PDA

View Full Version : Brits in the USA

EnglishmaninNY
11th May 2005, 13:20
Hi all

I'm sitting at work bored out of my brain, and I thought it would be fun to see how many of my fellow countrymen ended up over here for one reason or another? I'm just interested to hear your stories, especially if you came over here to pursue an aviation career, and you made it / got sidetracked etc.?! It would cheer up my day to hear your stories :O

Here's my story in a nutshell. I finished up university in Lancashire (originally from Kensington in London) and decided to come to the US to finish my PPL in San Diego. After being over here for a while, I decided to stay (I have citizenship), and see if I could continue through the ratings and eventually land a job. The next few months were tough, as I was very homesick (9/11 time period), but I then met a wonderful girl to whom I'm now married and have a 2 year old son. Due to the cost of having a child, paying for a house etc., the flying has been slow, but I do still manage to get up occasionally! I have put a flying career on the back-burner, and I am progressing strongly through selection for the FBI, which I am excited about. Anyway, I look forward to hearing your stories...

cheers ;)

EiNY

**mods - sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it..thx.

EnglishmaninNY
12th May 2005, 14:01
come on guys and girls, I know there are a few of you over here! Don't be shy :oh:

Tarnished
12th May 2005, 15:56
Been in Texas for a year now working for BAES with LM on JSF.

Previous existance no longer available after broken back.

Would be interested to hear how to turn my E1 visa into a permanent one to allow me to retire here legally.

Any ideas?

Tarnished

EnglishmaninNY
12th May 2005, 17:42
Tarnished

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any ideas offhand, but I'll see if I can ask around and get back to you.

cheers

EiNY

Onan the Clumsy
12th May 2005, 18:39
I went to university in Kensington (originally from Lancashire).

I finished university and started work in the City. I had a girlfriend at the time who was doing a French degree, so she'd spent a year in France in some heart stoppingly romantic village in the Loire. I figured I had to work abroad for a while athen we could settle down and make babies :confused:

Well we split up - I think I forgot to tell her about the job and phoned her from New York :}

I managed to weasel a six week period between the jobs, so I hitched around Europe for a while, came back to Natwest and said "leave five poonds in my account and give me the rest in Gringo Dollars" They gave me twenty three of them :ugh: It was my second time in an airliner (I think) so I had to buy a headset and ended up here with "tventy dollar".

I lived in Brooklyn for a couple of years and really enjoyed it (at least I enjoy the memories if that makes sense) Went back to the UK, decided I wasn't done with the US so came back to the same job. Oh and there's another (American) girl and a stay in Santa Barbara and the Pacific Crest Trail in there somewhere.

So they moved me down to Texas, where I soon ran into a French woman ;) who is now my wife (Hanging on to Europe you see). I started jumping, then got a PPL, then went part 141 when everyone was doing it and flirted on and off with flying ending up with some Part 135 stuff and a lot of flying jumpers. I've thought about a career, but financially it really doesn't make mch sense when you have a job in IT.

Anyway, I like to tell people in a strong Russian accent "I kome heere wit tventy dollar and now have beeg house and beeg woman. Is wery good to be in Amerika."

Not done the citizenship thing though, but have filled in the paperwork several times. I do have one cloud though because I never signed up for selective service (The Draft) This was because I didn't have too, but now questions are being asked and it doesn't matter how many times I cut and paste their own website, I'm stuck in beuraucratic purgatory on that one. :{

ExSimGuy
12th May 2005, 19:15
Daughter (the one in PHL) says she wants me to come over there - threatens to do the paperwork for "sponsored immigrant" status, but it's more than a year so far and no paperwork yet:bored:

And then they tell me it takes about 2 years after the first papers are submitted . . . I'll be retired before that happens!

Interesting idea though ;)

Crepello
12th May 2005, 21:15
Ah yes, bored out of your brain at work... I can relate to that; I'll take a breather.

My tale: Grew up on the banks of the Mersey, studied in the midlands, became an engineer in the oil industry. Enjoy the job but not the sector so I'd been wondering what I wanted to do 'when I grew up'. Thought I'd try flying so visited California in 2001 to start my PPL. Had great fun until the 9/11 groundstop; returned in 2002 to finish up.

Returned home with designs on the ATPL but did my sums and decided it'd be financial suicide. Nothing else attracted me so stuck with the dayjob. Out of the blue, I was offered a 2-year transfer to the Gulf Coast. Started packing that evening.

That was 18 months ago and I've had the time of my life, so am batting to extend. I miss family & friends but little else about Europe - sorry. Don't yet know if I'd settle here but I'm very taken by the people, the energy and the lifestyle. When the going's good you can fly cheaply, eat well, party hard, drive an obscenely large vehicle and generally enjoy a quality of life that's hard to match elsewhere. And in these parts, it must be said, the British accent goes down spectacularly well with the ladies. :ok:

Good luck with the FBI, EiNY. I'd like to try the police reserves but don't have residency, which also rules out the Civil Air Patrol and concealed carry. Some aspects just aren't so much fun!

EnglishmaninNY
13th May 2005, 01:52
thanks for the replies chaps; very interesting to hear your stories.

