PDA

View Full Version : USMC slating the Harrier

Razor61
13th May 2005, 14:15
On the History Channel today there is a programme about the Harrier. The Programme is called "Engineering Disasters".

The USMC are slating it saying the AV-8A was the worst design they have come across because it kept 'rolling over'.
They also state the Harrier has the worst accident rate in their service....
Then they are moaning about the Pegasus engine being under powered.

Other words used was "Notoriously bad" design.

I don't think the Harrier should be named in 'Engineering Disasters', especially the Yanks slamming it when they couldnt achieve it in the first place (only to make it better).

Stan Bydike
13th May 2005, 15:40
I well remember visiting the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. The whole museum "drag" is great and puts a lie to the "museums, art galleries, churches etc" and was well worth my day off.

I must admit though, that I did find it quite amusing to discover that the Americans had invented VSTOL, and, more particularly, the Harrier (Sorry, AV-8). :ok:

Tiger_mate
13th May 2005, 16:27
A visit to Kermit Wekks` Air Museum in Florida reveals that the Mustang (P-51) won World War II all on its own!!

Widger
13th May 2005, 16:57
The reason it probably has a high accident rate is probably because of the high level of skill it needs to fly it and they way that the Spams operate it!

Pontius Navigator
13th May 2005, 17:01
Whose F/A18 was that parked in the mud?