PDA

View Full Version : How old

float test
12th May 2005, 20:51
Anybody know what age upto a infant can legally sit on a passengers knee in a chopper.

cheers

Gaseous
12th May 2005, 21:07
Depends where you are

ICAO rule 6.1.3

...a seat or berth for each person on board over a minimum age determined by the state of registry.

float test
12th May 2005, 21:27
gaseous thank you uk please.

cheers

Gaseous
12th May 2005, 21:41
For UK. Additional limitations and information for UK certification.

A seat approved for use during take off and landing must be installed for each occupant. A child under the age of 2 years carried in the arms of a passenger may be left out of the count for the purposes....etc

paco
13th May 2005, 03:57
That's not including 2

Phil

B Sousa
13th May 2005, 14:05
Interesting topic and the original question has been answered. As a tour toad Im always amazed how folks who take cautions when flying, like crouching down when entering, strapping in etc. can casually carry thier infant along with no ear protection for young ears, sit them on their laps and knowing if something occurs the kid will be the first meat missle out the window.....
Something wrong here.

Gaseous
13th May 2005, 14:08
Well said Bert,

Although I answered the question from a regulatory point of view I would not allow a child to be carried in such a manner, nor one who would not wear ear defenders, in my aircraft.

I do not know the insurance situation for the meat projectile.

Phil

magbreak
13th May 2005, 16:05
it is possible to buy seats belts for "small people" that attach to the adult ones much like the airlines use. We have a couple in our aircraft but haven't used them yet. The small people we're carried have been in car seats secured via the aircraft seat belts.

TeeS
13th May 2005, 17:31
Hi Magbreak

I personally hate to see those infant straps used, whether in an airliner or a helicopter. From what I can see, you strap your much-loved baby onto your lap, then in the case of an accident the baby absorbs all the impact of the parent as you jack knife over them. You have essentially turned your baby into an airbag- I would rather pay for another full price seat.

Cheers

TeeS

B Sousa
14th May 2005, 00:26
"The small people we're carried have been in car seats secured via the aircraft seat belts."

Problem has to be shared in the Tour Industry with the owners. The point of Tourism from their standpoint is: 1. They are never going to see these folks again, get their Money. 2. Folks would not pay for that extra seat, thus the loss of a sale for probably two folks. 3. Its allowable to carry small ones,

GLSNightPilot
14th May 2005, 02:27
And it will continue to be allowed because the tour operators will fight tooth, nail, and thosand-dollar-bill to keep the regulations as they are, just to keep selling that extra seat.