Onan,

Sounds as if you've had a fun journey. Do you prefer Texas to NY; I know the weather is nicer?!! :p

ExSim; I hope the paperwork comes through for you!

Crepello;

That's quite an adventure also! I also miss family and friends back in Blighty, but the longer I'm here, the more it feels like home. I agree that you can have a better standard of living here (even though there's almost anarchy here now over the $2.29 gallon :p ). Certainly agree that the English accent worked well (married now) :ok: If you do end up settling/having residency, good luck with joining the reserves if that's what you'd still like to do.

All the best
EiNY:

Loose rivets
13th May 2005, 02:36
Gad, Sir! A chance to read my memoirs to someone...stand by one, they're around here somewhere. :8

FLCH
13th May 2005, 03:29
I was born in Wolverhampton, and went to flight school in California back in he late 70's (when flared pants were in) Hamble had just closed down as there was a glut of pilots in the UK. Flew up in Canada for a while, came back to the US in '82 or so, flew instructor for a year, then corporate, got married in '85 (Uh Oh ...20 years is coming up fast) then got on with ASA a commuter out of Atlanta. Got on with Continental Airlines in '87 been here ever since, Got a sprog in '91. I usually bid to fly to the UK on the 7576 (to see my friends and family and get paid to do it). I finally made captain on the 7576 on this last bid after 18 years, but haven't done training yet. I remember vividly my secondary school teacher (yes I failed my 11 plus exams) told me if I became an airline pilot, pigs would fly and he consigned me to work at Stewarts and Lloyds the local steelworks in Bilston, well with stupidity and luck later.... I truly believe that pigs fly.

Blacksheep
13th May 2005, 03:32
I'm beginning to see why Americans seem to think we English are all nuts. ;)

Of course pigs can fly FLCH - just check out Danny's avatar.

nouseforaname
13th May 2005, 12:05
EINY do you live in San Diego? I was staying there last summer in Del Mar, really liked it and i'm definitely going back.

Have to say when you come out of the airport at home and see the black cab's again I always say to myself this is the place i like best.

If it wasn't for the US though I wouldn't be able to enjoy private flying as much as I do.

TD

EnglishmaninNY
13th May 2005, 14:28
keep them coming guys, I'm having another boring day at work..!

FLCH - very interesting; that's what I'd mapped out for myself ideally, but I seem to be deviating from the dream somewhat. I bet that you feel like sending your old teacher some nice shots from the flightdeck at FL360 :p

Loose Rivets - I'm all ears!

nouseforaname - I'm actually living on Long Island, NY, but spent a couple of summers in San Diego; It was beautiful, but personally, I love the NE area of the country more. As for coming home, you're correct. I always love to return to the UK, especially London (apart from Xmas day trying to get home with no transportation running!), but find that after seeing family and friends and family, and after filling my rental car with petrol, I'm keen to get back overe here :ok:

FLCH
13th May 2005, 14:48
EnNY , Yes I would but old chap assumed room temprature long ago.....

BahrainLad
13th May 2005, 15:05
Born in Surrey.

Brought up in Portugal and Bahrain.

Went to boarding school in Berkshire.

University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Worked in Newcastle for a bit, got a graduate job in London.

6 months in to the job, they've posted me to our New York office for 6 months. Living on the Upper West Side, having a terrific time.

Becuase of expat background, found settling in very easy.

(Plus - getting paid in UKP!)

chopperpilot47
13th May 2005, 15:32
I trained at a helicopter school in Pennsylvania after 3000 hours in aeroplanes. I bought the school and moved to the USA on an L1 visa. the school had one helicopter. I now have 4 and things are looking up after some horror stories.

So far my green card application has taken nearly 2 1/2 years. I have apparently been approved so my adjustment of status is likely to take 1 - 2 more years.

An employee stole a spectacular amount of money from the company. Don't ever put a helicopter in for maintenance without a contract as an estimate means absolutely nothing. If someone can have you over they will. Only shake hands with someone to say hello and goodbye. Don't use it as a gentleman's agreement.

I'm sorry if this sounds cynical but my experiences are not untypical. It is the land of opportunity and living there is great but there are some downsides.

Chopperpilot 47

Crótalo
13th May 2005, 17:05
Sounds like EiNY and Bahrain Lad aren't too far from each other. Maybe a NY mini-bash is in order!

ExSimGuy
13th May 2005, 19:51
Hey! Make it when I'm on holiday (sorry - vacation!) in PHL at my daughter's place,and there'll be one more there (no - two - daughter "Effo the Effay" wil be there too;) )

Onan the Clumsy
13th May 2005, 19:53
cp47 That's aviation for you. It's full of angels and devils, with nobody in between.

gooneydog
13th May 2005, 20:13
West Coast Scotty came to Canada in 82 and US in 87 various things led to DC-9 cappy ( it;s old but it still NEEDS me ) Now #5 in seniority in a Far Part 121 airline Still visit UK when I can

Robbie

ihoharv
16th May 2005, 01:40
Came here in 1991 as a tourist and ended up staying for the last 14 years. Long story but eventually made my peace with the (then) INS and actually became a US Citizen in 2001.

