PDA

View Full Version : Is Nobody happy here????

ExSimGuy
10th May 2005, 20:31
Really depressing bunch of posts on this forum - I've been here for almost 20 years and, it sure as hell ain't perfect, but it's not a bad life (is it?)

Come on, we came here for the money, found it was a bit less, but overall our lifestyle and remuneration ain't too bad (is it?)

Rent, electricity, water is paid for. Reasonable "disposable income" ( more than I had in UK:\ ), and he WX ain't too bad.

Yep, there's problems in all the M.E countries, but am I rushing home? Sure, I worked with the Brit Forces in "Gulf One", and made some cash, but mainly because "Bloody Saddan attacked my home".

There's a lot of "gripes", but so there is at "Nigel Air" (I worked there as well)

On balance, I think I quite like it here (or should I be certified - and I don't mean on an "aircraft type" ;) )

airmemphis
10th May 2005, 23:40
Well said ExSimGuy, couldn't have put it better myself...but I guess people have to whinge and whine about something;) :ugh:

4HolerPoler
11th May 2005, 00:08
Unhappy? - not me. Plenty of opportunities still in the Sandpit and plenty of flux for those already here. Life in this area certainly ain't boring and certainly is changing by the day.

Bring it on.

4HP

mutt
11th May 2005, 03:42
Airmemphis, do you actually live in the Middle East??

I'm surprised that its only the Saudi guys who are happy.... :):)

Mutt..... looking forward to the weekend....

turtleneck
11th May 2005, 05:25
True 4HP, it's still ok around here, no doubt. But:

- Group profit up 49%
- Airline profit up 49%
- Owner's dividend up to 368m (somewhat 15%)
- Rents up est. 20%
- Cost of living, acc. diff. sources up betw. 12 and 20%

Proft share for employees (allthough admittedly a "nice to have") down 60%.
Pay increase for pilots of 8% (plus admittedly 10% housing allowance).

This seems like a great deal. Now do your maths for a similar evolution for the next 5 years, not even taking into account the weakening dollar.
It seems to me that from the moment we got a FMS doing the descent planning for us, we lost our ability to do our own maths, we just follow that white arrow fat dumb and happy. Maybe other deals are worse, but ours will be there faster than most of us want to think.
Most of us are happy to work here, to have a job - period.
But the question is: Why do some owners make more money, tickets cost almost the same and only employees get a weaker package?

Cheers ttn

airmemphis
11th May 2005, 11:25
mutt, yes at the moment I do

ironbutt57
12th May 2005, 03:57
All I have to do is look at my logbook, and reflect on previous employers states side, that puts it all into perspective....but I,m single here, for those w families, the financial side of things is not as rewarding with two kids in school etc..etc...the "two bucket" philosophy seems applicable, as always...so yes, I do enjoy myself here, despite frustrations encountered at work, which happen at all airlines, it's the nature of the business....look at the Yo-Nited folks..imagine working all those years for that fat pension, and...."poof"!! all gone....and more to come I fear....thanks very much, but I,m staying put as long as possible.

salamalikum2
12th May 2005, 04:47
hello,

i´m wondering if you guys from EK or GF ,do you operated sometimes long flight (at night) with 3 cockpit crew, 1 cpt, 1 f/o, and another f/o just seating on the jumpseat (sleeping most of the time), for 10....12 hours.. doing nothing..?Or is it a typical cheep operation performed by Q.A.:{

thanks cheers
:ok:

Earl
12th May 2005, 06:11
Things are not perfect here but much better than some airlines in the USA.
Terrorism seems to be winding down a bit and people are getting out more.
We even were paid all of our overtime this month.

fractional
12th May 2005, 07:48
It's all very relative. Hypothetically, under exactly the same package, the guy in DXB is probably happier than the guy in RUH and the examples go on.
From my experience and info from mates there, and as long as, and if applicable, the kids' school and accommodation are taken care reasonably well by the employer, one's money should offer a better life-style in DXB than in AUH or DOH, BAH better than AUH or DOH but worse than DXB. And again, all depends on one's preferences and backgrounds. Some families love it in MCT because the schools besides the lovely scenery outside the city but there are other things they deslike.
For jobless, low paid (previously) folks, and wannabe skippers, most of the established Gulf companies are a good deal. Better for the single or married with NO kids. When the latter start arriving and they are in school age, well things aren't pretty. Therefore, it's a mix & match.
I'm sure there are better employers than others. A lot has to do with the company's own HR and accounts. The guys who you need to deal with when things don't work. Most Flt Ops staff is supportive up to their limits (jurisdiction). Sometimes the flow-chart is not so flowy...
Keep flying safely!