PDA

View Full Version : Night rating//Qualification

pembroke
12th May 2005, 18:20
Just submitted an IMC application and assumed that the PPL in question would be allowed 3 hours off the 15 hour minimum because of holding a night "rating". The course was completed in under the 15 hours and a very good pass obtained.but the CAA has rejected the application saying that the night "rating" under JAR is only a night qualification and not a rating. In fact the FCL form is titled " Night Qualification". Also this is confirmed in LASORS.
I thought the night qualification reffered to an old AOPA rating! Is anyone out there as confused as I?

homeguard
13th May 2005, 00:17
The 'Night Rating' requires a minimum of three hours 'applied Instrument Training' but in addition to the Night flying training syllabus therefore those three hours could also be set against the IMC Rating, being the same. The 'Night Qualification' does not require the applied instrument training. I guess that's what they mean.

If you aint done it yer can't claim it. That simple

-IBLB-
13th May 2005, 05:29
They are calling it a qualification now, because they are making a difference between things that can expire, and things that can't.

The night qualification can't expire, but an instrument/type/etc. rating can expire.

-IBLB-

Whopity
17th May 2005, 20:29
Read LASORS E 3.4. If you hold a night rating issued pre-JAR i.e. before 1999 then that will have included 4 hours of IF as a prerequisite to completing the night rating. 3 of those 4 hours were creditable towards the IMC rating. You must therefore include those 3 hours as dual IF training on the IMC application making the total time up to at least 15 hours.

If you have a night qualification issued post JAR i.e. after 1999 then you did not require the additional dual IF therefore there is nothing to credit. If you did any additional dual IF training associated with the night rating then you can count that towards the IMC total. If your application shows less than 15 hours then it will be rejected.

When you completed the application the examiner is required to sign it and he should check that you are eligible.