PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Fiction

SEL
11th May 2005, 23:49
Hi All

Here is a question for you all.

We've had threads on here about helicopter films, documentaries and text books but what about fiction? Have any of you read any good novels with helicopters in? There seems to be a lot for the fixed wingers, what about us?!

paco
12th May 2005, 04:35
Dennis Kenyon has his fingers worn down by the keyboard as we speak! Watch this space.....

Phil

teeteringhead
12th May 2005, 07:48
What? The question is nearly 10 hours old and noone's mentioned "Chickenhawk"!

Three Blades
12th May 2005, 07:53
I did not have Chickenhawk down as fiction

Whirlybird
12th May 2005, 08:05
I have an idea for one all mapped out in the back of my mind. Watch this space in......a few years, judging by how little spare time I have. :{

jellycopter
12th May 2005, 08:18
Try reading the crew's account of the ditching in the Drake Passage on the ill fated trip to the south pole a couple of years ago. What a vivid imagination! J

TheFlyingSquirrel
12th May 2005, 08:22
I got a great one - how about the CPL student who got promised a job at a flying school and actually got one at the end of his training? Will be a best seller !! ( I could give away at least 3 copies anyway ! )

212man
12th May 2005, 08:22
Jellycopter,
how can you say that? You've shattered my illusions!!!:{

magbreak
12th May 2005, 10:03
And no one has mentioned Budgie the helicopter Created by HRH The Duchess of York.

http://www.entertainmentrights.com/_inline/5875/image1

ConwayB
12th May 2005, 11:51
Whilst it may not really constitute fiction, check out "Air America" (formerly called "The Invisible Air Force") about the CIA's airline.

It's interesting to read about how a few companies, some RW soem FW which still exist today, were run by the CIA to gather information and further their causes during the Cold War.

Rivetting stuff that you couldn't even begin to imagine.

Some interesting stuff:

Military officers were seconded to AA and their careers continued in the service on paper. When they returned to the service, it was as though they hadn't left.

Also, for those in Australia old enough to remember the Nugan Hand bank murders/suicide, the allegations of gun running for the Iranians during the early '80s on behalf of the CIA through Australia.

Happy reading and safe flying.

Conway B

Cyclic Hotline
12th May 2005, 15:10
I've encountered quite a few fictional log-books over the years.

But generally the greatest works of fictions are contained in CV's. The helicopter industry is an unknowing nurturer of fictional writing skills!:oh:

But if you want to hear some good helicopter fiction - just hit the crew room on any given day. If you still didn't get enough, then try assembling the same individuals in the pub in the evening!

Best (fictional) story I ever heard was the guy that landed on a whale!;)

What Limits
12th May 2005, 18:14
I landed on the roof of a supermarket once, does that count?

teeteringhead
13th May 2005, 08:22
There was a novel called "Strela" which was set in the mid 1970s in the Dhofar (Southern Oman) War. It was written by an Australian called Mike Shanley, who flew Skyvans for the Sultan of Oman's Air Force (SOAF) in that little-known war.

Someone loaned me a copy years ago (cos I was there and knew Mike) and it contains a fair bit of flying, including helicopters (SOAF flew Hueys and Jet Rangers at the time), but being a good boy I returned it. The non-flying scenes of "aircrew relaxation" are comparable to Chickenhawk or Air America; however unlikely they sound, I assure you they were very much based on fact!

Have just checked the well-known South American river to no avail - maybe it was only published in Oz?? But a good red blooded read anyway.

Gaseous
13th May 2005, 09:06
I read a book a few years ago about a woman Gazelle pilot, operating in Northern Ireland. She was a bit of a maverick but the best pilot. When she left the services she became a Citation pilot and was bored senseless. It was my wifes book and I can't remember what it was called. I'll ask her when she gets home.

It was a reasonable read if a bit slushy at times.