PDA

View Full Version : Rectangular or triangular ?

Captain Lampshade
10th May 2005, 19:53
Driving home this evening my local radio station conducted a poll that seemed to have caught its listeners imagination.

In order to give it a wider audience -

What is better a rectangular or triangular.........SANDWICH? ;)

scrubed
10th May 2005, 20:03
Screw that.

How about -

What is better, a rectangular or triangular... runway/leftover bit at the top??? :=

Or nothing at all....

10th May 2005, 20:04
Depends on what is in the sandwich.

Ham, cheese, bacon, and all "thin" fillings, can be triangular.

Sausage sarnies should be rectangular. (it gives you much more to grab hold of, and looks more manly)

scrubed
10th May 2005, 20:07
Thinner the better. Bacon is not always such a good look.

A "manly" look is definitely out... :yuk:

Captain Lampshade
10th May 2005, 20:16
Agree about the sausages, but definitely think bacon should be included in rectangular, that way you can get the whole rasher especially if it back rather than crispy streaky.

scrubed
10th May 2005, 20:25
Yeah, agreed. Definitely best to get the entire rasher in somehow.

"Streaky"??? Are you thinking of slightly-browned meat?

Captain Lampshade
10th May 2005, 20:31
Scrubed

Very thin rashers of bacon, often used to cover chicken or turkey when roasting.

Gouabafla
10th May 2005, 20:32
Depends on what's in the sandwich. Toblerone goes best in triangular sarnies, Cadbury's Dairy Milk in rectangular ones.

scrubed
10th May 2005, 20:37
Okay, I'm with you. But I've never tried putting strips of bacon on it. Maybe I should...

But they all taste like chicken to me, generally.

I think a Toblerone would hurt.

Solid Rust Twotter
10th May 2005, 20:38
Why cut 'em? Smash 'em down as you would an egg banjo...

tony draper
10th May 2005, 21:25
Only sissy boys cut the crusts off sarnies.
:rolleyes:

scrubed
10th May 2005, 21:27
Who's talking about sarnies........???
:rolleyes:

LordGrumpy
10th May 2005, 23:17
The shape of the sandwhich is dependent on many factors.
The manafacturer.
Bread type, pappy white can fall apart.
The social circle in which you exist.
The place of eating said sandwhich.
The refined and out to impress; would hardly wish to be seen stuffing a square in the mouth, delicate nibbles should be taken off the corner.
I do agree with Mr Draper that to cut off the crusts, is not the done thing.

SilsoeSid
10th May 2005, 23:43
Rectangles...3 sides have crusts.
Squares.......2 sides have crusts.
Triangles......1 side has crust.

pigboat
10th May 2005, 23:43
Yeah, but cucumber sandwiches with the crusts on are just so uncouth.. :D

tart1
12th May 2005, 20:20
Yes, depends on the filling. Very full sandwiches can be a problem if cut into triangles.

Had tea at the Ritz once ......... lovely delicate triangular sarnies.

Very nice when someone else makes them! I only make triangles when I want to impress people. :O

scrubed
12th May 2005, 21:56
"tea at the ritz".... is that the latest euphemism for it, Miss Tart??

Most girls are the same, cutting it into a triangle on special occasions but some out there do it just for the hell of it..... good girls!!

Finbding a crust is worse than uncouth... it's guaranteed to spoil the mood.

JustaFew
12th May 2005, 21:56
Got to be triangular; rectangular are so square and dull.

tart1
12th May 2005, 22:05
It's Mrs Tart to you Scrubed!! ;)

(Or Madam sometimes if you like - but not what you might think. :rolleyes: )

scrubed
12th May 2005, 22:23
Yeah I probably woulda said "Madam" if you really have been trimming a little triangle....!!

:eek:

Erwin Schroedinger
13th May 2005, 06:09
And so we drift inevitably to a topic where the filling definitely makes a difference. :}

How do you like your salami Ms tart? :E

Blacksheep
13th May 2005, 09:27
Triangles for cheese and cucumber. Crusts on for cheese, crusts off for cucumber.

Rectangular for sausages, or corned beef & baked beans. Crusts on naturally, to stop the juice running down your fingers.