Live in San Francisco and fly for fun. Have a Commercial Multi-engine (and seaplane) but don't fly instruments much. Recently flew with Wayne Handley for a week receiving instruction in his Extra 300 which was a lot of fun. Used to own an experimental biplane but sold it after three years - became a reasonable taildragger guy though..

I like San Francisco a lot - it's a city completely unlike any other and the locals are a colorful bunch.

Onan the Clumsy
16th May 2005, 04:10
My favourite city in the US. I get to go there from time to time as I have a friend who lives in Excelsior. She married a chap from Manchester. I should be living in San Francisco, or the mountains somewhere. It's funny how things turn out.

nouseforaname
16th May 2005, 07:04
Bahrain lad...you didn't go to elstree school did you?

Loose rivets
16th May 2005, 07:50
I started to write why I'm in the valley in Texas, and it became so long and boring that people who read it started hanging themselves while dousing themselves in gas and asking for a light. So a much shorter version.

Fact is, that when we found that 2/3 rds of our grand kids were coming here, I was less than excited. There is a fabulous uni here and that's why we are in Edinburg but I find little else of interest. The people are very, very pleasant and our road is a nice mix of Hispanic and well...not Hispanic. I was asked my race on a form once...I just said to the woman, rather meaningfully, that I had no concept of what that meant.

I found a house in a nice little oasis near a river and golf course, which would be nice if I fished or played golf. I have some good long term friends in Austin but don't get to see them as much as I used to.

Mrs R just wants to be with the g-kids, while I would like to be with them 50% of the time. But it's just too far from the Red Lion to make the lunch time sessions.

We've had good visas for 30 years, but recent problems made us decide to go for residency. At our age it took just a few weeks, and oddly they gave us the right to work.

I have another son and grandson in Austin but it's nearly six hours of driving between houses...Texas is big. In fact it would take Douglas Adams to adequately describe how big Texas is. No doubt it would be logged in the guide as "largely flat"

A daughter in London means that we need to go home still. Her two bed flat near Ali Pally? Would buy a huge house here with pool etc...but she just loves where she is. I cant afford to keep a place going in the UK anymore and I dread driving up to my old house by mistake. I was in it for 33 years! It was really tough leaving that.

For many years we used my sister in law's house at Canyon lake. It's a great stone edifice on its own mini mountain. GPS says 1240 ft., so it's a lot cooler than the lower areas....and much cooler than here. 200 quid used to get the whole family out on a Caledonian standby and the house was almost always empty with a car to use. I made an affordable holiday for someone with a large family, but I wished we had paid out more and seen more of the States while the kids were young. I studied for my ATP in that house one winter and I have never been so cold. Even the waterbed was getting ice in it. I lit a fire in the vast stone fireplace and got in there with it. I was burning anything that was not painted. Even the resident raccoon came out of the woodwork to keep warm with me.

Not only is it around 100F most of the summer in the valley, the humidity is so high that one can reach out and scoop a cupful of distilled water out of the atmosphere. Well, not quite, but digging my irrigation pipes into the ground left me with only the slightest suntan after several hours. If the humidity drops you can instantly feel the sunlight start to bite, and you need to be out of it in minutes. It would be nice to winter here like the Winter Texans.

I have always fancied a small town lifestyle in the NE but my son would like to head West. I loved Tennessee, the houses round some of the lakes were modestly priced and the rock and wooded ‘shoreline' was stunning. Towering stone cliffs 50' or more high The water was clean enough to drink, and almost no one around. It was a short drive away from the mountains and is just that bit further North to have four seasons. I could settle there.

Opps gone into hyper-rabbit again. I'm off. Cheers

topcat450
16th May 2005, 10:12
If anyone has any jobs going in Newport Beach, CA or Clearwater, FL give me a shout! PLEASE!! Another summer of British weather and I might even be forced to move to Spain or something!

Flyrr100
16th May 2005, 13:46
Hi....

Ok... here's mine:

Came to Texas in 1987. Really just to hang out with a Brit buddy for a month or two. I had a pocket full of money after selling a house in London, so I enrolled at Pegasus Flight Center in Ft. Worth. That was a blast! Did all my stuff up to CFII in about a year. After the bust (Pegasus people know what I mean) I went back to the UK with a position at Lakenheath's Aero Club, teaching GIs to get their US licences in UK airspace. That was different, having never flown in the UK before!

I met and married an American gal and we moved to Vegas. There I flight instructed for 4 years. That was fun. I miss Vegas.

After flying a Pt 135 C402 for a time from Miami to the Bahamas (great the first time, but got real old after eight months of single pilot IFR in the South Florida weather) I got a job with a midwest commuter airline. Started on the Metro III. Made captain in a year and never looked back. After a short stint in the J-31, and 3 1/2 years in the Saab 340, in 1999 I was checked out on the EMB145. Been flying it ever since.

Now I live happily in Central Florida, where I'm based. I havn't been back to the UK since just before 9/11. And with the current dollar rate It'll be a while before I go again!

I lived in Ohio for 4 years. It was interesting. I was probably the only Brit in the county. Now I'm in Florida, there are Brits everywhere! Thats not necesarally a bad thing. But I do tend to avoid bars filled with people in soccer shirts, addidas shorts, sandles, white legs and black socks!

