Incipient Sinner
14th May 2005, 05:31
I'm sure that it'll attract much criticism but my bacon butty is:

Bread toasted on one side, then a light layer of cheese melted on that same side.

Bacon must be highest quality (my local farm shop does bacon that's more like gammon steak), pop bacon on cheese and squeeze whole together.

Officers red condiment a must!!

Solid Rust Twotter
14th May 2005, 16:13
Slather, dribble........!:O

Manc
14th May 2005, 23:02
What's this "bap" nonsense?

It's a barmcake!

Ontariotech
15th May 2005, 00:16
I would put Marmite on it...skipping the bacon and egg of coarse.

RiskyRossco
15th May 2005, 02:35
Chicken baguettes must contain,
1. Fresh lettuce or mesclun, rocket is fair substitute.
2. Wedges of Brie or Camambert.
3. Tinned apricot halves, drained.
4. Kalamata olives.
5. Sun-dried tomatoes.
6. Basil or coriander pesto.

A suitable sauvignon or riesling.

Hope it helps.

However, a bacon butty can be lifted into sublime realms when applied with lettuce, tomato and avocado.
We call it a 'blat' ( B-acon, L-ettuce, A-vocado, T-omato.)

:ok:

ORAC
15th May 2005, 15:29
The "best" is what one can get. Went to the new food hall in Madrid yesterday where they had Danepak back bacon and HP sauce. Had a couple of bacon sarnies today, bimbo bread, butter, bacon and sauce. Good enough for me...... :O

Solid Rust Twotter
15th May 2005, 16:57
RR

Sounds good except for the apricot halves. One is not enamoured of chucking fruit into good grub.

Slice baguette lengthways and rub with a clove of garlic. Lightly toast in a pan with a few drops of olive oil. Fry thick slices of home cured shoulder bacon in a little lard until golden and fat just begins to crisp. Arrange chunks of Camembert and bacon on baguette, top with fried tomato slices, fried aubergine and aioli. A few drops of Tabasco then lay a couple of fried eggs on top. Salt and white pepper to taste. Close with top of baguette.

Enjoy while toasting toes in front of fire with mug of tea and good book.

Call blacksmith to arrange appointment to chip cholesterol off aorta.

dazdaz
15th May 2005, 17:05
Flying cargo, it's either pre-made sandwiches and a flask of coffee, but my little treat is 'bacon and fried cheese' butties.

Using CampGas for my little burner.......

1) fry bacon (put to one side)
2) fry the cheese until soft and melting (mature white cheddar)
3) Place slice of bread on to the melting cheese and allow it to adhere to the bread.
4) place bacon on and make a sandwich.

Keeps me happy

Dazdaz

ExSimGuy
15th May 2005, 19:36
Drive out of Riyadh on the Dammam Highway for 250 miles, cross over the causeway into Bahrain.

Go to Al-Osra on Budayah Highway and purchase bacon. (yes, preferably the British brands)

Drive back to the causeway and try to get through Saudi Customs post.

Get bacon confiscated.

Drive back 250 miles to Riyadh, remove the frozen pack that the customs post did not spot last time, fry, wrap in Arab Unleavened bread and consume.

Aaaaaaah :)

chiglet
15th May 2005, 20:26
"Morrison"s Sandwich roll [a bit like a French Stick], warmed in the oven.
Oyster cut Wiltshire cured bacon...grilled
Fresh tomato and lettuce.
Apply butter [of your choice] to both side of roll' bacon to bottom slice, then tomato,[lots of pepper, white by preference] lettuce, then top of roll.........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :ok: :ok:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Blacksheep
16th May 2005, 01:13
Bacon being off the menu round these parts, one substitutes that alternative for the title of World's Best Buttie - the Egg Banjo.

I just hope you all realize what a sadistic, dastardly bunch of unspeakable, infidel, torturing swine you are. Not a morsel of bacon has passed these lips these thirty years past, but I can smell a pan of frying rashers from twenty miles and the old lips quiver and the tongue drools, just as they always have.

Eat your cursed bacon sarnies you rotters, but please refrain from discussing them in public. :sad:

Buster Hyman
16th May 2005, 02:59
If I may interject for a moment...

Butties (pl. adj. Butty) are indeed well known in the Atipodies. However, I might just add that Bacon & Egg are delicious on a nice Toastie! Very simple, very tasty.

Reminds me of the Rabbit that used to buy the same Toastie at his local for years. One day the manager convinced him to try a different Toastie. Reluctantly, the Rabbit did so. After consuming the said Toastie, he immediately collapsed. When the Paramedics arrived they asked the manager how it could have happened, the Manager replied; "He tried Mixing my toasties!"

Yep...that ought to have killed off another thread!....

AirNoServicesAustralia
16th May 2005, 03:34
It's all very simple really. You hop in your car and pop down to the British Club in Abu Dhabi, and sit by the pool or beach, and order your Bacon Buttie. While you wait for it to come, you take in the lovely sights (ie. the Yummy Mummies in there little bikinis), and if you are on a day off and it is sufficiently late in the day, you wash it down with a nice cold pint of lager. Ahhhhh Expat life, you gotta love it!! :ok:

Blacksheep
16th May 2005, 04:31
AirNoServicesAustralia, may your infidel balls turn square and fester at the edges... :{

AirNoServicesAustralia
16th May 2005, 06:40
Blacksheep, dunno about turning square, but in this very relaxed Muslim country, there is ample opportunity to make your balls fester down at the nightspots around town.

Thankfully the locals allow us infidels to live a pretty normal western lifestyle here.

Gotta love sitting by the pool this morning watching the water aerobics class while eating a pretty good bacon buttie (although I would like the bacon a little crispier to be honest). Bottoms up Blacksheep! ;)

ExSimGuy
16th May 2005, 16:53
Thankfully the locals allow us infidels to live a pretty normal western lifestyle here
Mmmmm . . . Only one letter different, but so not the case here

("AUH" :) - "RUH" :( )