Etiquette is a matter of common sense, I mean, whoever heard of a triangular chip butty with the crusts cut off?

tart1
13th May 2005, 10:54
I like a big one usually, Erwin!! :ok:

Captain Lampshade
13th May 2005, 13:06
I have just returned from lunch with my wife and I suppose it has just reinforced my view.

All things considered it has to be triangular after all how can you eat a rectangular club sandwich,? and would you need a steak to keep it altogether?

AerBabe
13th May 2005, 13:08
Triangles or rectangles? :confused: Just cut the loaf in half, add your filling and eat it whole.

Rollingthunder
13th May 2005, 13:13
For bacon butties a nice soft bap is preferable, even better is a cheese bap. So circular. For other sandwiches - square is fine.

Captain Lampshade
13th May 2005, 13:21
Rollingthunder

Doesnt that mean you cannot use a whole rasher? you either have to fold it (dangerous as it may unfold and cover you with brown sauce) or cut it ?

Solid Rust Twotter
13th May 2005, 13:27
Aerbabe:ok:

Cut a baguette lengthways, mayo, lettuce, hamburger patties, bratwurst, cheese, onion, chili, bacon, tomato, mustard, ham, salami, pastrami, fried eggs and pickled aubergine.

Carve into chunks and serve with beer....

Rollingthunder
13th May 2005, 13:28
One is a purist when it comes to bacon butties. Although I like HP Sauce, one does not use it on bacon sandwiches. I think it obscures the taste of the bacon. Butter and black pepper only.

Captain Lampshade
13th May 2005, 13:32
We are now moving onto a different subject, you can say what you like but you cannot beat Daddies brown sauce.

tart1
13th May 2005, 16:35
Hang on .... which thread is this? Oh I thought it must be the bacon butties.

The two will have to be merged at this rate!! :rolleyes:

acbus1
13th May 2005, 17:41
I love big, soft baps. Ones that are so soft you can suck them gently into your mouth and swirl your tongue over them. The flavour just oozes out, making one salivate profusely.

Soft buns are nice as well, obviously with a big piece of meat . Some like large ones, some small......I really like something in between. I usually go for the white. Occasionally fancy the brown, but it can be a bit too dry, in which case a big knob of butter helps it slide down.

This is giving me an appetite........all I've got is a huge torpedo, but needs must......

pigboat
13th May 2005, 21:06
Butter on a bacon sandwich?? Geez RT I can hear yer arteries hardening from here. :D

Rollingthunder
13th May 2005, 21:09
Yeah, I know but it's a natural defence against chemical weapons and devious politicians. Not many folks know that. The butter has to be top quality tho'. Arteries need to be sturdy in any case.

tart1
13th May 2005, 21:17
Yes butter!! It's a natural product - right??

And it tastes f**king good - like nothing else. :cool:

Cut down on something else if you're worried about your arteries!

Or worry less - that is better for you. :D

MadsDad
13th May 2005, 22:44
T1.

Dipping your bread in the bacon fat is better than butter (note DIPPING the bread, not frying it) (cf Bacon Butties thread) but if you can't do that butter makes an acceptable substitute.

(and both bacon fat and butter are natural).

tall and tasty
13th May 2005, 23:57
Triangular sandwiches always when you are entertaining.
Or I love making roulonds where you roll the bread out to paper thin and fill with cream cheese/salmon or what ever that is of a fine texture and then roll the bread and filling into a swiss roll and chill for a couple of hours and then slice into little rounds

Rectangles when you have a doorstop, unless you are a little person such as my two kids and then they prefer their toast cut into triangles with crusts off, but cheese sandwiches always have to be rectangles?

Maybe cost the cheese in the packet is that shape and they think it is the best way to fit the bread??

TnT :ok: :p

Whirlygig
14th May 2005, 00:00
Or I love making roulonds where you roll the bread out to paper thin and fill
WHAT??

Life's too short love!!

Cheers

Whirls

scrubed
14th May 2005, 11:14
I thought this thread was about waxing and leaving a triangle..

What TF has mustard, HP sauce, cucumbers etc got to do with it....

Blacksheep
16th May 2005, 00:40
The only sarnie worth eating is a proper 'Dagwood'. Rectangular with the crusts on.

Master of the art he was.

Ask Blondie...