What do I miss? Afternoons at Stamford Bridge, swapping engines in old Cortinas with my buddy Paul, a good steak & kidney pie and a pint.

I'm now a patriotic US Citizen. I don't think I'd ever change anything.

Jeff

Paul_atp
16th May 2005, 14:04
Hello . I'm a Brit in PA , USA. ATP/CFI fixed wing.

I just found this thread, don't know I missed it !

I'm on my way to (non aviation) work but I will post my story later.

Cheers

Paul.

Onan the Clumsy
16th May 2005, 14:13
Spiffing thread chaps. Keep 'em coming.

I remember Pegasus over at Meacham. Mostly dark blue I think but they all had a round emblem on the tail so were easy to spot (and avoid :p) Lot's of Frencies with them too if I remember. Then there was that unpleasentness, details of which are a little cloudy now, but I no longer see their a/c.

My 141 school was in Mckinney. What a terrible place it was too. After I finished, it was a long time before I flew again that's how much it sucked.

402s in Florida...Horizon Air perhaps? Seems like it'd be good fun for a while at least.

Ozzy
16th May 2005, 14:14
I've been over here since 1991, one daughter was born in the UK, the other born here and hence has a nice shiney blue US passport. Me, the wife, and Ozzette #1 have these maroon Euro passports.

What are the pros and cons of going for US citizenship?

Ozzy

SmilingKnifed
16th May 2005, 16:17
Much shorter life story......

Brought up in Nottinghamshire with a Welsh background. Joined the RAF aged 18 and did all but the last 2 weeks of multi-engined pilot training, then got a bit shafted to say the least. Bummed around in a ground job fo a year and then resigned to come out here...

To sunny Naples, Florida! Currently doing my ATPL and possibly coming back in the Autumn. That said, there's always the temptation to stay. Met a nice girly, still get to play a bit of rugby and all in the sun. Not bad at all!:ok:

Onan the Clumsy
16th May 2005, 16:35
What are the pros and cons of going for US citizenship? Good question.

Pros

I guess if you've been here that long, you might as well as you've basically made it your home
Regulations get tighter and tighter and it may only be a question of time before all dirty foreigners have to wear an ankle monitor, even decent British people. Hopefully it won't come to that, but the country is looking inwards at the moment
There are some jobs that require citizenship, but they are not many.
You get to vote.

Cons

Technically you don't really need it if you have a green card.
Sixty years ago our chaps were fighting off Hitler and raining death on German cities. It seems a little ungrateful to them to then want to belong to a different country, although at least it's one that obviously was a great ally back then
You'll start wearing more plaid, maybe even white shoes

So if you have a green card, it's not really necessary. It's more a question of expressing your commitment.

ihoharv
16th May 2005, 17:32
As a citizen you are also eligible for jury duty. Depending on the relative lawlessness of your locality you will get summoned...

They just peel the names off the DMV register these days so the first question they ask - at least in San Francisco County - is "are you a citizen?"

I actually don't mind. All a part of a civic and social obligation, etc., but then I'm in a demographic that usually gets bounced off.

Another possible green card vs. citizenship determinator (is that a word?)...If your finances are complex - esp. re inheritance planning - be sure to retain a good tax attorney.

EnglishmaninNY
16th May 2005, 17:39
So great to come back after the weekend and see all the replies; I've really enjoyed reading them, and feel somewhat comforted that there are so many brits over here. I feel as if the US is my home now, but I always relish the opportunity to reminisce about the UK!

Crótalo / ExSim / Bahrain Lad - I would love a mini-bash in NY!

Flyrr100 - quote " I lived in Ohio for 4 years. It was interesting. I was probably the only Brit in the county. Now I'm in Florida, there are Brits everywhere! Thats not necesarally a bad thing. But I do tend to avoid bars filled with people in soccer shirts, addidas shorts, sandles, white legs and black socks!"

-Hilarious!!

It's the start of a new week, and I'm still bloody bored at work, so PLEASE keem 'em coming :ok:

cheers

EiNY

Onan the Clumsy
16th May 2005, 18:28
ihoharv Down here, they ask "Are you a citizen of Texas?" :confused:

White Bear
16th May 2005, 18:50
Born and raised in Northern Essex, same part of the county as Loose rivets I believe. Worked for the MOD in London as a Technical Officer until at age 33 I visited a friend in Minnesota. Met a girl, and down I went. I’ve lived here for 24 winters. Still carry a British passport, but as Onan says it’s time to commit, I’m not going back. Visit the UK now and then, but find it all very small and crowded now, roads too narrow, houses very small, and no one smiles!

The wonderful opportunies available to anyone who is prepared to work hard. Beautiful country. Glorious summers. Open, friendly people, great steaks, Walleye, and the joys of driving powerful V8’s without concern for their fuel consumption.

Dislikes:
SUV’s, stuffy Englishmen, anyone who wears their religion on their sleeve, and prudes. (I would in all probability developed all these dislikes anyway except the dislike of stuffy Englishmen, that would have happened earlier.) Now that I’m a little older I dislike January and February in Minnesota, it gets SERIOUSLY cold here.

