PDA

View Full Version : Travel warning.....Perth!

Onewordanswer
13th May 2005, 03:48
Australian diplomats were left red-faced yesterday after mistakenly warning that the world’s most isolated city, laid-back Perth in Western Australia, "is dangerous at this time of year".

The warning was sent in a test email to media, travel agencies and subscribers to the Australian government’s travel warning service, which warns of the dangers of travel to places like Baghdad and East Timor.

"This is a message to let you know that Perth is dangerous at this time of year. XXX," the email said.

The Department of Foreign Affairs website manager, Alan Walsh, apologised for the email, which he said was sent by an external contractor who was testing a new email system.

BlueDiamond
13th May 2005, 04:48
:uhoh:

Wingswinger
13th May 2005, 06:31
Maybe they really meant Perth in Scotland.

ORAC
13th May 2005, 06:47
I doubt they meant Perth specifically, more Oz in general. Wot with the snakes....and spiders......and crocs......and toads.......and sharks.....and ozone hole.......

It´s no wonder they need immigrants to keep the numbers topped up.... :}

defiant
13th May 2005, 07:42
It's all good. :)

The more they say it is unsafe, the more we get to keep this gorgeous place to ourselves!

Defiant.

Taildragger55
13th May 2005, 07:46
Wow, Biddy, your notoriety is spreading.

BlueDiamond
13th May 2005, 08:01
You know I'm gonna get you for that, don't you, Taily? :suspect:

Taildragger55
13th May 2005, 08:20
Yup.

Wearing the tinfoil lining on me hat for defensive purposes.:uhoh:

sprocket
13th May 2005, 08:24
I think we might find the true source of the warning was from somewhere in Ireland, Bluey. ;) :p

BOFH
13th May 2005, 09:07
As usual - blame the bloody contractor.

BOFH

Lon More
13th May 2005, 09:33
Billy Connolly summed the place up beautifully, "Box jellyfish,... these :mad:ers are giftwrapped??"

scrubed
13th May 2005, 11:07
Warnings on Perth:

Warning issued for copious rednecks, granny-bashers, car thieves, party-crashers, tall-poppy sufferers, crooked pollies and businessmen.....

Perth is a great town... as long as you don't need to go to the shops after 5pm or on a Sunday.

Love how they turn out the street-lights after 1am, too. I guess they figure decent people are all tucked up in bed by then.

Daylight-saving - "If 'The Eastern States' want us to have it then we'll go without." So we'll get up an hour earlier to do business with 'The East' rather than risk the curtains fading from the extra sunlight, or the cows not milking or the men all getting a chubby on the bus to work or whatever... :rolleyes:

Can you buy petrol on the weekends there, yet?

Perth would be a great spot if the locals knew something of the rest of the world and appreciated what they have. Instead, their idea of an overseas holiday is a weekend on Rotto. Or if you save a little more, the annual pilgrimage to Bali.... :rolleyes: Good grief..

Standard comment:

'Groper: "Perth is the best city in the world."

Normal Person: "Have you been to any other cities in the world?"

'Groper: "Umm....... No. Why TF would I??? Perth is the best."

Talk about small-man syndrome on a state-wide scale. I love it when sandgropers get p!ssed and start raving about seccessionism again.

Warning for Perth: Don't step out of line because it is a Police-State. More cops on the street than rest of the population. All of them waiting for you to bust the 50km/hr limit by 52. Cops and cameras everywhere and still the highest rate of car theft.

And wowsers. Jeezuzz, the WOWSERS in WA. A bunch of bigger whinging wowsers I have yet to find in the freakin world.

Best thing to come out of Western Australia - The Great Eastern Highway.

Avtrician
13th May 2005, 11:29
Scrubed,
you got that wrong, the 2 k tolerance is melbourne. in Perth you get a whole 5K allowance.

With the Gt Eastern, they wont let us put a border post to keep the Aliens out.

As for other Cities, I went to Kalgoorlie 33 Yrs ago, but its a bit quiet for me.