PDA

View Full Version : BA7738 - 11th May 2005 - MAN to SOU

Info Please
12th May 2005, 06:47
A member of my family was on this flight and would like to know what led to the precautionary disembarkation / evacuation just as the aircraft pulled on to stand. The pax were guided to the terminal, but given no further info and dispersed under thier own steam.

I'm deliberately not posting any details as I'm not interested in speculation - I have a very detailed account of the flight and would like to hear from from someone who knows what the cause was.

PM me if you prefer.

Thanks for any info.

cargo boy
12th May 2005, 09:01
Errr... excuse my ignorance but if as you say "...precautionary disembarkation / evacuation just as the aircraft pulled on to stand." why shouldn't the pax disembark? If no one was hurt and the aircraft is reusable then I would imagine that the flight terminated successfully! :rolleyes:

The a/c arrives on stand at its destination and the pax disembark. End of story or am I missing something? Unless the pax were ordered to "evacuate" the a/c then what is your point? :rolleyes: As for (at destination and on stand) "precautionary disembarkation"... WTF :confused:

I do really hope we are not turning this forum into a paranoia/conspiracy site for 'Mr Worried' of Peckham to tell us about his mates confusion of aviation terminology. :hmm:

Hand Solo
12th May 2005, 09:04
Precautionary Disembarkation is what you do when you want all the passengers off pronto but without a full scale evacuation. We sometimes do them for large fuel spills and everyone piles off the aircraft using the steps from multiple exits rather than queuing up to disembark via a jetty.

Info Please
12th May 2005, 09:11
The situation was exactly as per my post. The a/c turned onto stand and a precautionary disembarkation was initiated by the captain. It was not a normal disembarkation - pax were told to leave the a/c quickly and calmly. It was not an evacuation - it was a precautionary disembarkation.

Do you know what the events leading up to this were or not? If the answer is "no", thanks for your contribution and next please! ;)

jammydonut
12th May 2005, 09:48
Very curt for a first time {Journo} poster....why not ring Southampton BAA Press liaison.
Perhaps this is linked to the 777 that allegedly landed yesterday and they needed the stand cleared to make space.

Ranger One
12th May 2005, 12:32
This is interesting. Disclaimer: I've never worked for BA and don't know any differences in terminology they may use for some of this.

An evac is an evac is an evac; down some or all of the slides, as per SOPs.

A precautionary disembarkation is as the poster describes it - everyone off now please, quickly and calmly, by all available stairs.

But the OP states:

The pax were guided to the terminal, but given no further info and dispersed under thier own steam

So, how and when were they reunited with their personal possessions?

Something doesn't add up here...

R1

Info Please
12th May 2005, 13:16
Ranger,

I imagine some pax left bags etc on board, others didn't. The chap I'm talking about had no need to return to the a/c - (travelling light / bag at hand / at feet etc).

Don't know what hapoened to pax who needed to recover bags from a/c, or whether they were told anything.

ForestFlyer
16th May 2005, 05:55
It was a smoke alarm in the cockpit.

My source at the airport says that a Duty Manager (Aviance or airport i'm not sure, forgot to ask) went to arrivals to explain what had happened to any passengers wanting to know and also that Aviance staff recovered any personal belongings from the a/c once the all clear had been given.

Sparkle
16th May 2005, 13:10
great: Forest, well done!!

so info's mate has now the reason to try to sue the company coz he's sooooo traumatized having obv so closely avoided certain death!
Don't you get it?:yuk:

wonder if his mate actually listened to the CC demo, and checked where his nearest suitable exit was!

Info Please
16th May 2005, 18:40
Nice try Sparkle.

No-one is going to sue the company, no-one is traumatized and everyone listened to the CC brief. It's just a curious pax who had a curious incident and would like to know more about it.

I don't think 'eveidence' from pprune would stand up in a zimmer frame, let alone a court.

Relax. :ok:

PS - I'm the bogey man :E :E :E AND I'M COMING TO GET YOU!!!

parttimer
17th May 2005, 22:15
It was smoke in the cockpit. upon landing something (excuse my ignorance of technical a/c terms) wire like became unattatched and arc'd to several other wires causing smoke. The pax as stated were asked to leave a/c quickly. Then Aviance staff and engineers took pax's belongings to arrivals after all clear from fire crew/ engineers. The A/C GEMBO I believe flew again to MAN the following morning as scheduled.

jonseagull
19th May 2005, 10:27
boy you guys are paranoid !!!

DRAGONBREATH
20th May 2005, 11:41
What a pack of dogs you lot are... all "Info Please" asked was a simple question and most of you lot turned on him... get a life!