Thinking of buying a winter home in Tucson, and I could volunteer at Pima. There is something starkly beautiful about Saguaro.

Regards,
White Bear.

ihoharv
16th May 2005, 19:31
Onan: well there ya go - Texas and California - two great states separated by a common Constitution!
I once thought of doing a coast-to-coast driving tour thru the southern route but was advised to remove any license plate surrounds & other identifiers that would identify me as a Californian (triple bad points for San Francisco...!)
I like Texas - business trip to Houston recently and had a great time. Never seen such huge food portions!

White Bear: fully agree with your likes & dislikes. I especially find that, with regard to Brits I meet over here, I am either completely drawn or repelled. Quite a few stuffy Brits in the local "British-American Chamber of Commerce" which led to my not renewing membership. Grammar school boys pretending to be Etonians, getting worked up over the Queen's Birthday (both) - that sort of thing...

Onan the Clumsy
16th May 2005, 19:49
Met a girl, and down I went. :ooh: The British are not generally known for such impulsive behavoir :ok:

White Bear
16th May 2005, 20:11
You forget Onan, I am an Essex boy.
You are forgiven.
W.B.

Scumbag O'Riley
16th May 2005, 20:19
Only reason to get US citizenship (if you have a green card) is so you can leave and go back home.

Onan the Clumsy
16th May 2005, 20:50
WB Good one. I just figured it was a reaction to the cold. You know, get things wrapped up as soon as possible.

S O'R I believe you just have to set foot on the soil once every six months - it might even be every twelve.

Scumbag O'Riley
16th May 2005, 21:55
Onan,

No, as a green card holder you need to demonstrate an ongoing "intent to permanently reside". This returning to the Land of the Free every 12 months thing is very misunderstood, that's only how long your green card is valid for re-entry if you leave the US.

Once you get citizenship you essentially have to remain in the US for another 12 months, then you can leave for good, but have the option to return as a resident again. You cannot do that with a green card. Keep filling in your tax return and they will leave you alone.

It was a Californian Babe in a London bar who lured me over.....

Whoops, forgot, and it's an aviation web site too. Having US citizenship makes flight training less complicated than if you only have a green card.

Onan the Clumsy
16th May 2005, 22:07
So does having a big watch :ok:

Yes, what you say makes sense.

n5296s
17th May 2005, 03:15
OK, my turn.

First, on the GC vs citizen thing, if you expect to stay the rest of your life in the US there are tax advantages to citizenship. And if you are a citizen you can leave the country for as long as you want, under any circumstances, and return when you want. You lose your GC when "intent to reside" is compromised. For sure if you sell up and move to another country, it's over. Take a three-year contract in another country, keep a house here, return every six months, and you'll probably be OK.

As for me... moved to the Bay Area in 2001 as a company move from the UK. My wife came with me, kids from previous marriage stayed in UK. We both just got our GCs and we're most likely here for another five-plus years, still trying to decide what we want to do after that.

Started flying on arrival, just PP-ASEL + IR. This is without doubt THE country for private flying, not sure I'd keep it up if I went back to Europe, between hassle, cost, weather and general lack of anywhere it makes sense to fly to privately.

n5296s

Loose rivets
17th May 2005, 08:01
Interesting points. Some folk have both passports. It used to be, that you had to hand over the UK one on swearing in. Now it seems, you don't. Any comments?

I know that the UK authorities have never seemed to care much and I have a couple of friends that have the OZ one as well as UK. Though I suppose historically, that's quite different.

Inheritance tax is not an issue for us...I intend to be stony broke when I snuff it, and right now I'm ahead of schedule.

I gathered that it was 6 months for trips away, and with a daughter in London it is an issue. The only other real pull, is the Red Lion at Kirby le Soken......forgive my repetition, but it was my second home. I used to come off a flight at LHR and say to the future Mrs R, "Three Magpies or the Red Lion?" (103 miles further ) Always the Lion won. We had my old pad to go back to.

People here do not understand about British pubs. Every day little things happen in them that is the very essence of village life. For instance, last summer. A pal comes over to where I'm sitting with an old friend, and pulls out a gun. "Nice isn't it?" he asks. "Mmmm...but are you supposed to have it ****?" I asked. "Well no, but it's nice isn't it?"

Now it's local knowledge that this fellow has been sectioned under the mental health act, after a bizarre incident in another pub. He was defending the word of God and told the bewildered officer. "It's alright, I'm a detective....to prove it, my gun is in my bag." It was. They let him out some weeks later, partly because the gun had a ‘disabled' certificate, but mostly because the medication had kicked in. Now here he was again, with another old relic, trying to have it repaired and indeed admired.

Now the point is, that everyone knew him, most tried to help him, and when he takes the pills he's fine fellow and very good company. It also happens that the new landlord is an ex police inspector....but he has invested an huge amount in the pub and also knows the offender's history. A stable, if not quite appropriate situation. Along comes another character who says that he objects to this...in principal. He has downed six pints and is just about to leave in his car. So principals are a matter of perspective it seems. Anyway he phones the police. They duly arrive in a scene befitting Z cars, and park in such a way that Douglas Adams would have described it as "anyone that thinks they can use this road, or approach this pub....can fcuk off!!"

Now this is the bit that struck me as being very funny. The landlord comes out, looks at all his old colleague–who are having the best day since a man ran himself over trying to escape after a local robbery–and simply tells them to go away. There was a low pitched ooooohhh, and they all went home. A chase and a shoot-out would not have compared to the disappointed little faces looking over the cars. If I had paid true value to be entertained like this, I would have had to part with a fortune.

Oops time again. Obviously written cos of terminal pub deprivation

EnglishmaninNY
18th May 2005, 14:55
Loose Rivets

I have dual citizenship, and have not had to give up my British one. It used to be the case that once one turned 18, one had to decide between the two citizenships. I believe at some point during the 80's, the law changed and now one can retain both passports :D

cheers

EiNY

Ozzy
18th May 2005, 15:23
Having just recently looked into the citizenship thing, you may not need to hand over your UK passport, but you have to "renounce" your previous citizenship. The UK doesn't care if you renounce or not, you can still renew your UK passport while holding a US one - just don't tell the US government you still have a UK one.

Tax advantages? I don't know about that. I would say that becoming a US citizen has a major tax disadvantage and that is that the US government taxes its citizens' income regardless of where the US citizen resides or earns the income.

So lets say you become a US citizen, then retire to a tax free island in the Caribbean. The US wants a cut of any income, including your savings interest, pension, etc you get while living "tax free".

Ozzy

Onan the Clumsy
18th May 2005, 15:29
My understanding of the situation corresponds to Ozzy's post above.

(except that I'm not sure what a UL passport is. Underwriters' Laboratory maybe? :p)

((Underwriters' Laboritory is the US equivalemt of BS - British Standards and the UL logo equates to the BS kite mark))

:zzz:

Flyrr100
19th May 2005, 12:19
I became a citizen in 1994. I guess I decided I'm here for the duration.

Pros:
I get to vote.
I don't have to mess about renewing my GC every 10 years.
It's funny, but I really did get very patriotic after I read the pledge. I even fly a flag outside my house!

Cons:
Jury duty. ( I havn't been called yet)

It's all about missing or not missing the UK. Personally I don't miss it. I love living here in my big house with a pool.
Also, the USA gave me oppoptunities the UK wouldn't have given me.
I'm an airline captain. Me! Jeff from Broom Road Secondary!

Gotta go hide... I see some white legged, soccer shitted Brits comming. Shhhh, be quiet, maybe they'll go away!

Onan the Clumsy
19th May 2005, 12:25
I presume that was suppopsed to be 'soccer Shirted'?

:eek:

Flyrr100
19th May 2005, 12:30
Oooops..... actual typing error! Really!

But, if they were Arsenal shirts maybe I was right!

Go Blues!

fernytickles
19th May 2005, 16:56
We hail from Stirlingshire and Lancashire, and now live in Oshkosh, WI. Couldn't ask for a better place to be in the summer.

Ask me again in January and I may not be quite so enthusiastic :uhoh:

And, Yes, we are going to the America/England footie game next weekend...

Astra driver
19th May 2005, 20:08
Born in Luton and grew up in a small village not far from there. Joined the Merchant Navy at 16 and wound up in Los Angeles at age 19. I managed to get a job and sort my green card out without too much of a problem (It was a lot easier back in 1982). I took my first flying lesson at Santa Monica Airport in 1989 right after my daughter was born.

I still live in the LA area and finally took up proffesional flying in 1999 after accumulating sufficient ratings, hours, money and courage. I've done stints as a flight instructor, flew Jap tourists over the Grand Canyon in a 402, did some Air ambulance work in a Westwind and now fly Movie stars in a Gulfsteam and make many trips back to, of all places, Luton.

I've now lived 23 years in the US vs. 19 in the UK and have been a US citizen for 15 years and I still get asked if I am from Australia!

Onan the Clumsy
19th May 2005, 20:30
still get asked if I am from Australia! I get that all the time too. I even have to admit I asked a South African the same thing too (well he'd only said a few sentences).

He replied "No, wrong colony mate" ;)

gooneydog
19th May 2005, 21:13
The idea of a "Brits in US " bash begins to appeal to me some

Any more takers ?

fernytickles
19th May 2005, 22:30
gooneydog

How about at the international party at AirVenture 2005?

Loose rivets
19th May 2005, 23:42
The idea of a "Brits in US " bash begins to appeal to me some

Most certainly, but for some, it would be easier to go to the UK than accross the US

It's funny, but I really did get very patriotic after I read the pledge. I even fly a flag outside my house!

More than you could do in UK.......it might offend someone :mad:

I'm an airline captain. Me! Jeff from Broom Road Secondary!

This is our primary school, but we carried on till 14 across the playground. "If you work really hard, you could get a job on the farm." philosophy ruled.

I followed in my mate's footsteps–the hard way. Guess which ones are us. edit...don't know why the pic is not here but it runs ok on mine ... how about your puter? aaaahhh! now it's making the page too wide. What's happening?

edit cos pic was knocking margins out too far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Pilotsfunny2.jpg

Onan the Clumsy
20th May 2005, 02:00
Guess which ones are us Are You the tall one on the left? :}

Loose rivets
20th May 2005, 03:50
Nope, but you get two more tries.

The tall one on the left was nice. We bought her a hair brush set for a leaving pressi, and she looked lost for words........they were crap.

The horrifying thing is that I can remember 60% of my classmates in this photo. It's from nearly 60 years ago.

i forgot to put in the big watches :ugh:

Rollingthunder
20th May 2005, 03:56
Who are the two in shades with big sloppy mustaches?

fleigle
20th May 2005, 05:37
Bugger, that school photo had me looking, it could almost have been one of mine.
Been here since 1968, from Tyneside, lived in Ohio and South Carolina before moving to the SF area in late '76.
Glad I'm from there, VERY happy to be here, couldn't go back, but its nice to visit.
Can't make it to Oshkosh, but we could have a mini-one in California...?

Loose rivets
20th May 2005, 06:39
Coppied the info about the passports thanks.

My fluffing about trying to master the photo graphics, made me miss the snappy response...too technical by far.

I know what you mean this photo must be typical of hundreds of post war group pix.

I'm in full nostalgia mode...surrounded by hundreds of photos...thousands more back in the UK in boxes. If I don't digitize them they'll all go when I pop off.

Southend flying school...run by Southend corporation in those days. £4 / hour, and one landing fee for all circuits.

Happily, the one on the right is still flying, and still has facial hair.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Chippy.jpg

Crepello
20th May 2005, 08:40
Ha - 'are you from Australia?' rings true, heard that several times meself, ditto 'are you from Scotland?' Then again, I once asked a Canadian girl whereabouts she was from "in America" - and still have the bruises... :ouch: :D

To serious matters... I've missed the Florida bashes so far (tch, tch) but could easily be talked into a drinking session. Would volunteer Southern shores but the heat's already building and hurricane season (hail, Adrian) is getting underway. Who mentioned NYC?

White Bear
20th May 2005, 16:46
Loose rivits,
Your school picture took me back to 'our' home town. I'd bet serious money you went to school at Hamilton Rd.
Regards
White Bear.

Loose rivets
22nd May 2005, 06:37
No, don't!! It were Walton on the Naze. I was saved from terminal boredom by the science master, who let me come to the lab any time I could escape from other classes. went to see him last year...one of two retaining their mortal coils LR

Flyrr100
30th Aug 2005, 13:01
I found this. If you've not seen it before, enjoy!

http://www.britishinamerica.com/goingnative.html

TheFlyingSquirrel
30th Aug 2005, 13:13
Yeah Flyrr100 - they forgot to add how the mention of ' swimming costume ' makes my little New York wife laugh hysterically - that really gets em going !! You can read her antics here !!

http://www.mrsmogul.********.com/

rugmuncher
30th Aug 2005, 13:42
Been doing a bit of stuff around the Tampa area for the past 6 years, all on the green card.

Thought I'd attach this as my "two bobs worth":

To the Citizens of the United States of America.

In light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and
thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your
independence, effective immediately. Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth
II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and
territories (excepting Kansas, which she does not fancy).

Your new prime minister, Tony Blair, will appoint a governor for America
without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be
disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine
whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following
rules are introduced with immediate effect: You should look up "revocation" in
the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up aluminium, and check the
pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been
pronouncing it.

The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as "favour" and "neighbour."
Likewise, you will learn to spell "doughnut'" without skipping half the
letters, and the suffix "ize" will be replaced by the suffix "ise".

Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable
levels. (look up vocabulary). Using the same twenty-seven words
interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and
inefficient form of communication.

There is no such thing as US English. We will let Microsoft know on your
behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of
the reinststed rules.

You will relearn your original national anthem, God Save The Queen. July
4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday. You will learn to resolve
personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that
you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not adult enough
to be independent. Guns should only be handled by adults.

If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or
speaking to a therapist then you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.
Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more
dangerous than a vegetable peeler. A permit will be required if you wish
to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and this is for your
own good. When we show you Japanese cars, you will understand what we mean.
All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start
driving on the left with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go
metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables.
Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British
sense of humour.

The Former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been
improperly calling gasoline) at roughly $6/US gallon. Get used to it.

You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are
not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are
properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and
dressed not with catsup but with malt vinegar.

The cold tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer
at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer,
and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as
Lager. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so
that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good
guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English
characters. Watching Andie MacDowell attempt English dialogue in Four
Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed
with a cheese grater.

You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper
football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be
allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football,
but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full
kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies.

Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an
event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of
America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware that there is a world beyond
your borders, your error is understandable.

You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's
Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due
(backdated to 1776).

Thank you for your attention and co-operation.

Maple 01
30th Aug 2005, 14:22
You go home and fish for a quid note to buy two pints of beer.

They have been away a long time, haven't they?

Flyrr100
30th Aug 2005, 18:51
I havn't been back to the UK since 2001. How much is a pint of best nowadays?

brockenspectre
30th Aug 2005, 19:13
Just thought that some of you might not visit the Bashes forum so here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2064318#post2064318) is a link to an Orlando get-together being planned now! and I am sure he won't mind my saying this but Keygrip is deffo up for a fall get-together (just 'cos I can't be there doesn't mean it can't happen!!!) :E :E

Maple 01
30th Aug 2005, 21:42
DependsFlyrr100, anything from £1.50 to £2.50, but can anyone remember as far back as £1 notes?

Que appearance of 'I remember the 10'- note' mob - incidentally how come there's no ‘Shillings’ symbol on my UK keyboard?

seacue
30th Aug 2005, 21:56
Question from the colonies: Why isn't the 5 pence piece called a shilling?

Onan the Clumsy
31st Aug 2005, 00:42
Cos the shilling is old money and is twelve old pennies, whereas the five pee is new money. They're worth the same (or at least they convert (or at least converted) ).

It's a little like comparing Confederate Dollars with current day dollars. The Confederate dollars don't exist any more.

Two's in
31st Aug 2005, 01:16
Like some others, I just found this thread. Amazingly common experiences for most of us I think. Have been here 6 years now, finally on a GC (ask me anything about how to get a GC, I dare you!).

Had to laugh at Flyrr100 with his "Brit spotting" in Orlando. Not being judgmental, but when did anyone ever think being an international Ambassador for his or her country involved wearing an Man U strip, a pot belly and a buzz cut? - and you should see the blokes! My kids do the Sixth Sense film "I see white people", routine, and Mrs TI and I just lower our voices and say "sure, why not" all the time. Strangely Flyrr100, I too started with a couple of years in Ohio (near Dayton, which is a bit like Basingstoke but without the charm) where Brits were definitely a rare and a sought after commodity. The joy of shoveling snow for 3 months of the year finally got to us and now we moved to central Florida, where I am ashamed to admit that I try to hide my nationality when out in Orlando.

Flyrr100 - Are you out of MCO with that big Indian name outfit beginning with CH - If so I make a generous and well -deserved donation to your company most weeks from seat 2A to HSV.

Maple 01
31st Aug 2005, 01:17
Ha! How little you know Onan, as we speak teams of chaps in tweed suits are working to overthrow this decimal nonsense imposed upon the motherland. How on earth can the honest British cabby fleece the American tourist if we persist in using a base 10 counting system?

After the re-emergence of LSD Great Britain will return to the Gold Standard, re-introduce conscription and rickets will be mandatory for all working-class under fives

Britain will once again become the fashion capital of the world, forget Milan, Paris and Rome - think Brentford nylons, plus fours, stout brogues and the return of the flat cap/whippet combination for the lower social orders. 'Galls' will of course adopt the uniform of twinset and pearls - comfortable shoes an optional acessory for those that prefer to live with their 'cousins'

Every Briton's hart will lift, and as one we will go forward together, singing 'Jerusalem' as we recover the Empire - I can see it all!

God, but it will be wonderful..........

seacue
31st Aug 2005, 02:15
Onan,

You well know that Rebel money (Confederate, CSA) never had any value in the USA so the comparison with 5p / shilling doesn't seem valid.

Methinks the denigration of the term shilling was brainwashing. The people who accomplished that must have been sad that they couldn't rename the pound.

Can I join the Draper GOM club now?

HowlingWind
31st Aug 2005, 02:33
...but can anyone remember as far back as £1 notes? One can remember £1 notes not that long ago (circa 1996, IIRC). But then, they were Royal Bank of Scotland notes, and acceptance could be spotty south of the Borders. One also had RBS notes refused at a currency exchange in Malaysia about the same time, but that was not quite as surprising as having them refused by HMQ herself... :ooh:

ICT_SLB
31st Aug 2005, 03:56
First came over to the "Lazy B" to work on 767 & 747 design as BAC was in terminal mode. Found I was about the only one with civil aircraft experience among a lot of ex-Warton (MRCA) Brits. We were all working as shoppers (contract engineers) for LPL ("Lease a Poor Limey").

After 5 years found I was the last shopper in Everett and that even H-1 visas are finite. Moved up to Montreal (great beer, parties & people even if some only speak what they think is french) with Canadair. First guy I met was another ex- apprentice from Hurn. Eventually became a Canuck followed rapidly by a move to Learjet with the RJ test team (hence the handle - ICT Self Loading Ballast).

Another 5 years and the visa limits again so back to La Belle Province with beacoup business trips down south - the first year more time spent in Kansas than Quebec! Eventually moved back down permanently and got my GC - only 25 years after first arriving on Pan Am!

With the HS125 being built on the other side of town & Airbus designing wings (all by ex-Chester Brits) plus the new intake of ex-RAF Engineering Officers we've just recruited, I feel justified in saying:

The British aircraft industry is alive & well and living in Wichita, Kansas.

Flyrr100
31st Aug 2005, 12:30
I went back to the UK on 1999 with a pocket full of old two bob bits and one bob bits. They all got smaller while I was away and I was left with scrap metal!
I remember pound notes, ten bob notes, tanners, theeppenny bits, crowns and half crowns.
I agree. Bring 'em all back. Maybe bring back the old Mod and Skin'ed fashions too. At least we looked smart.

And of course, Thunderbirds are GO!